Author Topic: Grassley's embrace of Trump shakes GOP landscape  (Read 118 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Grassley's embrace of Trump shakes GOP landscape
« on: October 12, 2021, 02:50:59 pm »
Grassley's embrace of Trump shakes GOP landscape
By Alexander Bolton - 10/12/21 06:00 AM EDT

Sen. Chuck Grassley’s (R-Iowa) enthusiastic appearance at a Trump event in Iowa over the weekend shows that the former president has further strengthened his grip on the GOP following the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol.

The Iowa senator’s eagerness to stand next to former President Trump at a boisterous rally in Des Moines only days after Trump repeatedly trashed Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) — a friend and ally of Grassley's — served as a wakeup call to some Republicans that Trump is back and very much in charge of the party.

Grassley, 88, has worked carefully over his four decades in the Senate to cultivate a reputation as a politician completely in step with Iowans who cherish family values, hard work, ethical behavior and integrity.

A few months ago, Grassley criticized Trump for refusing to accept the results of the 2020 election, accusing him of “poor leadership” and “extreme, aggressive and irresponsible” language.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/576273-grassleys-embrace-of-trump-shakes-gop-landscape
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: Grassley's embrace of Trump shakes GOP landscape
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2021, 03:10:47 pm »

Grassley is being pragmatic.  He's kissing Trump's ring to avoid a contested primary, that he would probably lose.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline Longiron

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 03:17:19 pm »
Grassley is being pragmatic.  He's kissing Trump's ring to avoid a contested primary, that he would probably lose.

Took the words out of my mouth. This UNIPARTY Republican at 88 years old still wants to get reected. All BS and TRUMP has no more grip on the UNIPARTY REPUBLICAN Establishment than he had as POTUS. If he runs again the UNIPARTY REPUBLICAN will do everything to defeat him like they did the last time. :chairbang:

Offline bilo

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 05:33:33 pm »
Took the words out of my mouth. This UNIPARTY Republican at 88 years old still wants to get reected. All BS and TRUMP has no more grip on the UNIPARTY REPUBLICAN Establishment than he had as POTUS. If he runs again the UNIPARTY REPUBLICAN will do everything to defeat him like they did the last time. :chairbang:

I think it is a tactical decision on Trump's part. Why give the Rats a potential opening.

FWIW, I think it's reprehensible for an 88 year old politician to seek to keep himself in office. He will probably die in office, or become so infirm he is incapable of representing those who elected him. Grassley is just another example of how the swamp corrupts people into loving the benefits of position more than doing what they were elected to do.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home