Author Topic: BREAKING...Coroner confirms body found where Gabby Petito search is underway in Wyoming, identity un  (Read 7287 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Hiker claims he saw Brian Laundrie near Appalachian Trail
A man claims he spoke to someone he believes to be Brian Laundrie near the Appalacian Trail
By Audrey Conklin | Fox News

A Florida man hiking the Appalachian Trail claims he saw Brian Laundrie driving in a white pickup truck around 12:30 a.m. ET on Saturday in Tennessee near the North Carolina border.

Dennis Davis, who spoke to a number of news outlets on Saturday including Fox News Digital twice, said it didn't at first register that the driver may have been Laundrie, but after the encounter, he looked up photos of the fugitive wanted on debit card fraud charges, and he then felt convinced enough to call in the sighting to FBI twice, as well as 911 operators in Tennessee and North Carolina.

"There is no doubt about it. That was Brian Laundrie I was just talking to. 100%. Not a doubt in my mind," Davis said of the encounter after he looked up both a portrait and profile shot of Laundrie on his phone.

Laundrie is on the lam and is wanted on bank fraud charges after his 22-year-old fiancée, Gabby Petito, was found dead in Wyoming last month.

Davis and some other hikers were going to leave a car at the Northern Terminus of the AppalachianTrail, and he was going to sleep at the trailhead Friday night. He accidentally passed a parking lot near the trail and was going to make a U-turn on Waterville Road when "a vehicle approached" from behind him and flashed its headlights as if signaling to Davis that he could complete his U-turn.

After completing his U-turn, he was driving back in the direction of the pickup truck when the man driving it stuck his hand out of the vehicle.

"I pulled up alongside of the vehicle," Davis explained. "…I rolled my window down and I started talking with the gentleman. I could tell right away that something wasn't right with him."

His immediate thought was that the driver was "on drugs at first," but after reflecting on it, Davis said he "looked mentally shot." Davis added that the driver "didn't look dirty at all."

The driver then told Davis that he was lost and was trying to get to California after getting in a fight with his girlfriend.

"He said me and my girlfriend had a fight, and man, I love her, and she called me, and I need to go out to California to see her," Davis explained. Davis then told the driver to take I-40 West, but the driver said no and that he would rather stay on Waterville Road by the Pigeon River.

"He said, ‘No, I think this road that we're on — I'm going to take it to California,'" Davis said.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/us/hiker-claims-saw-brian-laundrie-appalacian-trail
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online libertybele

It's possibly Laundrie. If it is there's two possibilities; he asked directions to CA to throw searchers in that direction or he is indeed showing signs of being mentally not with it.  He's having to live with what he's done along with the real possibility of getting caught and doing time.  Either way, they know that he's traveling in a white pick up truck (where did that come from) and he's somewhere in the Appalachians.

He's been identified more than once; it's just a matter of time, before they snag him.  The Appalachian trail may be extremely long, but there's ways to secure off entry and exit points.

Asking for directions wasn't the brightest move; now he's been ID'd and in a white pick up.                 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
That sounds like someone is laying the base for an insanity plea.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Smokin Joe

Sounds like BS to me. How stupid do you have to be to not know that if you are on the east coast and want to go to California,you just head west. If you are too ignorant to know which way west is,follow the sun.

This ain't rocket science.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online libertybele

...hmmm that's an angle that I hadn't thought of. There is a report that Gabby herself said that she was to blame for the fight because she had OCD when they were questioned by the police in Utah. OCD creating a reason for someone to hit or slap them?  I was surprised that, that was her excuse.                     

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Smokin Joe

@Smokin Joe

Sounds like BS to me. How stupid do you have to be to not know that if you are on the east coast and want to go to California,you just head west. If you are too ignorant to know which way west is,follow the sun.

This ain't rocket science.
:shrug:

Maybe he's traveling at night... :tongue2: :silly:

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

...hmmm that's an angle that I hadn't thought of. There is a report that Gabby herself said that she was to blame for the fight because she had OCD when they were questioned by the police in Utah. OCD creating a reason for someone to hit or slap them?  I was surprised that, that was her excuse.                     
It was early on in this case, from one of the officer's body cam footage, where she was saying she slapped him first, and going on about her OCD.

Traveling on the road for those of us who don't have any serious behavioural issues can be difficult. "Where did you put my _______" can be a common question if you aren't organized (taking care of your own gear), and a point of irritation for normal folks. For someone who demands that everything be in its place, it would be difficult, because sometimes stuff gets jumbled. I can see where after a week or two that might reach the point where other personality issues might surface as well, and become cause for conflict.

The problem is that people who are traveling together and far from home might not be able to just let it go, and then the same issues keep resurfacing and get blown out of proportion. If both people don't have the maturity to let those issues go and prevent them from being a constant bone of contention, if they both continue to argue, a minor thing can become a major problem, all blown out of proportion. People can be odd that way.

I have observed this in decades of working with people 12 hours on/12 hours off, for the duration of a job. You share lab space, duties, and often living quarters. At the end of the job you are usually either lifelong friends, or you would rather not work with that SOB ever again. There is seldom any middle ground.
I imagine it would be even more intense for a betrothed couple, especially with feeling that they were 'trapped' together, perhaps for life.

C S Lewis

Online libertybele

It was early on in this case, from one of the officer's body cam footage, where she was saying she slapped him first, and going on about her OCD.

Traveling on the road for those of us who don't have any serious behavioural issues can be difficult. "Where did you put my _______" can be a common question if you aren't organized (taking care of your own gear), and a point of irritation for normal folks. For someone who demands that everything be in its place, it would be difficult, because sometimes stuff gets jumbled. I can see where after a week or two that might reach the point where other personality issues might surface as well, and become cause for conflict.

The problem is that people who are traveling together and far from home might not be able to just let it go, and then the same issues keep resurfacing and get blown out of proportion. If both people don't have the maturity to let those issues go and prevent them from being a constant bone of contention, if they both continue to argue, a minor thing can become a major problem, all blown out of proportion. People can be odd that way.

I have observed this in decades of working with people 12 hours on/12 hours off, for the duration of a job. You share lab space, duties, and often living quarters. At the end of the job you are usually either lifelong friends, or you would rather not work with that SOB ever again. There is seldom any middle ground.
I imagine it would be even more intense for a betrothed couple, especially with feeling that they were 'trapped' together, perhaps for life.

Obviously the relationship between the two was not a healthy one. He hasn't been questioned about her death nor accused, so right now he is presumed innocent. 

Her death was determined to be a homicide, so there isn't much chance that someone else killed her though. His parents retained an attorney and it was a couple of days before they said he was missing.  I'm sure the attorney advised him/them of his options. I'm not an attorney, but can an attorney advise someone who has declared their guilt to leave the country, plea insanity, or disappear??  There is client/attorney privilege, but still, doesn't ethics come into play?

Offline Smokin Joe

Obviously the relationship between the two was not a healthy one. He hasn't been questioned about her death nor accused, so right now he is presumed innocent. 

Her death was determined to be a homicide, so there isn't much chance that someone else killed her though. His parents retained an attorney and it was a couple of days before they said he was missing.  I'm sure the attorney advised him/them of his options. I'm not an attorney, but can an attorney advise someone who has declared their guilt to leave the country, plea insanity, or disappear??  There is client/attorney privilege, but still, doesn't ethics come into play?
There doesn't have to be much chance. He does not have to prove innocence, just provide a defense that raises reasonable doubt as to his guilt (as in could someone else have killed her)--in theory, anyway.
Without credible forensic or physical evidence to indicate he is the only possible guilty party, high level conviction is unlikely, even with the publicity and his actions.

His actions can be explained away as "Look what happened to that cop in Minnesota" "The media already convicted me, but I'm innocent and don't want to go to prison for something I didn't do."

But as for an attorney advising him to flee, or helping do that, now that he is charged with credit/debit card fraud (a felony?), to do so would imperil the attorney's license at the very least, and possible bring charges down on the attorney for aiding and abetting felony fleeing, itself likely a felony.

Advice to plead insanity is just a defense lawyer being a defense lawyer, setting up a case to get his client off.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 12:22:02 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Online libertybele

There doesn't have to be much chance. He does not have to prove innocence, just provide a defense that raises reasonable doubt as to his guilt (as in could someone else have killed her)--in theory, anyway.
Without credible forensic or physical evidence to indicate he is the only possible guilty party, high level conviction is unlikely, even with the publicity and his actions.

His actions can be explained away as "Look what happened to that cop in Minnesota" "The media already convicted me, but I'm innocent and don't want to go to prison for something I didn't do."

But as for an attorney advising him to flee, or helping do that, now that he is charged with credit/debit card fraud (a felony?), to do so would imperil the attorney's license at the very least, and possible bring charges down on the attorney for aiding and abetting felony fleeing, itself likely a felony.

Advice to plead insanity is just a defense lawyer being a defense lawyer, setting up a case to get his client off.

As far as I know they have kept the autopsy results quiet. I agree, it may be difficult to prove without any doubt that he was the one who killed her  .... he could always say that he left her after they argued and went back home and say that he did not kill her, that he eluded the police because of the credit card fraud and it may be possible that he could walk.  Being boyfriend and girlfriend, she is obviously bound to have his DNA on her.  If her body was ravaged by animals, it may be very difficult to prove his guilt.

Offline Smokin Joe

As far as I know they have kept the autopsy results quiet. I agree, it may be difficult to prove without any doubt that he was the one who killed her  .... he could always say that he left her after they argued and went back home and say that he did not kill her, that he eluded the police because of the credit card fraud and it may be possible that he could walk.  Being boyfriend and girlfriend, she is obviously bound to have his DNA on her.  If her body was ravaged by animals, it may be very difficult to prove his guilt.
You hit the nail on the head.

Forensics should be able to show:
Cause of death, depending on decomposition and damage.
Angle and direction of any wounds present, provided animal damage does not mask that.
Penetrating wounds could indicate the height or relative position of an attacker.
Defensive wounds, and even offensive ones.
If the animal damage was post mortem, or occurred while she was still alive.

DNA (if any) under her fingernails might provide Brady material if from a third party. While that would be inconvenient for the prosecution, it might indicate that he left her and she encountered another party who killed her. (Pretty blonde hitchhiker picked up by evil 'benefactor' is an old story, and the food for horror movie plots.)

Forensics might establish that he tried to conceal the body, or moved it. (lividity not matching the position of the body) although the case could be made that vigorous animal activity might have altered that posture, provided that forensics indicated the corpse being disturbed by animals large enough to do so, or that she was killed on site and left there.

And possibly, might indicate his presence at that scene.

We also don't know exactly how much the police have been able to obtain in terms of testimony which would put him at the murder scene/disposal site, and that could be the damning factor.  It is likely, although not guaranteed, that she would have left the site where he dropped her off if that happened, seeking aid in getting home, or, at the very least, food, water, and shelter.

C S Lewis

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Brian Laundrie search: Sister Cassie blasts parents second time over brother's whereabouts

Laundrie’s sister implores parents to 'come clean' on national TV after slamming family lawyer Monday night

https://www.foxnews.com/us/brian-laundrie-manhunt-cassie-laundrie-parents
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Gabby Petito update: FBI’s decision to hold victim’s remains, cause of death ‘very unusual,’ Dr. Baden says
Manhunt for Brian Laundrie has stretched for weeks
By Stephanie Pagones | Fox News

https://www.foxnews.com/us/gabby-petito-fbi-autopsy-remains-cause-death-dr-michael-baden

Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Brian Laundrie's lawyer says he flew home to Florida 'to empty a storage unit' five days after he and Gabby Petito got into a physical fight in Utah - before rejoining his fiancee just two days before her final phone call

Attorney Steve Bertolino claimed Laundrie, 23, took a commercial flight from Salt Lake City, Utah to Tampa, Florida, on August 17
    He returned five days later on August 23 'to rejoin Gabby' on their trip
    Bertolino said the purpose of the fleeting visit was to pick up items and close the unit because the couple were thinking of 'extending the road trip'
    The reported flight out of Utah came five days after police in Moab, Utah, were called to a report of a man slapping a woman on August 12
    Bodycam footage shows Petito telling cops Laundrie hit and cut her 'with his nail'
    Laundrie's August 23 return came just days before Petito was last seen alive
    On August 25, she made her last phone call to her mom back in New York
    Witnesses say they saw 'an incident' with the couple in a restaurant on August 27
    It is not yet clear when Petito died but her body was found September 19

By Rachel Sharp For Dailymail.com

Published: 15:21 EDT, 5 October 2021 | Updated: 15:21 EDT, 5 October 2021

more
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10062287/Brian-Laundrie-flew-Florida-storage-unit-five-days-fight-Gabby-Petito.html?ito=social-twitter_dailymailus
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Brian Laundrie manhunt: Gabby Petito's parents say fugitive fiancé still alive, recall learning tragic news
Gabby Petito's parents describe learning of the discovery of their daughter's remains in heart-wrenching detail
By Stephanie Pagones | Fox News

NORTH PORT, Fla. – The parents of Gabby Petito described in heartbreaking detail the moments when they heard the news that their 22-year-old daughter’s remains were believed to have been found in Wyoming after she had been missing for weeks, and say they believe her fiancé, Brian Laundrie, is still alive.

Joe Petito and Nichole Schmidt, Gabby’s mother and father, and her nearly lifelong step-parents, Tara Petito and Jim Schmidt, sat down for an interview with Dr. Phil McGraw that aired Tuesday on his self-named show. The approximately 30-minute interview covered topics ranging from Nichole Schmidt’s early inkling that her daughter was not okay; the text messages Gabby’s parents sent to Laundrie's parents; and their belief that he is hiding out.

Nearly all of the four parents were spread out throughout the country when the FBI told them on Sept. 19 that they "had some information that they wanted to share," Jim Schmidt recalled.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/us/brian-laundrie-manhunt-gabby-petitos-parents-death-fugitive-fiance
Support the USO

Online libertybele

Brian Laundrie's lawyer says he flew home to Florida 'to empty a storage unit' five days after he and Gabby Petito got into a physical fight in Utah - before rejoining his fiancee just two days before her final phone call

Attorney Steve Bertolino claimed Laundrie, 23, took a commercial flight from Salt Lake City, Utah to Tampa, Florida, on August 17
    He returned five days later on August 23 'to rejoin Gabby' on their trip
    Bertolino said the purpose of the fleeting visit was to pick up items and close the unit because the couple were thinking of 'extending the road trip'
    The reported flight out of Utah came five days after police in Moab, Utah, were called to a report of a man slapping a woman on August 12
    Bodycam footage shows Petito telling cops Laundrie hit and cut her 'with his nail'
    Laundrie's August 23 return came just days before Petito was last seen alive
    On August 25, she made her last phone call to her mom back in New York
    Witnesses say they saw 'an incident' with the couple in a restaurant on August 27
    It is not yet clear when Petito died but her body was found September 19

By Rachel Sharp For Dailymail.com

Published: 15:21 EDT, 5 October 2021 | Updated: 15:21 EDT, 5 October 2021

more
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10062287/Brian-Laundrie-flew-Florida-storage-unit-five-days-fight-Gabby-Petito.html?ito=social-twitter_dailymailus

The dates keep changing slightly, but the time line obviously is very important, especially once Laundrie is caught if he denies he killed her.

Online libertybele

Gabby Petito autopsy: Wyoming coroner to give update Tuesday

Teton County, Wyoming, coroner Brent Blue on Tuesday will hold a virtual press conference regarding the final autopsy report for deceased Gabby Petito, officials said Monday.

The FBI on Sept. 19 discovered Petito's remains at a dispersed campground in the Bridger-Teton National Forest. Blue later identified the remains and ruled Petito's death a homicide in his preliminary autopsy report.

The press conference will be held at 12:30 MT and is limited to members of the press, according to a Teton County spokesperson.

The final autopsy report will likely include Petito's time and cause of death, which may help investigators determine who killed her............

https://www.foxnews.com/us/gabby-petito-autopsy-wyoming-coroner-hold-press-conference-tuesday

Offline rustynail

This 'press conference' is hard to follow.  Really poorly done.  She was strangled.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
BREAKING NEWS: Gabby Petito died of strangulation

Press conference to be held today at 2:30 p.m. ET.

Covered by: Fox News, Greg Norman and David Aaro

https://www.foxnews.com/live-news/gabby-petito-private-investigator-asphyxiation-laundrie-death
Support the USO

Offline Smokin Joe

This 'press conference' is hard to follow.  Really poorly done.  She was strangled.
Manual or ligature?

C S Lewis

Offline rustynail

The Teton County Coroner Dr Brent Blue found Ms Petito died by “manual strangulation/throttling” in a written autopsy ruling released on Tuesday afternoon

Offline Smokin Joe

The Teton County Coroner Dr Brent Blue found Ms Petito died by “manual strangulation/throttling” in a written autopsy ruling released on Tuesday afternoon
More a crime of passion than premeditation, then, most likely.
That's the sort of thing that might come out of a spat.

Take couple of mercurial and passionate personalities, add a long time on the road (even marriage isn't such tight quarters)--which, for all its wonders, may well make a person cranky, and they may well get on each other's nerves.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 10:22:36 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Online libertybele

More a crime of passion than premeditation, then, most likely.
That's the sort of thing that might come out of a spat.

Spur of the moment anger as was witnessed in Utah. Interesting that they police are still not saying that Laundrie is not a person of interest.

What has been stated is that proving who strangled her is going to be difficult to prove because of the decomposition of the body unless they get a confession.

Offline Smokin Joe

Spur of the moment anger as was witnessed in Utah. Interesting that they police are still not saying that Laundrie is not a person of interest.

What has been stated is that proving who strangled her is going to be difficult to prove because of the decomposition of the body unless they get a confession.
That may well be why those charges are yet to be proferred. It would be difficult to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he strangled her (some one did, but prove he was the one).

Manual strangulation is the sort of thing that would fall under a "crime of passion" rather than premeditation, even if they could prove he did.

Unless they have his DNA under her fingernails or in her teeth, and then while a case could be made for her acquiring that defensively, it could be the result of passionate lovemaking, too (a defense, a doubt).

(never liked 'biters', myself)

So, it is going to be hard to get an impartial jury to convict unless they've got something more.

C S Lewis