Author Topic: Oh my: Amazon looks at leaving Seattle over city council hostility  (Read 443 times)

Offline PeteS in CA

Oh my: Amazon looks at leaving Seattle over city council hostility

https://hotair.com/ed-morrissey/2021/10/07/oh-my-amazon-looks-at-leaving-seattle-over-city-council-hostility-n420881

To paraphrase Animal House, Andy Jassy hasn’t dropped the big one — yet — but he put it in play this week. After years of deteriorating relations with their home city of Seattle and its ultra-progressive city council, Amazon’s CEO made it known that the online giant may look for greener pastures. Citing the city’s hostility toward their presence, Jassy suggested that the suburbs are looking better and better for a new home to its 50,000-employee home base (via Instapundit):

The world’s largest online retailer is by far the biggest private employer in Seattle with more than 50,000 workers. That distinction has proved a headache in recent years, with some residents and government officials blaming the company for exacerbating homelessness and traffic.
The company, which is wrapping up construction of an expanded Seattle headquarters campus, has since shifted its expansion planning toward neighboring cities like Bellevue and Redmond. Bellevue, just east of Seattle, “is where most of our growth will end up being,” Jassy said. He added that he wouldn’t be surprised if Amazon opened other offices in additional cities in the region.

Ummmm, why should a growing city imagine traffic capacity should remain static (or, likely, be reducible by stealing car lanes to make bike lanes)?

How in Hades does a company with growing employee numbers "contribute" to homelessness?

From a business POV, Amazon should be researching getting the Hades out of the State of Washington.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Kamaji

Re: Oh my: Amazon looks at leaving Seattle over city council hostility
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 09:50:18 pm »
Oh my: Amazon looks at leaving Seattle over city council hostility

https://hotair.com/ed-morrissey/2021/10/07/oh-my-amazon-looks-at-leaving-seattle-over-city-council-hostility-n420881

Ummmm, why should a growing city imagine traffic capacity should remain static (or, likely, be reducible by stealing car lanes to make bike lanes)?

How in Hades does a company with growing employee numbers "contribute" to homelessness?

From a business POV, Amazon should be researching getting the Hades out of the State of Washington.

Growing companies "contribute" (note the quotation marks) to homelessness in liberal cities that have strict growth limits or restrictive zoning/housing laws that prevent sufficient new housing being built.  The "theory" (quotation marks again) being that the new employees coming into the city "take" housing from existing residents by bidding up the cost of housing.

The solution, of course, is to get rid of the restrictive rent-seeking zoning/housing laws, but that will never happen because it would require a liberal to actually think rationally.

Offline DB

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2021, 10:13:05 pm »
Seattle can turn in to Detroit for all I care. They earned it.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2021, 11:15:00 pm »
Seattle can turn in to Detroit for all I care. They earned it.

@DB
Seattle IS Detroit,but with white people.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline DB

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2021, 11:22:53 pm »
@DB

Detroit has thousands of abandoned homes. I don't think that's the case yet in Seattle though they're working on it.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2021, 12:09:36 am »
@DB

But they identify as Black.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2021, 12:30:43 am »
They need to stay right where they are, we don't need them moving and finding a new nest to foul.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2021, 12:34:41 am »
They need to stay right where they are, we don't need them moving and finding a new nest to foul.

Most of the cities around Seattle are already fouled.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2021, 12:42:27 am »

In 2003, the Detroit Arab American Study, a survey conducted by the Institute for Social Research at the University of Michigan, found that the community was 58% Christian and 42% Muslim

Elected officials:

Abdullah Hammoud (Michigan House of Representatives, 15th District, 2016–present)
    Rashida Tlaib (Michigan House of Representatives, 6th District, 2009-2014), (US House of Representatives, 13th District, 2019–present)

In 2013 the city council of Hamtramck became the first in the U.S. that was Muslim majority.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2021, 02:04:46 am »

@Wingnut

Dat bees causen dey is so sensitive,and Biden,dat dey feels de pain.

I suspect most of them have saved a lot of money by no longer having to pay someone to beat them.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2021, 05:21:41 am »
Right.

Fix the problems in situ.

Don't drag that nonsense around the country and mess up somewhere else.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2021, 05:23:03 am »
@Wingnut

Dat bees causen dey is so sensitive,and Biden,dat dey feels de pain.

I suspect most of them have saved a lot of money by no longer having to pay someone to beat them.
That's an occupational hazard when people spend too much time being offended for people who could take offense if they want to, all on their own.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis