Author Topic: Cell Phone Recommendations? (I'm NOT Cheap, Just Poor!)😁  (Read 2653 times)

Offline rustynail

Re: Cell Phone Recommendations? (I'm NOT Cheap, Just Poor!)😁
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2021, 10:07:04 pm »
I went with Tracfone a few years back, bought a LG smart phone for $70. I buy what I need when I need it, runs me around $20/month.

Been with Tracfone since '98.  Good deals.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2021, 10:53:37 pm »
I decided to forgo my desktop computer and see how viewing and posting would be handled on these miniature hand held 'smartphones'!

OMG!😩

THERE IS NO WAY!
You'd have to be daffy to use those things as your primary posting tool!

Agreed. I post om my laptop or my trusty Yoga notebook most of the time. even messaging would be  PIA without Bixby or Google Assistant -That may be what is missing for you. If your phone is old enough it may not have an assistant. That's the whole deal for me. If I do post from the phone in any way, I am speaking to the assistant, not typing. Even making appointments or calling someone... I just say, "Hey Bixby" and when she answers, "Call Aaron" or "Make an appointment for Tuesday at 10 am"... I seldom use a keybord if I can help it, and then only to fix errors spit out by the assistant getting it wrong. Heck, with my bluetooth speakers installed, the phone seldom leaves my pocket.

Not only that, I tried to go to all of my online stores, where I do a lot of purchasing .. FORGET IT!

Every single page on here, on my stores .. Everywhere has to be enlarged to be read.
Ever tried doing a search on here without enlarging the whole page?☹

Again, agreed. I do the lion's share of my online shopping from a laptop or notebook, saving to the cart... But i do the actual purchase with my phone because purchasing and tracking, and messages having to do with the purchase are in real time on the phone, and with me wherever I am.

Same with posting!

Keys on keyboard a little larger than grains of salt!

That requires a deft touch - you will get better. I had much the same problems, but years in now, not the case anymore. Part of it comes with a better phone, one with a larger screen for easier reading, and modern amenities such as the Assistant. It was a kludge on a crappy old phone which is what I began on.

Which reminds me .. all of those videos where folks are typing Super fast with just their thumbs? ... let's just say, I believe those as much as I believe that Fauci always tells the truth!

I have one of those skinny pencil type styluses(?) and miss the correct keys almost regularly.
(What do you expect with grain of salt size keys?)🤢

Speaking is way, way better. Even though I am a redneck and Assistants don't understand me very well, still better than typing.

Then there is the problem where you can hardly scroll or move around the screen without 'touching' some spot that sends you some place you didn't want to go, blows the text size up so large that one letter will fill the screen, or worse, sends you back home unexpectedly and erases that post that you took hours to get just right .. Before you get the chance to post it!
(Yep, happened to me here a number of times before I gave up and came back to my trusty desktop!)

Bigger phone.

Offline mrclose

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2021, 01:16:14 am »
@roamer_1

Thank you roamer.
That was a great post!
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2021, 08:49:26 pm »
@Smokin Joe

I honestly don't know,but I do know it makes more sense to just spend 12-15 bucks on a wallet you can put in your pocket to carry with you that thieves with card readers can't get your CC numbers.

Takes BIG pockets to carry a 50 cal ammo can.
Yeah, that's why I recommended a .30 cal.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2021, 11:59:14 pm »
Yeah, that's why I recommended a .30 cal.

@Smokin Joe

The BEST solution is to just carry a belt-fed with you everywhere you go. It will absolutely end your worry about thieves coming after you.

Or to paraphrase what America GI's have been saying for decades,"When Ma Duece speaks,EVERYBODY listens."

Of course,you would have to install a pintle mount on the top of your car and carry a lesser weapon like a CAR-15 on you,but it seems like there are always sacrifices that need to be made.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2021, 12:08:14 am »
@Smokin Joe

The BEST solution is to just carry a belt-fed with you everywhere you go. It will absolutely end your worry about thieves coming after you.

Or to paraphrase what America GI's have been saying for decades,"When Ma Duece speaks,EVERYBODY listens."

Of course,you would have to install a pintle mount on the top of your car and carry a lesser weapon like a CAR-15 on you,but it seems like there are always sacrifices that need to be made.
Maybe I can make Ahmed an offer for one of those nice up-armored humvees with the turret setup. Only thing that would suck is the F.O.B. from the 'stan to NoDak.

Seriously, though, i use the .50 cal ammo boxes for tire chains (one chain and tighteners each), and have used the.30 caliber ammo boxes for just about everything, even (egad!) ammo on occasion. I probably have 40 or 50 of the things around...and a few larger surplus containers, too. 

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2021, 12:22:41 am »
Maybe I can make Ahmed an offer for one of those nice up-armored humvees with the turret setup. Only thing that would suck is the F.O.B. from the 'stan to NoDak.

Seriously, though, i use the .50 cal ammo boxes for tire chains (one chain and tighteners each), and have used the.30 caliber ammo boxes for just about everything, even (egad!) ammo on occasion. I probably have 40 or 50 of the things around...and a few larger surplus containers, too.

@Smokin Joe

I must have a dozen or more 30 and 50 cal ammo can's laying around. Some of them even have ammo in them!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2021, 12:25:43 am »

@Smokin Joe

I have politely been asking Santa for a version of the FN-FAL in .308 that has the collapsable butt stock and the short barrel,but the SOB has yet to deliver.

BUT.......,there is still hope for THIS year!

One thing I do know is there is no way in HELL I would ever be able to justify spending that much of my own money on a rifle,though. Sadly,it's Santa or nothing.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2021, 02:41:05 am »
@Smokin Joe

I have politely been asking Santa for a version of the FN-FAL in .308 that has the collapsable butt stock and the short barrel,but the SOB has yet to deliver.

BUT.......,there is still hope for THIS year!

One thing I do know is there is no way in HELL I would ever be able to justify spending that much of my own money on a rifle,though. Sadly,it's Santa or nothing.
I think those effin elves are hoarding them...

I'll just have to throw some better optics on my M1A...

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2021, 03:27:43 am »
I think those effin elves are hoarding them...

I'll just have to throw some better optics on my M1A...

@Smokin Joe

I'm sticking with the peep sights on my Garand. It's all original,and I ain't modifying a single damn thing.

I do admit to having a Model 70 in 30/06,though.

I wish I had never sold me 300 H&H magnum with the 26 inch barrel. That was a real "reach out and touch someone" rifle. Probably the most accurate rifle I have ever owned,and a rifle is either accurate or I sell it after shooting it the first time. I have NO room in my house for an inaccurate firearm.

I really needed the money to move home to take care of my father after my mother died,so I sold it. Had a list of people who had fired it who had begged me to let them know if it ever went up for sale,and I sold it after the first phone call.

EVERYBODY loves accurate rifles.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 03:30:19 am by sneakypete »

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2021, 05:46:36 am »
@Smokin Joe

I'm sticking with the peep sights on my Garand. It's all original,and I ain't modifying a single damn thing.

I do admit to having a Model 70 in 30/06,though.

I wish I had never sold me 300 H&H magnum with the 26 inch barrel. That was a real "reach out and touch someone" rifle. Probably the most accurate rifle I have ever owned,and a rifle is either accurate or I sell it after shooting it the first time. I have NO room in my house for an inaccurate firearm.

I really needed the money to move home to take care of my father after my mother died,so I sold it. Had a list of people who had fired it who had begged me to let them know if it ever went up for sale,and I sold it after the first phone call.

EVERYBODY loves accurate rifles.
If my eyes were better, I'd keep the peep, but any more I like to aim small, miss small, and that means optics. If it was a Garand and original, I'd keep it that way. (I have a Model 70 in-06 as well, but it isn't pre-64. It has put meat in the freezer from farther away than I wanted to walk to the deer [so I drove over there].) The 70 has iron sights and a 3-9 on a tip off mount.

There's just no substitute for tight groups and tack drivers.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 05:49:41 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2021, 01:13:24 pm »

There's just no substitute for tight groups and tack drivers.

@Smokin Joe

No arguement there.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2021, 01:20:59 pm »
This thread certainly drifted!

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2021, 01:21:53 pm »

Not if you are hunting cell phones...

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2021, 01:27:18 pm »

:silly:

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2021, 04:13:20 pm »
More than once I have been tempted to leave mine out at the 100 yard target...

C S Lewis

Offline mrclose

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2021, 12:59:43 am »
@mrclose I just got a brand new Moto G Power directly from Cricket Wireless for under $100 and I love it!

Only need to charge it about once a week and it just upgraded to Android 11 (the latest Android operating system.)  It will do it all.

Edit to add: This new phone has a feature that was greatly advantageous to me since I live in a house with a metal roof on it. If you have little to no signal through your carrier the phone automatically redirects calls to use your wireless internet.  My old LG (probably 10 years or more) did not have that and I could not make calls from inside my house on it.

@Bigun

I just bought the Moto G7 optimo Maxx which .. if  I'm not mistaken is the same as the moto power model?
(Like yours) 

Getting use to it but so far .. I Made A great Choice! :yowsa:

Battery has lasted a full two days of web browsing and is still at 50 percent without recharging!

I had to charge the other one every two to three hours!
(Had a crappy battery)

~ Self

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2021, 01:48:22 am »
@Bigun

I just bought the Moto G7 optimo Maxx which .. if  I'm not mistaken is the same as the moto power model?
(Like yours) 

Getting use to it but so far .. I Made A great Choice! :yowsa:

Battery has lasted a full two days of web browsing and is still at 50 percent without recharging!

I had to charge the other one every two to three hours!
(Had a crappy battery)

@Bigun    @mrclose

Just be aware that these new phones have permanent batteries that can't be removed,and that your phone can be tracked by sattelite even if it is turned off.

Of course,the simplest solution to this potential "problem" is to buy a Faraday Bag (damn chemo brain,but I THINK that is what they are called.),and place your phone inside it if you don't want to be tracked.

You can even buy them on Amazon for maybe 20 bucks. They are worth that much to me to make sure I don't get phone calls while driving. They flat drive me nuts!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 01:50:04 am by sneakypete »

Offline mrclose

« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2021, 06:00:59 am »
@Bigun    @mrclose

Just be aware that these new phones have permanent batteries that can't be removed,and that your phone can be tracked by sattelite even if it is turned off.

Of course,the simplest solution to this potential "problem" is to buy a Faraday Bag (damn chemo brain,but I THINK that is what they are called.),and place your phone inside it if you don't want to be tracked.

You can even buy them on Amazon for maybe 20 bucks. They are worth that much to me to make sure I don't get phone calls while driving. They flat drive me nuts!

@sneakypete

A video on YouTube shows you how to put a new battery in.

Not worth the effort if you ask me.
QVC and HSN both have Great deals all the time on TracFone.

Today they had a top of the line (mid-range) Motorola that comes with 1500 min. Talk/text/data for .. $49!!

Yesterday it was a beautiful Samsung.

The text and data is for a year.

Heck, since we never go anywhere, I don't need any of the minutes or data because I do everything with the phone, using my Verizon FiOS wifi!
Sure, when we do go somewhere I'll use the tracfone minutes.

Btw: TracFone is owned by Verizon.

Also, Motorola is owned by Lenovo.

My PC is Lenovo .. one of the best I have ever owned!

Oh and .. who the heck would want to track me?

« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 06:06:05 am by mrclose »
~ Self

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2021, 10:26:45 am »

What is the bag limit on those rascaly buggers?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2021, 11:01:31 am »
What is the bag limit on those rascaly buggers?
It depends, you have your bow, smooth bore, muzzle loader and center fire licenses/seasons.  Then you have licenses for Apple (doe), Android (Buck) and flip phone (spikes).
According to bidens expert observations, The Apple are easier to find but the license is cost 10 times as much as the Android and the license for Spikes are almost free.
All you have to do is go out on your front porch and fire into the air and they will drop like flies.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2021, 11:43:06 am »
It depends, you have your bow, smooth bore, muzzle loader and center fire licenses/seasons.  Then you have licenses for Apple (doe), Android (Buck) and flip phone (spikes).
According to bidens expert observations, The Apple are easier to find but the license is cost 10 times as much as the Android and the license for Spikes are almost free.
All you have to do is go out on your front porch and fire into the air and they will drop like flies.

I'm glad there are no Youth Only Seasons. Kids should not be hunting cell phones.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2021, 05:09:15 pm »
@sneakypete

A video on YouTube shows you how to put a new battery in.

Not worth the effort if you ask me.

True dat. Find a phone with enough batt to get you through an average day with 50% left over... Or begin looking for portable power solutions like a charger for your car, a power brick, etc...

A batt will last pretty well for the three years of the phone's usable life, and by the time you start hitting battery problems, you are probably looking for a new phone. Even into four and five years, the batt will probably still be doing alright.

My PC is Lenovo .. one of the best I have ever owned!

I have turned into a pretty solid HP commercial grade guy... With my one exception - My Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga which is probably my favorite... It lost a hard drive over last weekend, and now I am waiting for friday when the new one (hdd) gets here. And I really miss it. It has replaced laptop and tablet in many many instances...