Author Topic: Apps for Popular Smart Home Devices Contain Security Flaws, New Research Finds  (Read 561 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Florida Tech News by Adam Lowenstein 9/23/2021

Devices from Amazon, SimpliSafe, Google Home and Others Are Susceptible to Basic Attacks

New cybersecurity research from Florida Tech has found that the smartphone companion applications of 16 popular smart home devices contain “critical cryptographic flaws” that could allow attackers to intercept and modify their traffic.

As Internet of Things (IoT) devices such as connected locks, motion sensors, security cameras and smart speakers become increasingly ubiquitous in households across the country, their surging popularity means more people are at risk of cyber intrusions.

“IoT devices offer the promise of security with connected locks, alarms, and security cameras,” computer engineering and sciences assistant professor TJ O’Connor and students Dylan Jessee and Daniel Campos write in their paper, Through the Spyglass: Toward IOT Companion App Man-in-the-Middle Attacks. “However, attackers can leverage the immature but pervasive nature of IoT to spy on and surveil victims.”

O’Connor leads Florida Tech’s cybersecurity program and directs the IoT Security and Privacy Lab (pictured above), which has produced eye-opening research into privacy flaws in internet-connected cameras. This summer he was named head coach of the inaugural U.S. Cyber Games team.

More: https://news.fit.edu/academics-research/apps-for-popular-smart-home-devices-contain-security-flaws-new-research-finds/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=apps-for-popular-smart-home-devices-contain-security-flaws-new-research-finds

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
One more reason my house will remain on 'manual'...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
My only smart devices are our cell phones and a PC.