Author Topic: Biden Administration Lauds International Agreement on 15% Minimum Corporate Tax  (Read 167 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Biden Administration Lauds International Agreement on 15% Minimum Corporate Tax

Joel B. Pollak 8 Oct 2021

The Biden Administration celebrated an international agreement among 130 countries on Friday to accept a minimum corporate tax rate of 15%. The idea is to prevent a “race to the bottom” that encourages companies to move offshore.

President Donald Trump and the Republicans had included a provision called “Global Intangible Low-Taxed Income” (GILTI) in the 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, aimed at preventing American companies from fleeing to tax havens. It required U.S. companies to pay a tax rate of 10.5% on profits earned in a foreign country if that country’s tax rate was too low.

But Biden and Secretary of the Treasury Janet Yellen pushed for a global agreement on a minimum corporate tax rate, reviving negotiations that had begun years earlier. Their goal was to make foreign taxes on corporations even higher, so Democrats in Congress could raise taxes on American businesses without fear of chasing them away to low-tax countries.

Though roughly 130 countries had already agreed to the Biden administration’s proposal several months ago, there were several holdouts, notably Ireland, a tax haven for American companies, which agreed Thursday to raise its corporate tax rate from 12.5% to 15%. Some critics say that the 2023 deadline for implementation is too soon; the deal would require the U.S. to raise its tax on overseas profits, which could face political opposition in Congress. Others say that the deal has “no teeth,” given that there are still many countries that have declined to join the deal and could entice businesses with lower rates.

The amount of money lost to governments worldwide every year due to tax havens is estimated at just $245 billion — a small fraction of the amount that the Biden Administration wants Congress to raise to pay for trillions of dollars in new spending.

more
https://www.breitbart.com/economy/2021/10/08/biden-administration-lauds-international-agreement-on-15-minimum-corporate-tax/
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 11:59:08 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Corporations don't pay taxes, their customers do.

More inflation.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Corporations don't pay taxes, their customers do.

More inflation.
Basic economics just one more thing Joe is an expert on :silly: :silly: Of course the buffoon lauds an international agreement he is all for outside authorities telling Americans what the can or can't do and how much they should be paying for goods and services. No doubt under the auspices of that noble unbiased body the UN.............damn I almost made my self puke typing that Bullsh*t!

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

The document is worthless unless it is confirmed by the Senate, which will never happen.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington