Author Topic: 3,700 DOT workers furloughed after Congress fails to extend highway funding  (Read 315 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
3,700 DOT workers furloughed after Congress fails to extend highway funding
By Karl Evers-Hillstrom - 10/01/21 05:02 PM EDT

The Department of Transportation furloughed roughly 3,700 workers on Friday after Congress failed to pass an extension of federal highway funding that was included in the $1.2 trillion bipartisan infrastructure bill.

The agency said in a statement that it is working with Congress to swiftly restore transportation funding. Democratic leaders in the House and Senate on Friday said that they are preparing a 30-day reauthorization in case lawmakers are unable to pass the infrastructure bill.

The bulk of those employees furloughed work at the Federal Highway Administration, which provides federal funding to state transportation departments to pay for road and transit projects. State transportation officials said that a prolonged lapse in funding could delay the construction of key projects.

“We are dealing with very real repercussions,” the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials said in a statement Friday. “Thousands of federal employees at USDOT are being furloughed and $50 billion of federal surface transportation programs supported by the Highway Trust Fund are being suspended. This is unacceptable.”

more
https://thehill.com/policy/transportation/574953-3700-dot-workers-furloughed-after-congress-fails-to-extend-highway
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
For all the trillions Biden has relentlessly spent, and all the Americans he has already put out of work, and even after passing another trillion dollar spending bill.  One might well say the movement to relentlessly spend until America is bankrupt is impressive in its fanatical drive by democrats.
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Offline Killer Clouds

So they furlough a bunch of unnecessary GS overpaid white collar workers. All it amounts to is a paid vacation.

Offline EdinVA

But the CR funded the government at the current levels, no new projects but keep the lights on.
The 3700 write checks to give to the states so the states can actually do the work.
So why are the 3700 getting furloughed? Me thinks we are being had.....  The infrastructure bill being smuggled thru one agency at a time?

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
But the CR funded the government at the current levels, no new projects but keep the lights on.
The 3700 write checks to give to the states so the states can actually do the work.
So why are the 3700 getting furloughed? Me thinks we are being had.....  The infrastructure bill being smuggled thru one agency at a time?
It's standard bureaucratic BS.

If you won't give us far more money than the job could be done with,

We will howl and lay off the people who actually make sh*t happen.

The first to go? Patrol level police, Fire fighters, EMS, the people who do the work or those critical to getting it done.

Why are we giving money to the Feds to dole out to the States to build roads in the States?
How about we cut out the middle man and get the job done?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline christian

Biden knows how to get Taliban tough now on Americans, so expect this is just the beginning for Biden dealing with us!

Offline EdinVA

The first to go? Patrol level police, Fire fighters, EMS, the people who do the work or those critical to getting it done.

Why are we giving money to the Feds to dole out to the States to build roads in the States?

:yowsa:

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

:yowsa:  :amen:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline christian

As seen on many levels, the Feds have isolated themselves from the American people, not the American peoples money though.  As States are more likely to represent the peoples interests, the Feds will fight viciously to control the money, while denying the peoples interests.  Federal revenue sharing was for building the Interstate system, and is long overdue to be disbanded or limited.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
3,700 government workers furloughed?

Can we get 37,000 more furloughed, as well?

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
3,700 government workers furloughed?

Can we get 37,000 more furloughed, as well?
There are roughly 2,100,000 Federal Government employees.

3700is only 0.18%
37,000 is only 1.8%

370,000 would be a good (first round) cut.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
There are roughly 2,100,000 Federal Government employees.

3700is only 0.18%
37,000 is only 1.8%

370,000 would be a good (first round) cut.

:yowsa: :amen:

And the only ones who would know they were gone are their office mates.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 10:16:18 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien