Author Topic: US reveals nuclear bomb numbers after Trump blackout  (Read 185 times)

rangerrebew

US reveals nuclear bomb numbers after Trump blackout
« on: October 14, 2021, 10:10:18 am »
US reveals nuclear bomb numbers after Trump blackout
by Agence France-Presse
October 6, 2021

The US State Department published on Tuesday the number of nuclear warheads the country stockpiles for the first time in four years, after former president Donald Trump placed a blackout on the data.

As of September 30, 2020, the US military maintained 3,750 active and inactive nuclear warheads, down by 55 from a year earlier and by 72 from the same date in 2017.

The figure was also the lowest level since the US nuclear stockpile peaked at the height of the Cold War with Russia in 1967, when the total was 31,255 warheads.

The numbers were released Tuesday amid an effort by the administration of President Joe Biden to restart arms controls talks with Russia after they stalled under Trump.

https://www.defencetalk.com/us-reveals-nuclear-bomb-numbers-after-trump-blackout-77418/

rangerrebew

Re: US reveals nuclear bomb numbers after Trump blackout
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 10:11:26 am »
Russia, China, Iran, and N. Korea thank Biden for that intelligence. :seeya:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 10:16:00 am »
Russia, China, Iran, and N. Korea thank Biden for that intelligence. :seeya:
Exactly. **nononono*
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 11:13:59 am »
What is an "inactive warhead" and why would you maintain it?

Offline Idiot

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 01:48:45 pm »
I'd venture to guess that there is a fair number of them just down the road from my house.  Oh well...won't feel a thing...lol.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2021, 04:10:55 pm »
I'd venture to guess that there is a fair number of them just down the road from my house.  Oh well...won't feel a thing...lol.
I have had a ringside seat for WWIII for decades...

Just far enough from the nearest silo...and upwind.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2021, 04:15:30 pm »
What is an "inactive warhead" and why would you maintain it?
I would guess that an inactive warhead is one not assembled and ready to go. That would require a fair amount of custodial maintenance, I would think (I have no inside track, just drawing on a knowledge of chemistry). Plutonium oxidizes readily, not to mention is radioactive, and highly toxic to humans even as a relatively stable isotope. All that needs to be cared for and kept secure, as a matter of course. Components could be made back into bombs if the need arose, and the re-refining process would be much more efficient with high grade feedstocks if those components have degraded through normal radioactive decay. 

C S Lewis

Offline skeeter

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2021, 04:15:52 pm »
I have had a ringside seat for WWIII for decades...

Just far enough from the nearest silo...and upwind.
Same here - the Blue Cube at Moffett Field in Sunnyvale controlled military satellites for 50 years and was a priority Soviet target all of that time.