Author Topic: Canister and Grape: You Wouldn’t Want to Get Hit with Either  (Read 605 times)

rangerrebew

Canister and Grape: You Wouldn’t Want to Get Hit with Either
« on: October 14, 2021, 07:28:52 pm »
Canister and Grape: You Wouldn’t Want to Get Hit with Either

The large shot on the left is from a 24-pounder grapeshot charge. At right, an iron 12-pounder canister ball seems small in comparison, but needless to say it was still deadly. At far right, a ping pong ball helps put the size of the ferrous killers in perspective.

Dana B. Shoaf Collection/Photo by Melissa A. Winn

Civil War Times Staff
August 2021

In a famous incident at the Battle of Antietam, Brig. Gen. John Gibbon jumped off his horse and raced over to Battery B, 4th U.S. Artillery, whose men were firing canister as fast as they could at Confederates across the Hagerstown Pike.

Gibbon noticed the battery’s 12-pounder Napoleons were firing high, and he directed the gunners to lower their muzzles so the canister would skip off the ground and up into the gray ranks. The adjustment was made, and the next blasts caused a grotesque plume of fence rails and Confederate soldiers to rise into the air.

Canister and its forerunner grapeshot were the most fearsome artillery projectiles of the conflict. Each fired iron balls into the air like giant shotgun blasts that shredded oncoming infantry formations and swept the decks of ships. Though the terms are often used interchangeably, as they were even during the war by soldiers, they were made quite differently. And by the Civil War, grapeshot was seldom used by field artillery batteries in either army, but some large garrison and ship-mounted cannons still made use of that round.

https://www.historynet.com/canister-and-grape-you-wouldnt-want-to-get-hit-with-either.htm

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Canister and Grape: You Wouldn’t Want to Get Hit with Either
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 07:47:28 pm »
"Give the wogs a whiff of the Canister" does not have the same pizazz as "Grape."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Canister and Grape: You Wouldn’t Want to Get Hit with Either
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 08:17:00 pm »
I found a couple of iron balls near Fort Buford (Dakota Territory) which are the right size for canister shot.

Nope. I wouldn't want to get hit by one. **nononono*
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis