Author Topic: Senate Republicans Block Government Funding, Debt Ceiling Bill  (Read 143 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Senate Republicans Block Government Funding, Debt Ceiling Bill
« on: September 27, 2021, 11:46:20 pm »
Senate Republicans Block Government Funding, Debt Ceiling Bill

Sean Moran  27 Sep 2021

Senate Republicans blocked a government spending and debt ceiling bill Monday, setting up a dramatic showdown between Republicans and Democrats on whether Congress should raise the debt ceiling while Democrats plan to spend trillions on infrastructure and social spending.

The Senate failed to invoke cloture, 48-50, on H.R. 5305, the continuing resolution (CR). Senate Republicans blocked the CR as House Democrats remain poised to vote on the $3.5 trillion infrastructure bill.

Democrats, rather than put the debt ceiling increase in the $3.5 trillion reconciliation bill, decided that they would pack the debt ceiling increase in the government funding bill.

The Democrats’ CR would lift the debt ceiling through the 2022 midterm elections and fund the government through December.

The federal government will run out of funding on September 30, and the debt ceiling must be lifted in early October.

Sen. Ron Johnson (R-WI), who voted no, said in a statement after the vote:

Democrats are in control of the executive and legislative branches of government. As they demonstrated in passing massive spending bills on a purely partisan basis, they are fully capable of increasing the debt ceiling without Republican votes. I drafted a letter that 46 Republican senators signed in early August giving Democrats fair warning that they would not receive Republican help in raising the debt ceiling to accommodate their partisan deficit spending. Inflation is wiping out wage gains, deficit spending is mortgaging our children’s future, and Democrats need to take responsibility and be held accountable for adding trillions of dollars more to our national debt.

more
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2021/09/27/senate-republicans-block-government-funding-debt-ceiling-bill/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Re: Senate Republicans Block Government Funding, Debt Ceiling Bill
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 12:56:17 am »
Senate Republicans block debt limit, government funding bill

...."Not a single Republican joined the chamber’s 50 Democrats to try to keep the bill alive." ........

I am absolutely amazed.  :patriot:

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2021/sep/27/senate-republicans-block-debt-limit-government-fun/
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Senate Republicans Block Government Funding, Debt Ceiling Bill
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 01:06:51 am »
Slightly off-topic, but this may provide an answer to a question I've been asking for the past week or so. It's also relevant to any other legislation coming up in the Senate.

That question is:
Is Dianne Feinstein still appearing in the Senate?
I had read that she has been absent for a few weeks now, with the cause being deteriorating physical or mental conditions, or both.

I looked up the roll call vote for HR 3505, you can view it here:
https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=117&session=1&vote=00385

It shows Feinstein -- Not Voting.

So... she wasn't there, at least for today.

IF she's not able to attend the Senate for now... it means so long as all the Republicans show up to vote, and vote "as a bloc", the demo-communists can't break a tie, because they only have 49 votes to begin with.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 01:07:37 am by Fishrrman »