Author Topic: Minnesota Supreme Court denies Chauvin request for public defender in George Floyd murder appeal  (Read 239 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Minnesota Supreme Court denies Chauvin request for public defender in George Floyd murder appeal
The Hill, Oct 4, 2021

The Minnesota Supreme Court on Wednesday denied Derek Chauvin's request for a public defender as the former Minneapolis police officer prepares to appeal his murder conviction in the death of George Floyd.

Chief Justice Lorie Gildea signed an order that said Chauvin failed to prove that he qualifies for representation from a public defender, according to the Star Tribune.

The court determined that Chauvin did not illustrate that he was too poor to pay for a private attorney. Gildea did not, however, reveal further details regarding his assets or debts, according to the Star Tribune.

The chief justice wrote in the order, citing state law, that a defendant is considered too poor to provide their own lawyer if they, "through any combination of liquid assets and current income," are not able to finance their own attorney.

The former police officer claimed in an affidavit that he has no earnings other than nominal prison wages he has received, according to The Associated Press. He contended that his debts are larger than his assets.

Chauvin also said he does not currently have legal representation for his appeal.

The Minnesota Supreme Court's decision upheld that of Hennepin County District Judge Peter Cahill, who presided over Chauvin's trial in the spring, according to the news outlets.

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/575663-minnesota-supreme-court-denies-chauvin-request-for-public-defender?amp&__twitter_impression=true

Offline skeeter

We now live in a tin pot dictatorship run by an outlaw government.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

https://mobile.twitter.com/leftyinvests/status/1445924896408629248

@Right_in_Virginia

Yeah,but they are all leftists who are working for him free of charge.

It is a crying damn shame that there seems to be no pro-American law firms willing to represent Chauvin for free.

Or,AFATG,WTH isn't his police union providing him with a lawyer?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
That alone proves grounds for a constitutional mistrial.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Slide Rule

I just finished two Sidney Powell books that my son bought me nearly a year ago.

I thought the officer was convicted of murder or are they now piling on?

In her descriptions, a person is limited in their appeal. Additionally, anyone convicted
pays their own way. So if you plead to a felony, you are in for big trouble and unending
delay.

Best to stop this early. I recommend both of these books. Besides, Sidney could use
the sales. She has many suggestions.

Licensed to Lie
This is the most interesting and more detailed of the two.

Conviction Machine: Standing Up to Federal Prosecutorial Abuse
co authored with Harvey Silverglate and is shorter.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Sidney+POwell&ref=nb_sb_noss_2
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 12:55:50 pm by Slide Rule »
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Sounds like Chauvin needs to file for bankruptcy to get a public defender.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I suggest that Mr. Chauvin refrain from trying to get a "public defender" assigned to his case.

"Public defenders" are almost ALWAYS leftists and anti-police by default. It's why they become public defenders in the first place.

Mr. Chauvin needs someone who will believe in his case and represent him pro-actively.
NOT someone who may be indifferent to him, or who may even try to undermine his defense...