Author Topic: Dow books worst month since Oct. 2020, skids 550 points in final session of September  (Read 325 times)

Online libertybele

Dow books worst month since Oct. 2020, skids 550 points in final session of September

U.S. stocks close lower Thursday, despite last-minute moves from Congress to avert a partial government shutdown, as Wall Street wrapped up the last trading day of a tough September and third quarter.

Investors also were parsing testimony from Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell and Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen, who appeared before the House Financial Services Committee.

For the month, the Dow recorded a 4.3% decline, and the S&P 500 was down 4.8%, snapping a seven-month winning streak. The Nasdaq Composite was off 5.3%, its worst September in a decade. For the quarter, the Dow was down 1.9%, the S&P 500 was up 0.2% and the Nasdaq Composite was up 0.4%.
What drove the market?

Congress voted through a short-term spending bill to keep the U.S. federal government running through early December, acting with only hours remaining before a partial shutdown. Congress has yet to raise the federal debt ceiling though.

The House is still aiming to pass a roughly $1 trillion infrastructure bill already passed by the Senate, but which may be in doubt as Democratic factions are threatening to block the bill unless moderate members sign on to supporting a separate, broader bill focused on climate change, education, and healthcare.

Investors were also digesting fresh comments from Fed Chairman Jerome Powell, on inflation remaining high for the time being due to supply bottlenecks as the economy recovers from the pandemic, as he testified to a House panel on COVID relief, along with Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen. ............

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/u-s-stock-futures-point-to-gains-on-the-last-trading-day-of-september-11633002997?mod=home-page
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
And we all know how Octobers's go.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online libertybele

And we all know how Octobers's go.

Dow 15,000??

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
Dow 15,000??

The Big One?  I'll go. with a 25-30% chance, and only expected if some unexpected event triggers a collpase.

Actually, a more likely scenario is market staying near the same or even increasing some, but with inflation continuing to build rapidly.  Which of course is in essence a drop when your $ is only worth 75% of what is was a year ago.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online libertybele

The Big One?  I'll go. with a 25-30% chance, and only expected if some unexpected event triggers a collpase.

Actually, a more likely scenario is market staying near the same or even increasing some, but with inflation continuing to build rapidly.  Which of course is in essence a drop when your $ is only worth 75% of what is was a year ago.

Well, I believe that that there's a real possibility that we will see another  9-11 only much, much larger; probably right around the '22 election.  Inflation and those coming across the border are just adding turmoil to an already crumbling Republic and the market will tank right along with it. 

There just isn't any positive news out there.  None.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Any bets on how long it takes Joe to blame Trump with his tired old look what I inherited lie?

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
We got room to run in the short term, around 3800 on the SPX.

Not much support at the moment...
The Republic is lost.

Online catfish1957

DOW's up 500 today, and the sleazy MSM financial networks won't say why.   :cool: