Author Topic: Empty Christmas Stockings? Don't Blame COVID, Blame California  (Read 536 times)

Offline bilo

Empty Christmas Stockings? Don't Blame COVID, Blame California
« on: October 15, 2021, 06:23:18 pm »
As a couple of astute articles explain, the problem is that California has passed two laws—one for “climate change” and the other as a sop to the unions—that destroyed much of California’s trucking industry.

Add in woes unique to the industry and COVID payments that discourage people from working and...voila!...empty Christmas stockings.

Stephen Green, at PJ Media, explains some of what’s going on.

As a preliminary matter, truckers are aging out of the job and new ones aren’t coming along. Because federal law requires that truckers be at least 21, kids who leave school at 17 or 18 get involved in other careers, leaving trucker shortfalls. Women don’t offset this problem because, as is typical for most physically difficult jobs, it’s not their thing. Those are long-term problems.

The short-term problem, though, is that California has passed laws taking trucks off the road:

Twitter user Jerry Oakley reminds us that “Carriers domiciled in California with trucks older than 2011 model, or using engines manufactured before 2010, will need to meet the Board’s new Truck and Bus Regulation beginning in 2020.” Otherwise, “Their vehicles will be blocked from registration with the state’s DMV,” according to California law.

“The requirement is to purchase electric trucks which do not exist.”

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/empty-christmas-stockings-dont-blame-covid-blame-california
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline bilo

Re: Empty Christmas Stockings? Don't Blame COVID, Blame California
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 06:32:51 pm »
Typical leftist ignorance about basic economics.

1. Place age restrictions on potential new truckers, so they find other professions.
2. Allow unions to restrict individual business owners (owner operators) from having access to doing business at the ports.
3. Pass stupid "green" energy laws restricting what type of trucks may do business in CA., so distributers have use these limited number of trucks to the border and
    then transfer the loads to other trucks.
4. Restrict the number of workers at the ports with dumb China Virus rules.
5. Create a business environment where manufacturing moves offshore so we no longer make the products we want in the USA.

What a mess.

Will the American people ever wake up?

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 06:42:12 pm »

Californians made their choice.  Maybe they need to unload the container ships elsewhere, like Texas or Florida?

I presume Oregon and Washington are too woke to be any use.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 06:49:54 pm »
Since Greasy Gavin wants to be president one day this may be a good opportunity to define him for the 47 states he’ll be stealing Christmas from.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2021, 06:59:27 pm »
Biden could easily put a stop to this by using his Executive powers that he loves to oppress conservatives with, but he won't do that because it works against the Democrat political agenda.
The Republic is lost.

Offline bilo

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2021, 07:03:32 pm »
Californians made their choice.  Maybe they need to unload the container ships elsewhere, like Texas or Florida?

I presume Oregon and Washington are too woke to be any use.

Ultimately they will have to do that, it's a good thing Panama invested in expanding the canal so the larger ships can pass through. It will probably add a month to travel time which will have to be recovered in higher shipping fees.

Offline bilo

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2021, 07:05:17 pm »
Biden could easily put a stop to this by using his Executive powers that he loves to oppress conservatives with, but he won't do that because it works against the Democrat political agenda.

Which is what caused this mess!

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2021, 07:06:33 pm »
Seems to me this violates the Dormant Commerce Clause.  California is interfering with interstate commerce.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2021, 07:27:55 pm »
Seems to me this violates the Dormant Commerce Clause.  California is interfering with interstate commerce.

It is purposeful, and the culmination of decades of effort to make the US dependent upon foreign goods. They can get us by the short hairs now, where they never could so long as American industry existed as it did in its distributed fashion.

It will take a while to fix - But the obvious fix is to go back to every city being as independent as it can get, and every household the same.

If the plandemic loses its legs they still have us on a short leash by controlling imports at the ports. That should not be possible.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2021, 07:59:05 pm »
Hurts the out of state owner operators, who can't come into the state and haul off the freight.
Some enterprising CA truckers ought to take these containers just across the state line, and let the out of state driver carry them the rest of the way, to their destinations.

Offline Killer Clouds

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2021, 08:41:52 pm »
Kalifornia had its chance to start to fix this problem and too many DCP disciples decided to cut off their nose to spite their face. People are fleeing Kalifornia as fast as they can and the DCP machine doesn't see the problem because as income earning taxpayers leave more and more welfare recipients and homeless move in to take their place.

Offline bilo

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2021, 08:55:48 pm »
Hurts the out of state owner operators, who can't come into the state and haul off the freight.
Some enterprising CA truckers ought to take these containers just across the state line, and let the out of state driver carry them the rest of the way, to their destinations.

That is being done now because of the limited number of trucks that can haul freight in CA. due to their "green" policy.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2021, 09:10:07 pm »
That is being done now because of the limited number of trucks that can haul freight in CA. due to their "green" policy.

Inevitably it means dying California ports as business adjusts to ship to where their goods can move smoothly into the system - Expect Southern ports and Gulf coast ports to require massive expansion. Inevitable, but it will take a while to get there.

Since the Left coast is getting nearly shut off, AK and BC ought to be paying attention. There is massive opportunity presenting to AK and (BC/Alberta) Canada to distribute across the northern border... ID, MT, and NoDak will happily let it through.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2021, 11:46:15 pm »
It's may not be a "shortage of drivers".
It's may not be a "shortage of trucks".

So... why can't the containers get moved out of the port of Los Angeles?

I believe California in recent years passed a law or regulation that only semi tractors that conform to its emissions standards can operate within the state.

I think that in order to conform, a tractor must be no more than two or three years old, or else "retro-fitted" with the proper equipment.

But... something like half the trucks that would otherwise be hauling these container loads ARE NOT compliant with the law/regs.

So... the result is these rigs and drivers CAN'T get to the port to make deliveries. Their vehicles aren't permitted to enter the state. If they do, there'a a heavy penalty fine if caught.

I understand that there are "relays" -- a "California compliant" tractor picks up the load at the port, delivers as far as the state line, and a "non-compliant" tractor and driver takes over. But this is an obstacle in the way of getting things moved.

Want to get those containers moving?
Then let ALL trucks operate into California.
Until this happens... the situation probably won't improve.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2021, 11:54:58 pm »
Maybe a good thing. Kids could do without all the crap.  A parent could find old school toys to give.  You know hand crafted toys that let kids use their imagination.  Lots of crafters sell toys and games at local markets all over the US.

But nah...wouldn't work. Parents these days would never buy into such a thought.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2021, 12:18:13 am »
Maybe a good thing. Kids could do without all the crap.  A parent could find old school toys to give.  You know hand crafted toys that let kids use their imagination.  Lots of crafters sell toys and games at local markets all over the US.

But nah...wouldn't work. Parents these days would never buy into such a thought.

I definitely agree with you .... homemade play dough is easy to make and last for quite awhile -- use cookie cutters for shapes. Homemade bubbles are another great toy; glycerin and Dawn dish soap -- make a giant wand out of wire coat hangers. Books.  Books on how to make different paper air planes. Homemade snow saucers made out of storage container tops and rope. Cardboard dolls and paper clothes. Rubber band guns made out of wood and old inner tube tires. Rocks and cheap paints; spread words of kindness in the parks. ... lots of stuff and fun to be had

Candy canes, chocolates, hot cocoa mix. Popcorn balls....

Nope, they won't get the latest, coolest toy, but they'll have fun and maybe appreciate what they did get, which is what it's all about!

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2021, 06:50:27 am »

I definitely agree with you .... homemade play dough is easy to make and last for quite awhile -- use cookie cutters for shapes. Homemade bubbles are another great toy; glycerin and Dawn dish soap -- make a giant wand out of wire coat hangers. Books.  Books on how to make different paper air planes. Homemade snow saucers made out of storage container tops and rope. Cardboard dolls and paper clothes. Rubber band guns made out of wood and old inner tube tires. Rocks and cheap paints; spread words of kindness in the parks. ... lots of stuff and fun to be had

Candy canes, chocolates, hot cocoa mix. Popcorn balls....

Nope, they won't get the latest, coolest toy, but they'll have fun and maybe appreciate what they did get, which is what it's all about!
While I agree in spirit, and know that of which you speak, I don't think a Laura Ingalls Wilder style Christmas is going to be a hit with today's pampered short attention span video addicted set.

It might build a little character, or might trigger them into mewling PTSD...

Besides, how many of them have even seen a cookie cutter?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2021, 10:52:03 am »
While I agree in spirit, and know that of which you speak, I don't think a Laura Ingalls Wilder style Christmas is going to be a hit with today's pampered short attention span video addicted set.

It might build a little character, or might trigger them into mewling PTSD...

Besides, how many of them have even seen a cookie cutter?

I can already see Kids calling DCFS all over the country claiming child abuse and parental neglect ...on their $1200 IPhones of course.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2021, 10:58:53 pm »
This is an omen for the future.

The red/traditional freedom states should not be relying up California in ANY way for their economies.

They need to develop -- to the fullest extent possible -- supply chains that are "independent of" California and the other blue states.

A "split" of some kind may be coming in the future -- whether it be a peaceable separation or outright civil war, it will force the red "homeland" states towards economic independence from "the coasts".

In a [formerly] United States that's in the process of breaking apart, who is Nebraska gonna trust? California, or... Texas?

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2021, 11:01:10 pm »
So this is how the left is going to lord dominion, huh? Hijack all the coastal states and block imports until they get what they want...
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline libertybele

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2021, 11:25:32 pm »
This is an omen for the future.

The red/traditional freedom states should not be relying up California in ANY way for their economies.

They need to develop -- to the fullest extent possible -- supply chains that are "independent of" California and the other blue states.

A "split" of some kind may be coming in the future -- whether it be a peaceable separation or outright civil war, it will force the red "homeland" states towards economic independence from "the coasts".

In a [formerly] United States that's in the process of breaking apart, who is Nebraska gonna trust? California, or... Texas?

I agree with your theory, but many people have fled blues states and into red states because of high taxes and more strict COVID rules, so, I'm not so sure that there even is such a division anymore  -- liberals are going to vote liberal regardless of what state they live in.

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Killer Clouds

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2021, 11:35:16 pm »
I agree with your theory, but many people have fled blues states and into red states because of high taxes and more strict COVID rules, so, I'm not so sure that there even is such a division anymore  -- liberals are going to vote liberal regardless of what state they live in.
Yep liberals are a cancer on this country.

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2021, 12:39:05 am »
Florida has made it clear,they can promptly serve ocean freighters to load and unload, even faster of Pacific freight than California is doing. As California screwed up business before, ran companies out of California, they thought they were so smart, then went to Texas and other States begging the businesses to return to Calif.   I expect this time when California forces Ocean liners to go elsewhere, the scheme is the Feds have to make good on their losses and let them raid the Federal Treasury.  Perhaps the current spending bill?
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2021, 03:32:38 am »
So this is how the left is going to lord dominion, huh? Hijack all the coastal states and block imports until they get what they want...
We'll see who can hold out longer if it comes to that. Just close the valves and turn out the lights.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2021, 03:38:58 am »
 Bottom line is if Cali keeps playing this game, China will send their ships through the Panama canal to Fla Or TX.

It may be a hit longer route, but they'll make up for it not having to sit days or weeks to get unloaded.
The Republic is lost.