Author Topic: Denzel Washington is the US Army’s newest (honorary) sergeant major  (Read 107 times)

rangerrebew

Denzel Washington is the US Army’s newest (honorary) sergeant major

"He just wants to do better for the Army.”

By Haley Britzky | Published Oct 11, 2021 1:00 PM

News Army

Actor, director and Hollywood icon Denzel Washington is the “Honorary Sergeant Major of the Army” for 2021.

“We all are free because of the sacrifices that you’ve made,” Washington said of U.S. military service members at a small ceremony on Sept. 24 in New York City. “We all have the right to agree or disagree or complain or whine or whatever else Americans do these days because of the sacrifices that each and every one of you men and women made. This really belongs to you.”

The Army formally announced Washington as the 2021 Honorary Sergeant Major of the Army recipient at the Annual Association of the U.S. Army conference on Monday. Washington was chosen because of his work with the Fisher House Foundation, a program focused on building homes at military medical centers around the world for military and veteran families to stay in while their loved one is receiving medical care.

Sgt. Maj. of the Army Michael Grinston, who presented the award to Washington, said that Washington represented everything he was looking for in this year’s honoree: humility, dedication to soldiers, and respect for the Army.

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/army-denzel-washington-honorary-sergeant-major/

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Denzel Washington is the US Army’s newest (honorary) sergeant major
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2021, 02:23:39 pm »
For those of you who don't know,a normal US Army Sergeant Major is such a powerful and respected soldier that even Colonels step lightlhy around him and work hard to not piss him off.

When it comes to the SGM of the army,even General officers tread lightly around him,and most of those asses have ego's the size of the universe.

Yeah,there are a few "political SGM's" just like there are a few ass-kissing losers everywhere else in the world,but to this date I am not aware of a single SGM of the Army that didn't have the mental tools and the desire to do whatever was best for the army and for America.

It ain't about "Me" with them,it's about duty,honor,and country. This may sound funny to some of you,but they take their oaths are serious as a heart attack. Trust me on this one. I have never typed truer words.

I have never been in any other branch of the service,but I would bet everything I own the same is true for the E-9's in the USMC (especially),the USN,and the USAF.

They really and truly are special people. Without people like them,the military would be useless.

When one of them suggests you do something,it pays you to do it because it ain't a suggestion and they are too busy to babysit your useless ass.

Spending the majority of my time in Special Forces,I was VERY aware of the power and respect these people held. Unlike the regular army where there is maybe 1 SMG per battalion (not sure. Don't know much about the regular army and never wanted to know much other than how to avoid serving in the regular army),SF had SGM's for company 1st Sgt's.

You ain't seen nothing until you have seen one on a rampage. It is truly something awesome to behold.

I turned down a chance of getting a commission twice because my goal was to one day become a SGM in the US Army Special Forces. I can't think of a single more honorable and desirable honor to hold. Unfortunately,I was unable to remain in the army due to Agent Orange infestation,and was discharged after slightly more than 6 years.

I did have the honor several years later of working with SF again as a civilian advisor to SF training group. I played the role of Guerilla Leader in a insurgency dedicated to overthrowing an oppressive government,and it was the mission of the students to form a guerilla army and overthrow the oppressive invaders that had taken control of that fictional nation. AND....,these poor,unfortunate students had to deal with me,and my job was to make it as hard on them as possible.

It was an insane amount of fun! I always felt like I should have been paying them for that job.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 02:43:17 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!