Author Topic: Colorado Springs woman denied kidney transplant because of COVID-19 vaccination status  (Read 329 times)

Online Hoodat

Colorado Springs woman denied kidney transplant because of COVID-19 vaccination status

KKTV   |   Oct. 6, 2021 at 1:08 AM EDT

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (KKTV) - Leilani Lutali told 11 News she has end stage renal failure and needs a kidney as soon as possible. She said when she started working with UCHealth months ago, the fact that she was unvaccinated was not an issue.

“Fast forward a month and that policy had changed. So that was a surprise to me,” Lutali said.

She had found a donor candidate, Jaimee Fougner, who was willing to go through the tests. But after passing a few preliminary exams, Fougner was asked if she was vaccinated. She is not, and the process stopped.

UCHealth did not speak to 11 News on camera, but they did issue a statement outlining the risk they associate with a transplant recipient and the COVID-19 virus. They would not comment on any individual patients.

“Note that among the general population, for those who test positive for COVID-19, the mortality (death) rate is about 1.6%. It’s even less if you consider the people who are infected but who don’t get tested or who are asymptomatic,” UCHealth’s Vice President Communications Dan Weaver explained in an email to 11 News. “For transplant patients who contract COVID-19, the mortality rate ranges from about 20% to more than 30%.”  .  .  .

https://www.kktv.com/2021/10/06/colorado-springs-woman-denied-kidney-transplant-because-vaccination-status/
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online mountaineer

Tim Geitner
@tgeitner
UCHealth denies life saving treatment - kidney transplant - to El Paso County resident.  See my FB live post @timgeitnercolorado

2:51 PM · Oct 5, 2021·
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Hoodat

And now you see why Democrats have been trying to take over health care for the last few decades.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
And what's the risk of dying if she doesn't get the transplant?

Yeah, I thought so...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline skeeter

Today its your vaccination status.

Tomorrow it'll be you gender, race or political party affiliation.

Once we go down this path...

Offline Kamaji

Seems like a straight up violation of the Hippocratic Oath.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
And what's the risk of dying if she doesn't get the transplant?

Yeah, I thought so...
But but but that donated kidney would have been wasted, of course the prospective donor might never choose to donate to anyone else, especially after this.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 08:55:58 pm by GtHawk »

Online mountaineer

And they laughed at the notion of death panels ...

Offline Victoria33

@Hoodat  and the rest of the men on this thread:  I had not thought of Covid and surgery until I read this thread:

OK, had emergency surgery last month, replaced whole hip and had bleeding artery in head, had to have blood transfusion.  WHAT ABOUT COVID?  i was unconscious and Bob was not at hospital, could not tell them I cannot take the vaccine.  Bob's daughter was at hospital, do not know if she actually knew I could not take the vaccine.  But if she did tell them I was not vaccinated, they were stopping the blood loss immediately anyway.  What would you do as the hip surgeon - replace the hip or not?  There I was, unconscious, knob broken off my femur bone, would you operate and risk getting Covid?

I do know I was checked for Covid every three days at hospital for a week and at the rehab. place every three days for 22 days.  At rehab place I was not allowed to be near other patients there.

Offline PeteS in CA

If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online Hoodat

There I was, unconscious, knob broken off my femur bone, would you operate and risk getting Covid?

There is far more risk of catching Covid from a vaccinated person than an unvaccinated one.  This had nothing to do with catching Covid from a patient being operated on.

Online GtHawk

@Hoodat  and the rest of the men on this thread:  I had not thought of Covid and surgery until I read this thread:

OK, had emergency surgery last month, replaced whole hip and had bleeding artery in head, had to have blood transfusion.  WHAT ABOUT COVID?  i was unconscious and Bob was not at hospital, could not tell them I cannot take the vaccine.  Bob's daughter was at hospital, do not know if she actually knew I could not take the vaccine.  But if she did tell them I was not vaccinated, they were stopping the blood loss immediately anyway.  What would you do as the hip surgeon - replace the hip or not?  There I was, unconscious, knob broken off my femur bone, would you operate and risk getting Covid?

I do know I was checked for Covid every three days at hospital for a week and at the rehab. place every three days for 22 days.  At rehab place I was not allowed to be near other patients there.
My best friend had to under go  surgery for a brain tumor earlier this year and they didn't give a rip that he hadn't been vaccinated all they cared was that he was not testing positive before the surgery.

I guess some life threatening diseases are more equal than others.

Online GtHawk

There is far more risk of catching Covid from a vaccinated person than an unvaccinated one.  This had nothing to do with catching Covid from a patient being operated on.
Wow it sure would cut the traffic at trauma hospitals if they turned away every unvaccinated victim for fear of the medical team getting infected, think how it would have been if doctors and nurse had continued to refuse to treat Lepers? What are we in the new Dark Ages? What other illnesses or diseases should be added to the no care list?

Offline LadyLiberty

I hope they find another hospital that is willing to do the surgery. But, they need to realize that after the transplant they will be on immunosuppressants for the rest of their life to prevent their immune system from rejecting the kidney. That will make them not only much more likely to have a life-threatening case of covid, but a myriad of other infections as well, so they will have to be almost hermit-like in the way that they conduct their life. Sad situation, even without covid in the picture.

Online mountaineer

We were just talking to some friends about a mutual acquaintance who received a new kidney about 9 months ago. His doctors really don't want him out and about at all, because of the risk of getting the 'rona. It appears his doctors view the Covid vaccine he received as not providing any real protection.

Online Smokin Joe

Back to the argument that surgeons wear masks, yadda, yadda, yadda....

:shrug:

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

Wow it sure would cut the traffic at trauma hospitals if they turned away every unvaccinated victim for fear of the medical team getting infected, think how it would have been if doctors and nurse had continued to refuse to treat Lepers? What are we in the new Dark Ages? What other illnesses or diseases should be added to the no care list?
Not so long ago, If you had a heart attack in NYC and required resuscitation, you were allowed to die. because: Corona!

Never before in the history of humanity has a disease been used as such an excuse for so many people to NOT do their jobs.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

My best friend had to under go  surgery for a brain tumor earlier this year and they didn't give a rip that he hadn't been vaccinated all they cared was that he was not testing positive before the surgery.

I guess some life threatening diseases are more equal than others.
Some doctors are more sane than others.

If the patient doesn't have it, they can't give it to you.

C S Lewis