Author Topic: Right-sizing the force: Army offers armor for smaller troops  (Read 71 times)

rangerrebew

Right-sizing the force: Army offers armor for smaller troops
« on: October 10, 2021, 12:14:47 pm »
Right-sizing the force: Army offers armor for smaller troops

By LOLITA C. BALDOR Associated Press October 10, 2021 7:45 AM

AP WASHINGTON

Army Capt. Kim Pierre-Zamora remembers the protective vest she was issued when she went to basic training a number of years ago. It was a size medium that hung down too far and made it difficult for her to even bend over to pick up something. “Whenever I tried to move or tried to shoulder my weapon or shoot on a pop-up range really quickly, I would have to physically pick up the vest and move it in order to shoulder my weapon,” Pierre-Zamora said. It's a common complaint from female soldiers and small-stature men who have struggled with the bulky armor they've worn over two decades of war in Iraq and Afghanistan. But in recent weeks, the Army for the first time has begun handing out armor in three additional sizes: extra small short, small short and small long. The armor can be adjusted in multiple ways to fit better and allow soldiers to move faster and more freely.

Read more at: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/national-politics/article254901697.html#storylink=cpy