6 (17.6%)
Janaway/Kate Mulgrew Star Trek Voyager
0 (0%)
Pike/Jeff Hunter Star Trek Pilot
2 (5.9%)
Sisko/Avery Brooks Star Trek DS9
4 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: Best Star Trek Captain  (Read 2926 times)

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Best Star Trek Captain
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2021, 03:12:25 pm »
I have to admit I am shocked so many of you are ST fans.

I don't know a single person in "flesh life" that was a fan. I tried watching it when it first came on,but stopped after maybe 3 episodes because besides the cheesy dialogue and horrible acting,it bored the snot out of me.

Then again,I was expecting something along the line of "The Twilight Zone",and was too young to realize just how special it and Rod Sterling really were.

STILL waiting for someone to match him.

@sneakypete

Bear in mind the competition at the time was Lost in Space. The mid-60's was not fertile ground for SciFi.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2021, 04:29:37 pm »
Borg cat.

@Cyber Liberty
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 04:30:49 pm by Gefn »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2021, 07:55:00 pm »
@sneakypete

Bear in mind the competition at the time was Lost in Space. The mid-60's was not fertile ground for SciFi.

@Cyber Liberty

For me,the mid-60's started my forever quest of chasing wimmins. Harley's are the only thing that came close,and they helped with the wimmins chasing.

Like one girl said to me,"I like Harley's because they vibrate the best".
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2021, 08:23:13 pm »
@sneakypete

Don't forget the other classic's of the period., The Invaders,  Fantastic Voyage, Time Tunnel, Land of the Giants and It's About Time .

I admit I did like It's About Time because it was a comedy and The Invaders.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2021, 09:34:10 pm »
Don't forget the other classic's of the period., The Invaders,  Fantastic Voyage, Time Tunnel, Land of the Giants and It's About Time .

Ahhhh...the Golden Age of Irwin Allen.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2021, 09:41:41 pm »
Borg cat.

@Cyber Liberty

Sweet!

BTW, IIRC, "Species 8472" was much worse than the Borg....
I will NOT comply.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2021, 09:47:42 pm »
Sweet!

BTW, IIRC, "Species 8472" was much worse than the Borg....

Species 8472 had as many as five genders.

Pikers, they should see how many were have!

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2021, 12:54:15 pm »
Another fan of the Borg Kittens sent this to me last night.

Thank you @Hopalong Ginsberg

Ping @Cyber Liberty

@Kamaji

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2021, 12:57:00 pm »
I asked a friend last night “who was more annoying, Wesley Crusher or Nellix”?

He answered Wesley, but I think it’s close.  wink777

Offline MikePence

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2021, 01:25:09 pm »
Captain Archer!
I'm a Christian, a conservative and a Republican, in that order.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2021, 01:46:09 pm »

I can't stand Wesley Crusher, the Boy Genius.  I like Nelix OK...
I will NOT comply.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2021, 01:48:15 pm »
I can't stand Wesley Crusher, the Boy Genius.  I like Nelix OK...

Wesley Crusher was obnoxious.

Online Wingnut

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2021, 01:54:51 pm »
Sheldon (Big Bang Theroy)  was right.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2021, 01:55:39 pm »

When I binge ST-TNG I skip over the Boy Genius episodes.  I understand Wil Wheaton is a world class pr*ck today.
I will NOT comply.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2021, 03:53:45 pm »
For those like me that can't stand Wil Wheaton he was in the 1991 Toy Soldiers and the best part of the movie is when he gets machine gunned. I once worked with a guy that was related to Wheaton, he was all big noise about it until most people started realizing what a pr*ck Wil Wheaton was and just like that he never brought him up again.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2021, 04:10:46 pm »
For those like me that can't stand Wil Wheaton he was in the 1991 Toy Soldiers and the best part of the movie is when he gets machine gunned. I once worked with a guy that was related to Wheaton, he was all big noise about it until most people started realizing what a bleep Wil Wheaton was and just like that he never brought him up again.

Any actor who has to be showcased on who he used to be as a child actor, is really desperate to keep a career in that field.

Every one of his roles and performances has come across as a punk.  Actually I don't think he was acting.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2021, 04:12:54 pm »

You left off Guinan.  Any visual of POS Whoopi Goldberg gets my vote. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2021, 01:27:46 am »

I don't know a single person in "flesh life" that was a fan. I tried watching it when it first came on,but stopped after maybe 3 episodes because besides the cheesy dialogue and horrible acting,it bored the snot out of me.

Then again,I was expecting something along the line of "The Twilight Zone",and was too young to realize just how special it and Rod Sterling really were.

STILL waiting for someone to match him.
Rod Serling was one of the greatest writers in television history. You won't ever see his talent matched.

The only thing that separated Star Trek from Captain Video and His Video Rangers was that Gene Roddenberry tried, hamfistedly, to ape Rod Serling's social consciousness without his talent for writing a compelling story.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2021, 01:50:56 pm »
Rod Serling was one of the greatest writers in television history. You won't ever see his talent matched.

The only thing that separated Star Trek from Captain Video and His Video Rangers was that Gene Roddenberry tried, hamfistedly, to ape Rod Serling's social consciousness without his talent for writing a compelling story.

@jmyrlefuller

I don't think anyone that saw it,will ever be able to forget the episode where a nerd built a bomb shelter and stocked it with books,food,and water,because in HIS dream world,no one existed but him,and he would finally have the time to read all those books without interreption.

Especially the last few minutes,where the alarm went out that we were under nuke attack by the Russians,and that anyone with a bomb shelter should immediately go into it,and after he has shut the hatch and is climbing down the ladder to his "solitude and book haven",his glasses fall off his face and break on the cement floor.

I can close my eyes right now and see the horror on his face.

Hell,I can even FEEL the horror!

BTW,I get those old The Twilight Zone episodes on broadast tv. There is nothing better being aired today.

The only thing that comes close is the old black and white "Alfred Hitchcock Presents". Genius,pure freaking genius.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 01:54:20 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2021, 02:17:03 pm »
@jmyrlefuller

I don't think anyone that saw it,will ever be able to forget the episode where a nerd built a bomb shelter and stocked it with books,food,and water,because in HIS dream world,no one existed but him,and he would finally have the time to read all those books without interreption.

Especially the last few minutes,where the alarm went out that we were under nuke attack by the Russians,and that anyone with a bomb shelter should immediately go into it,and after he has shut the hatch and is climbing down the ladder to his "solitude and book haven",his glasses fall off his face and break on the cement floor.

BTW,I get those old The Twilight Zone episodes on broadast tv. There is nothing better being aired today.

The only thing that comes close is the old black and white "Alfred Hitchcock Presents". Genius,pure freaking genius.

Burgess Meredith was one of my favorite TZ actors....
I will NOT comply.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2021, 04:23:25 am »

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, The Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, My Favorite Martian.......Jonny Quest, The Thunderbirds, Fireball XL5 :silly: :silly: :silly: And one anthology series I am sad to say I never saw 'Out of the Unknown' 1965-1971 A classic anthology science fiction series which features adaptations of stories by famous authors including Isaac Asimov, J.G. Ballard, Frederik Pohl and John Wyndham.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2021, 05:45:41 am »
@jmyrlefuller

Dumbass should have had spare glasses (and parts) in the shelter.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline LilLamb

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2021, 07:21:09 am »

After the second episode of Star Trek my dad bought a color TV. That was an extravagant purchase for my dad. All the kids in the neighborhood wanted to come to our house to watch Star Trek in color.

My brothers and I played Star Trek in the garage using our washer and dryer as the computer consoles on the ship. I always had to be Uhura. Those are really great memories.
"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat."  Ronald Reagan

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2021, 11:23:12 am »
After the second episode of Star Trek my dad bought a color TV. That was an extravagant purchase for my dad. All the kids in the neighborhood wanted to come to our house to watch Star Trek in color.

My brothers and I played Star Trek in the garage using our washer and dryer as the computer consoles on the ship. I always had to be Uhura. Those are really great memories.
Thinking back, it was a transition for many kids from playing 'Army' to 'Star Trek' (some did both).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2021, 12:02:12 pm »
Dumbass should have had spare glasses (and parts) in the shelter.

That one is a classic, with the shrew of a wife and all. Futureama did a funny parody of it.

Just for Halloween, the Simpsons did some good parodies of these Twilight Zone episodes….

1. To serve man- Hungry are the dammed (Twilight Zone first, Simpsons second) kamits replaced by Kang and Kodos

2. It’s a good life-Barts nightmare. (Homer gets turned into a Jack in the Box)

3. Living Doll-Clown without pity (Krusty becomes “Talking Tina”)

4. Nightmare at 20,000 feet- Terror at 5 1/2 feet (Bart has the Shatner role)

5. Little girl lost-Homer Cubed (Homer gets trapped in the walls of his house)

6. The little people-the Genesis Tub (Lisa grows a city of little people in a Petri dish)

7. A kind of stopwatch-Stop the world, I want to goof off. (Bart finds an old stopwatch)

8. The Masks-I’ve grown a costume to your face (actually this episode of TZ is one of my favorites)

9. An episode based on the story about a man who builds a bomb shelter. On Simpsons it’s Flanders who builds the shelter

No ten. Unfortunately the writers started lampooning more “recent” movies and TV. :(
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 12:03:56 pm by Gefn »