Author Topic: China Can’t Win an Arms Race With the US  (Read 190 times)

rangerrebew

China Can’t Win an Arms Race With the US
« on: September 24, 2021, 09:37:32 am »
China Can’t Win an Arms Race With the US
Thursday, 23 September, 2021 - 05:00
Minxin Pei

After the collapse of the Soviet Union three decades ago, Chinese leaders reportedly commissioned in-depth studies of its causes. One of the U.S.S.R.’s biggest mistakes, according to Chinese researchers, was to engage in a costly arms race with the US that ultimately bankrupted the Soviet economy.

Today, as the US concentrates its military capabilities on East Asia, China confronts a similar strategic dilemma. Attempting to match America’s military might would require China to increase defense spending radically — the same trap that ensnared the Soviets. Failing to counter a US military buildup, however, could leave China even more insecure and vulnerable.

The US decision to arm Australia with nuclear-powered attack submarines has starkly highlighted China’s predicament. With this dramatic strategic move, the US is effectively challenging China to a new and likely astronomically expensive arms race. Each Virginia-class US submarine carries a price tag of $3.45 billion.

https://english.aawsat.com/home/article/3204696/minxin-pei/china-can%E2%80%99t-win-arms-race-us

rangerrebew

Re: China Can’t Win an Arms Race With the US
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 09:39:20 am »
They don't have to with Biden around.  He'll just give them the technology they need by leaving it somewhere in the Middle East. :whistle:

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 11:16:55 am »
Rare earths, people....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 11:45:55 am »
I think it is more likely the chinese will spend us into bankruptcy trying to keep up with them....
We better develop a will to win or it won't matter how big a boom we can make...

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 12:18:25 pm »
I think it is more likely the chinese will spend us into bankruptcy trying to keep up with them....
We better develop a will to win or it won't matter how big a boom we can make...
Clearing the surrender monkeys out of the JCS would be a good start. Removing a few traitors might be a plus, too, and having a POTUS who could finish a sentence off script would be a winner. **nononono*
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2021, 10:34:13 pm »
EdinVa wrote:
"I think it is more likely the chinese will spend us into bankruptcy trying to keep up with them...."

That's how Reagan brought down the Soviets.
I expect the Chinese were watching and taking it in.

Considering that we seem more than eager to hasten our decline towards national bankruptcy, I would not count out the Chinese on this one. Particularly with the DCP in charge of things, which would deliberately cripple our military and defense capabilities, and give the Chinese a leading edge...

(DCP = democrat/communist party)

Offline libertybele

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2021, 10:41:54 pm »
Clearing the surrender monkeys out of the JCS would be a good start. Removing a few traitors might be a plus, too, and having a POTUS who could finish a sentence off script would be a winner. **nononono*

Or... one who doesn't laugh hysterically at everything (that's what's coming next).
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.