Author Topic: Geomagnetic storm warning as solar flare expected to directly hit Earth today  (Read 783 times)

Online mountaineer

Not sure whether this goes in the science or weather category, but:
Geomagnetic storm warning as solar flare expected to directly hit Earth today
 Alexander Martin
Monday 11 October 2021 10:01, UK

A massive solar flare is due to hit Earth today, authorities are warning - potentially disrupting power grids and bringing the Northern Lights as far south as New York.

The flare - officially known as a coronal mass ejection (CME) - was observed on Saturday on the side of the sun directly facing our planet and comes as we enter a period of increased solar activity.

An alert was published by the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) which warned the geomagnetic storm could cause power grid fluctuations with voltage alarms at higher latitudes, where the Earth is more exposed. ...
Sky News

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Kamaji

Interesting.  Will go out tonight and see if I see any northern lights.

Online mountaineer

Solar flare warning: Geomagnetic storm expected to hit Earth today bringing threat of power outages
Maria Collinge
3 hrs ago

A massive solar flare is heading towards earth Earth today, which could cause power outages, satellite disruptions and an aurora in northern latitudes.

The flare comes as we enter a period of increased solar activity, and was identified on Saturday.

The US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (Noaa) is advising that in higher latitude areas where the earth is more exposed, the flare could cause power grid fluctuations. It could also cause the Northern Lights to be visible across Scotland, and even parts of northern England. ...

Solar flares emit radio waves, which can disturb the Earth’s atmosphere if they travel in the direction of our planet. This can cause auroras and disrupt power grids and radio signals.

Space weather is primarily caused by the sun when its surface is more active than normal. It can send energised particles out in all directions, which can be observed through the Northern Lights and the Southern Lights.

Although the 1859 solar storm Carrington Event is the largest solar storm ever recorded, Monday’s flare is not expected to cause widespread disruption.
MSN (please excuse how poorly written this article is!)

Online mountaineer

G2 (Moderate) Geomagnetic Storm Watch Issued for 11 October 2021

G2 (Moderate) Geomagnetic Storm Watch Issued for 11 October 2021
published: Sunday, October 10, 2021 00:39 UTC

G2 (Moderate) geomagnetic storm conditions are possible on 11 Oct due to the anticipated arrival of a CME from 09 Oct. G1 (Minor) geomagnetic storm conditions are possible on 11-12 Oct.

Region 2882 (N17, L=157) produced an M1/2b flare (with Type-II and IV radio emissions) at 09/0638 UTC, and an associated full-halo CME was observed in LASCO C2 imagery beginning at 09/0712 UTC. Event analysis and model output suggest CME arrival around midday on 11 Oct, with lingering effects persisting into 12 Oct. 
NOAA

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Cool.  :2popcorn:

It almost makes me want to take my antenna and portable TV up to the hills and see if I get any strange faraway signals.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online mountaineer

It almost makes me want to take my antenna and portable TV up to the hills and see if I get any strange faraway signals.
You may end up getting mariachi music from Mexico.  :shrug:

Online libertybele

You may end up getting mariachi music from Mexico.  :shrug:

We're doomed.  :shrug:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 10:46:45 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024