Author Topic: Fall In Arizona  (Read 2583 times)

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
Fall In Arizona
« on: October 02, 2021, 05:26:13 pm »
I am a native of Arizona, but have been away for a long time.

I lived in California for six years in the city of Antioch.  Antioch was about 40 minutes out of Oakland and almost 60 minutes to San Francisco. 

There was a barrier of mountains along the coast.

When I interviewed with DOW Chemical, nobody told me about the really crappy winters they had there.  About Mid December, dense ground level fog rolled into the area and the sun went away for the most part for almost 3 months.  There were breaks from time to time, but it was damp and cold.  About mid-March it would start to break up. 

From CA we moved to Kansas.  We soon became aware of the snow and bitter cold winds.  Usually October came in in very pleasant.  But it could quickly get ugly.  I took my children trick-or-treating in balmy weather.  I also took them out in 20 F temperatures, snow, and sometimes ice-storms.   The real bummer was that you sometimes had to wait for Spring.  There were times when March warmed and the trees budded....only to have a really cold and bleak April (snow !!!).  In fact, my last year there we had two 10" snow events in late April (back to back.....probably the most I'd ever seen) followed by a freak snow storm (of 6") on May 3rd.

For this reason, I often felt the cooler temps of September/October with some sadness.  I knew it would pass and soon we would be cold, often cloudy, and snowy.

That is one reason we moved to SE New Mexico.  I am looking out at the deep blue sky (I call it Colorado blue) not feeling that same sadness.  I don't like the short days, and it gets chilly, but there is rarely a day I can't go outside to do something in relative comfort (provided by a jacket or sweathshirt).

I recall playing football on Christmas Day in T-Shirts at the grade school I attended in Scottsdale. 

I am grateful for the mild winters and look forward to the seasonal comfort of Fall and Winter.

Happy fall everyone !

Enjoy !!!!

:beer: :beer: :beer:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 05:57:58 pm by HikerGuy83 »

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Fall IN Arizona
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2021, 05:57:03 pm »
BC (before COVID), I frequently passed through your area on my way to SW New Mexico and SE Arizona where my wife grew up.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
Re: Fall In Arizona
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2021, 06:00:08 pm »
BC (before COVID), I frequently passed through your area on my way to SW New Mexico and SE Arizona where my wife grew up.

Where I live now (Artesia) is pretty scrawny (flat dry and dusty).  However, you can be at almost 10,000 feet in Cloudcroft in 90 minutes. 

It takes two hours to get to Ruidoso where you can get good hiking in summer and snowskiing in the winter.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2021, 06:04:05 pm »
Where I live now (Artesia) is pretty scrawny (flat dry and dusty).  However, you can be at almost 10,000 feet in Cloudcroft in 90 minutes. 

It takes two hours to get to Ruidoso where you can get good hiking in summer and snowskiing in the winter.

I used to do consulting work for major oil companies in Eastern New Mexico and West Texas so I'm very familiar with that region. My wife's step father was from Artesia.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 06:05:24 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2021, 06:15:40 pm »
In the deserts of AZ, Fall and Spring are both about a week long.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2021, 01:55:06 am »
I am just grateful that the winter won't bring snow, sub zero temps (to the valley) or fog.

The days are shorter, but they are still pretty nice.

Even in Sedona, a November day can start off with a hard frost an still reach 65 F.

I love it !!!

Online libertybele

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2021, 02:08:49 am »
Well Fall in SWFL is when we see our temps get just below 90 with every day mostly sunny and starting to get a breeze out of the north.  Beautiful weather.  Hurricane season doesn't end till November so we still could see some inclimate weather.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2021, 11:53:30 am »
When I graduated from college, AZ had just added it's 5th congressional district.

Today it has nine.

Given that the population of the country has gone from 235,000,000 to 335,000,000 in that same time...that is no small deal (since the number of seats is a zero sum game).

Unless someone struck oil in AZ and I don't know about it...the weather is a big factor in that.

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2021, 12:07:17 pm »
Well Fall in SWFL is when we see our temps get just below 90 with every day mostly sunny and starting to get a breeze out of the north.  Beautiful weather.  Hurricane season doesn't end till November so we still could see some inclimate weather.

If I read things right (not as available as I would have thought), FL had 15 congressional seats in 1980.  Today it has 27 !

That is in incredible.

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2021, 03:04:19 pm »
When the highs are in the mid-90's, it's Fall !!!!

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2022, 04:41:28 am »
Hoping for an Indian Summer.

Can I still use that term ????

888mouth 888mouth 888mouth

Online DB

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2022, 04:45:29 am »
I'm looking forward to the 70's...

Still have awhile to wait...

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2022, 04:48:36 am »
I'm looking forward to the 70's...

Still have awhile to wait...

Ugh....for the low...maybe.

Online DB

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2022, 05:47:16 am »
Ugh....for the low...maybe.

The lows for most of the coming week is supposed to be in the mid to high 70's... Maybe it will get there in the daytime by December...

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2022, 11:55:02 am »
The lows for most of the coming week is supposed to be in the mid to high 70's... Maybe it will get there in the daytime by December...

I love Sedona in the fall.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 11:55:53 am by HikerGuy83 »

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2022, 12:29:06 pm »
I once had a job offer in Hobbs.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2022, 01:55:08 pm »
Hoping for an Indian Summer.

Can I still use that term ????

888mouth 888mouth 888mouth

We still have 100 degree days ahead.  Not many, though.  We'll get a couple of weeks of nice weather, then BAM!  Plunge down into the 50's.

And I still call it Indian Summer, just to gripe off the lefties.  I'm glad I moved to a rural county, we're still allowed to be free.  Left Phoenix at just the right time.  I know the place was going to hell when I saw the Dems took to slashing up Trump signs in '16.

Now the Dems just steal them again.  About 75 GOP campaign signs were stolen in my town, so the violent Rats are here now too.  Police don't care.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2022, 01:57:29 pm »
When I graduated from college, AZ had just added it's 5th congressional district.

Today it has nine.

Given that the population of the country has gone from 235,000,000 to 335,000,000 in that same time...that is no small deal (since the number of seats is a zero sum game).

Unless someone struck oil in AZ and I don't know about it...the weather is a big factor in that.

AZ should have 10, but the Dem states padded their census numbers.   :shrug:
I will NOT comply.

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2022, 04:54:53 pm »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2022, 06:11:24 pm »
I will NOT comply.

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2022, 07:21:14 pm »
"Sedona:  The Land of 5,000 Roundabouts!" wink777

And about 200 hiking  trails !!!!!

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2022, 07:35:45 pm »
It's 95F here in the Florida of Iowa, then tomorrow it's supposed to drop and be in the mid-60's to mid-70's for at least a good month. Fall should be excellent, we've had good rain and good foliage.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 07:38:08 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Online libertybele

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2022, 08:16:34 pm »
On a positive note; we're in the low '90's and dip down into the mid 70's at night.  We are still getting our daily rains for about an hour and then blue skies and sunshine.  We live in the burbs, better known as the city, but our weather is beautiful and we can still fish off our seawall and we have plenty of waterfowl and other birds to gaze at.  I just wish the influx of people coming here would come to a halt; we saw nearly a 4% increase in our population this year. We still have two empty lots next to us but they're slated to build two streets over from the canal behind us. (sigh).  Enough already!   happy77
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 08:17:23 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2022, 09:30:23 pm »
Lightweights...

It's been low 60s here, and dropping into the low 40s at night... Might have seen high 30s by now.

All I know is this is my favorite time of year for sleeping. Windows are wide open and stay that way. So between now and somewhere around the end of October, no fire, no heat, no air, and a ton of blankets on the bed.

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2022, 10:03:36 pm »
Lightweights...

It's been low 60s here, and dropping into the low 40s at night... Might have seen high 30s by now.

All I know is this is my favorite time of year for sleeping. Windows are wide open and stay that way. So between now and somewhere around the end of October, no fire, no heat, no air, and a ton of blankets on the bed.

Enjoy.

I know I go camping in cold weather to remind me how much I love the HEAT !!!