Author Topic: How much has the Sun influenced Northern Hemisphere temperature trends? An ongoing debate  (Read 146 times)

rangerrebew

How much has the Sun influenced Northern Hemisphere temperature trends? An ongoing debate

Ronan Connolly1,2, Willie Soon1, Michael Connolly2, Sallie Baliunas3, Johan Berglund4, C. John Butler5, Rodolfo Gustavo Cionco6,7, Ana G. Elias8,9, Valery M. Fedorov10, Hermann Harde11Show full author list

© 2021 National Astronomical Observatories, CAS and IOP Publishing Ltd.
Research in Astronomy and Astrophysics, Volume 21, Number 6 Citation Ronan Connolly et al 2021 Res. Astron. 
References

20628 Total downloads
Article has an altmetric score of 203
Turn on MathJax

Get permission to re-use this article

Article information
Abstract

In order to evaluate how much Total Solar Irradiance (TSI) has influenced Northern Hemisphere surface air temperature trends, it is important to have reliable estimates of both quantities. Sixteen different estimates of the changes in TSI since at least the 19th century were compiled from the literature. Half of these estimates are "low variability" and half are "high variability". Meanwhile, five largely-independent methods for estimating Northern Hemisphere temperature trends were evaluated using: 1) only rural weather stations; 2) all available stations whether urban or rural (the standard approach); 3) only sea surface temperatures; 4) tree-ring widths as temperature proxies; 5) glacier length records as temperature proxies. The standard estimates which use urban as well as rural stations were somewhat anomalous as they implied a much greater warming in recent decades than the other estimates, suggesting that urbanization bias might still be a problem in current global temperature datasets – despite the conclusions of some earlier studies. Nonetheless, all five estimates confirm that it is currently warmer than the late 19th century, i.e., there has been some "global warming" since the 19th century. For each of the five estimates of Northern Hemisphere temperatures, the contribution from direct solar forcing for all sixteen estimates of TSI was evaluated using simple linear least-squares fitting. The role of human activity on recent warming was then calculated by fitting the residuals to the UN IPCC's recommended "anthropogenic forcings" time series. For all five Northern Hemisphere temperature series, different TSI estimates suggest everything from no role for the Sun in recent decades (implying that recent global warming is mostly human-caused) to most of the recent global warming being due to changes in solar activity (that is, that recent global warming is mostly natural). It appears that previous studies (including the most recent IPCC reports) which had prematurely concluded the former, had done so because they failed to adequately consider all the relevant estimates of TSI and/or to satisfactorily address the uncertainties still associated with Northern Hemisphere temperature trend estimates. Therefore, several recommendations on how the scientific community can more satisfactorily resolve these issues are provided.

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1674-4527/21/6/131
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 02:38:03 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Isn't the bigger question that needs to be answered is "what is influencing the sun?"
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"How much has the Sun influenced Northern Hemisphere temperature trends?"

I reckon by about 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999%

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"How much has the Sun influenced Northern Hemisphere temperature trends?"

I reckon by about 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999%

I reckon you're right!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Hoodat

What does the sun have to do with global warming?  It's all those SUVs, silly.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-