Author Topic: Justice formally asks Supreme Court to block 'plainly unconstitutional' Texas abortion law  (Read 435 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Justice formally asks Supreme Court to block 'plainly unconstitutional' Texas abortion law
By Harper Neidig - 10/18/21 01:45 PM EDT

The Biden administration formally asked the Supreme Court on Monday to block a controversial Texas law that bans abortions after six weeks of pregnancy, calling it "plainly unconstitutional."

The Department of Justice (DOJ) filed an application with the high court seeking an order that would suspend enforcement of the law known as S.B. 8 while the administration's legal challenge proceeds.

"S.B. 8 is plainly unconstitutional under this Court’s precedents," the DOJ's filing reads. "Texas has not seriously argued otherwise."

The department's brief argued that the high court should not allow the law to stand because of procedural obstacles due to the way the law was designed.

"Texas’s insistence that no party can bring a suit challenging S.B. 8 amounts to an assertion that the federal courts are powerless to halt the State’s ongoing nullification of federal law," the DOJ wrote. "That proposition is as breathtaking as it is dangerous."

Monday's filing marks the second time that the Supreme Court has been presented with the question of whether to block the Texas law. Last month, in a legal challenge from abortion providers in the state, a 5-4 majority allowed S.B. 8 to go into effect, citing the procedural obstacles presented by the law's enforcement scheme.

more
https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/577225-justice-formally-asks-supreme-court-to-block-plainly
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Hoodat

The Biden administration formally asked the Supreme Court on Monday to block a controversial Texas law that bans abortions after six weeks of pregnancy, calling it "plainly unconstitutional."

So what part of the Constitution does it "plainly" violate?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
So what part of the Constitution does it "plainly" violate?

The emanations from penumbras Jazzhead used to jabber on about.  He said that was cast in stone and we should let the babies die because robed tyrants decided it, and that's that.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

The emanations from penumbras Jazzhead used to jabber on about.  He said that was cast in stone and we should let the babies die because robed tyrants decided it, and that's that.
A name from the past.

Do you miss him?

A supposed intellectual who had an incredible bias toward killing babies in the womb.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
A name from the past.

Do you miss him?

A supposed intellectual who had an incredible bias toward killing babies in the womb.
He was like Once-ler.  Not right in the head.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
A name from the past.

Do you miss him?

I like him like I like a dose of the clap.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline libertybele

He was like Once-ler.  Not right in the head.

I can't say that I miss either one of them.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I like him like I like a dose of the clap.
Yeah, but I say the same thing about all Philadelphia lawyers.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington