Author Topic: VA Dems Want Last Minute Voting Rule Change  (Read 369 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

VA Dems Want Last Minute Voting Rule Change
« on: October 11, 2021, 12:50:18 pm »
VA Dems Want Last Minute Voting Rule Change
Voting in the governor’s race began weeks ago but now they want to move the goalpost.
American Spectator, Oct 10, 2021, David Catron

Virginia’s gubernatorial contest between Republican Glenn Youngkin and Democrat Terry McAuliffe clearly has supporters of the latter worried. Recent polls show a far tighter race than they expected. Consequently, it was all but inevitable that McAuliffe’s allies would attempt to meddle with election laws using public health as a pretext. Sure enough, the Democrat-dominated Fairfax Board of Supervisors has asked Gov. Ralph Northam to waive the witness signature requirement that Virginia law stipulates for all absentee ballots. Board Chairman Jeffrey McKay insists that the waiver is necessary due to the threat of COVID-19, yet cases are declining.

The New York Times reported Sunday that Virginia’s cases and hospitalizations have declined 17 and 14 percent respectively during the past two weeks.  Moreover, Virginia’s state of emergency expired June 30 as did the numerous executive orders Gov. Northam issued pursuant to the pandemic. The sole Republican member of the Fairfax board, Pat Herrity, voted against asking Northam to issue such an extraordinary waiver, pointing out that voting has already been underway for three weeks: “To do this in the middle of an election process in the name of COVID is nonsensical.” He also emphasized election integrity: “Witness signatures are important as they provide another line of defense against voter fraud.”

Until last year, all absentee ballots cast in a Virginia election had to be signed by a witness confirming that the voter was indeed eligible to vote and legally registered. This long standing statute was temporarily suspended during the 2020 general election pursuant to concerns about the spread of COVID-19. The moratorium ended after the Commonwealth’s state of emergency was lifted, but Fairfax County has refused to give up its emergency powers despite a 21 percent decline in cases. Nonetheless, a recent statement by Virginia’s Department of Elections reiterates that “witness signatures are required on all absentee ballots.” The Fairfax County Democrats are not happy, as McKay makes abundantly clear:

Last year we expanded voting opportunities in the midst of the pandemic, as I stated before this county is still in a state of emergency, and we should be doing everything we can to make it as easy as possible for our residents to vote, regardless what of what other elected officials falsely say about elections in Virginia.… No one should have their ballot rejected because they’re unwilling to risk their health and safety to vote. We want to be a county that promotes voter participation and doesn’t punish people.

What’s actually worrying McKay and other Virginia Democrats is the necessity of returning to normal election rules during a Governor’s race in which their candidate appears to be floundering. Terry McAuliffe is a Clinton consigliere with decades of political experience and was a relatively popular governor of Virginia prior to being succeeded by fellow Democrat Ralph Northam. All of which caused McAuliffe and his staff to underestimate his opponent, businessman Glenn Youngkin, mistaking political inexperience for incompetence. McAuliffe then compounded that mistake by committing the colossal blunder of publicly declaring, “I don’t think parents should be telling schools what they should teach.”

More:  https://spectator.org/va-dems-want-last-minute-voting-rule-change/

Re: VA Dems Want Last Minute Voting Rule Change
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 12:54:00 pm »
 :#@$%:

But let's shut down all discussion and review of the election in 2020 ---- we must stop offending the likes of Chris Wallace and Liz Cheney.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 01:19:11 pm »
I am waiting till the last minute to vote... I want to see if I have already voted....  9999hair out0000

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 01:37:42 pm »
I am waiting till the last minute to vote... I want to see if I have already voted....  9999hair out0000

I am so beyond pissed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 02:31:47 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline skeeter

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2021, 01:40:20 pm »
I aso beyond pissed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You need to hear the soothing tones of Chris Wallace telling you voter fraud is all an unsubstantiated lie.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 02:07:37 pm »
Democrats  -  Opposing Due Process since 1868.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2021, 02:11:33 pm »
It is a shame that Virginia has no opposition party against the Democrats.  How refreshing it would be if there was some political party there willing to immediately file suit against Fairfax County to ensure that Commonwealth election law is adhered to.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2021, 02:20:07 pm »
...and Repubs hope to retake the House in 2022....the rats will never let that happen!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2021, 02:32:29 pm »
...and Repubs hope to retake the House in 2022....the rats will never let that happen!

Neither will the GOP.