Author Topic: Schumer to try to get deal to bypass filibuster on debt hike  (Read 107 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Schumer to try to get deal to bypass filibuster on debt hike
« on: September 28, 2021, 03:22:02 pm »
Schumer to try to get deal to bypass filibuster on debt hike
By Jordain Carney - 09/28/21 11:18 AM EDT

Senate Majority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) said on Tuesday that he will try to bypass the legislative filibuster on increasing the country's borrowing limit — a move expected to be blocked by Republicans.

The move by Schumer, which he said he will request later Tuesday, comes after Republicans blocked a House-passed government funding and debt ceiling bill from getting the 60 votes needed to break a legislative filibuster on Monday night.

Schumer said that he will ask the Senate for unanimous consent, which any one GOP senator can object to and block, to set up a vote on a debt ceiling increase that could pass by a simple majority. That would allow Democrats to suspend the debt ceiling on their own.

"I will ask unanimous consent for the Senate to hold a vote to increase the debt limit at a majority threshold. ...It would be very similar to the process that Leader [Mitch] McConnell cited yesterday favorably which allowed for the debt limit to be increased without the minority party providing any of the votes needed to do so," Schumer said.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/574262-schumer-to-try-to-get-deal-to-bypass-filibuster-on-debt-hike
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
Re: Schumer to try to get deal to bypass filibuster on debt hike
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 03:54:31 pm »
It's amazing that in this country, the best we can find to serve in the senate (and in leadership) are people like: Sucky F**cky Upchucky Schumer.

Offline Kamaji

Re: Schumer to try to get deal to bypass filibuster on debt hike
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 04:01:04 pm »
It's amazing that in this country, the best we can find to serve in the senate (and in leadership) are people like: Sucky F**cky Upchucky Schumer.

Excuse me, but I happen to be a resident of NY ...

... and I can say, without reservation, that you are gratuitously libeling honest, hardworking Sucky F**cky Upchucky people when you compare them to Schumer!