Author Topic: McConnell vows GOP won't help raise debt ceiling in December after Schumer 'tantrum'  (Read 357 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
McConnell vows GOP won't help raise debt ceiling in December after Schumer 'tantrum'
By Jordain Carney - 10/08/21 07:11 PM EDT

Senate GOP Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) warned President Biden Friday that Republicans won't help raise the debt ceiling later this year, and stated that a recent speech by Majority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y) had "poisoned the well."
"Last night, Republicans filled the leadership vacuum that has troubled the Senate since January. I write to inform you that I will not provide such assistance again if your all-Democrat government drifts into another avoidable crisis," McConnell wrote in the letter to Biden.

The letter comes after 11 Republicans helped advance a short-term debt ceiling extension on Thursday night, after a weeks-long standoff where McConnell and his conference said that Democrats would have to raise the debt ceiling on their own through a budget process known as reconciliation.

But on Wednesday McConnell backtracked, offering to let Democrats pass a short-term extension that is expected to last into early December.

Republicans say the move helped alleviate pressure off of Sens. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) and Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.) to change the legislative filibuster and pokes a hole in Democrats' argument that they don't have enough time to raise the debt ceiling on their own.

McConnell's letter is a warning to Democrats, but also gives an early signal to his own members that he won't give Democrats the same offramp in December. The decision by McConnell this week to open the door to a short-term debt extension earned him an unusually intense level of criticism from the Senate GOP caucus, including behind-the-scenes breaks with members of his own leadership team.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/576039-in-blistering-letter-to-biden-mcconnell-vows-gop-wont-help-raise-debt-ceiling-in
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
The Republic is lost.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

exactly.

Mitch has used the same excuse to approve raising the debt ceiling a dozen times over the last several years.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
exactly.

Mitch has used the same excuse to approve raising the debt ceiling a dozen times over the last several years.

He should have been voted out of office at least a dozen years ago!
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Killer Clouds

BS! Everyone know McConnell is a lying POS!

Offline skeeter

Because in the past Christmas time has always been the very best time to shut the government down.

Online Right_in_Virginia

Because in the past Christmas time has always been the very best time to shut the government down.

None of McConnell's strategy makes any damn sense.

Offline skeeter

unless you believe he wants the four trillion dollars as badly as Schumer does.

Or at least his handlers do.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 04:23:16 pm by skeeter »

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten

His strategy makes sense if he's basically trying to preserve the filibuster as an available tool.

Like Chief Justice Roberts apparently caring more about the reputation of SCOTUS than about the Constitution, I suspect McConnell cares more about the procedures of the Senate than about actually representing the state and the people that sent him there.

We can impugn the character of both men by suggesting the adoption of Roberts' children was somehow illicit or that McConnell is benefiting financially, but really this looks to me like Pournelle's Iron Law of Bureaucracy at work.

I'm not defending McConnell (or Roberts), just suggesting that we don't have to accuse them of moral corruption to explain their actions.
James 1:20

Offline skeeter

His strategy makes sense if he's basically trying to preserve the filibuster as an available tool.

Like Chief Justice Roberts apparently caring more about the reputation of SCOTUS than about the Constitution, I suspect McConnell cares more about the procedures of the Senate than about actually representing the state and the people that sent him there.

We can impugn the character of both men by suggesting the adoption of Roberts' children was somehow illicit or that McConnell is benefiting financially, but really this looks to me like Pournelle's Iron Law of Bureaucracy at work.

I'm not defending McConnell (or Roberts), just suggesting that we don't have to accuse them of moral corruption to explain their actions.
i would easily buy that explanation if the overall result weren’t always the exact same thing - exponential growth of intrusive, controlling government while those at the controls grow correspondingly wealthier.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 05:00:27 pm by skeeter »

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
Turtle's the worst GOP Senate leader in history.

There's got be 20 something votes out there to oust him.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
There's got be 20 something votes out there to oust him.

That was my thought as well.  If he actually surprised a majority of the R senators with this, they should remove him as leader.  If they don't remove him as leader then they are as much to blame as he going forward.
James 1:20

Online corbe

Elton John - I've Seen That Movie Too (1973) With Lyrics!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmPf97rgoU4
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Hoodat

So Mitch is claiming that next time he won't swallow?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Mitch McConnell Gives Joe Biden Debt Limit Threat: After Chuck Schumer’s ‘Childish Behavior,’ Republicans Will Not Help You in Future Deal

Wendell Husebø 9 Oct 2021

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) gave President Joe Biden a debt limit threat in a letter Friday after Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer’s (D-NY) “childish behavior” toward Republicans upon increasing the debt limit Thursday.

McConnell wrote to Biden that Schumer “poisoned the well” in a Thursday rant on the Senate floor by suggesting “Republicans played a risky and partisan game” with the debt ceiling. “And I am glad their brinkmanship didn’t work,” Schumer said Thursday, not acknowledging that McConnell helped Schumer raise the debt ceiling with 11 votes.

After the Schumer’s speech, Republicans and Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV) confronted Schumer about the tirade. Manchin reportedly told Schumer his speech was “bleep stupid.”

more
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2021/10/09/mitch-mcconnell-gives-joe-biden-debt-limit-threat-after-chuck-schumers-childish-behavior-republicans-will-not-help-you-in-future-deal/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

A bigger and expanding reason for Texas to leave as the national debt grows by leaps and bounds.

Let the blue states absorb this debacle.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington