7 (24.1%)
75 watt
10 (34.5%)
100 watt
10 (34.5%)
250 watt utility bulb
1 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: The perfect Incandescent bulb  (Read 2114 times)

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
The perfect Incandescent bulb
« on: September 19, 2021, 05:48:25 pm »
A glowing internal hot-spot light source in the form of an ovalesque-shaped beauty.  But with Gov overreach, they killed the bulb.  What watt was your favorite.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: The perfect Incandescent bulb
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 07:48:20 pm »
A glowing internal hot-spot light source in the form of an ovalesque-shaped beauty.  But with Gov overreach, they killed the bulb.  What watt was your favorite.

60 and 75, and they are still available.  Upton only succeeded in killing off the last USA manufacturer of Incandescent Light Bulbs.  I stocked up on 100W when they were easy to get.

There are applications that favor LEDs, and others that favor ILBs.  I really like the "vintage" style LEDs they now make, where the diodes are small enough to simulate filaments.  They have that warm color I like.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 07:49:14 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 08:01:25 pm »
75w soft white is a winner.  Not to bright to read by and still enough light to illuminate a cozy space.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 08:41:15 pm »

LOLWhut?

They ain't gone... My place is still 100% incandescent...  :shrug:

Might not find em in wallyworld, but they are still readily available in local hardware and big box construction stores.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2021, 08:43:49 pm »
Considering the company on this thread, maybe I should not mention the 3-way... it might be misconstrued  :laugh:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2021, 11:31:36 pm »
I bought hospitality grade bulbs in bulk. We don't use the lights much except in winter, and the little extra heat is welcome, not wasted.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 12:01:32 am »
Perfect incandescent bulb? There is only one and its been burning for 120 years.

https://www.centennialbulb.org/

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2021, 12:28:54 am »
I have to say I prefer LED now that they're ubiquitous. During the summer they generated so much heat, and they went out so often.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2021, 12:33:30 am »
I have to say I prefer LED now that they're ubiquitous. During the summer they generated so much heat, and they went out so often.
Well, that's why I bought the hospitality grade bulbs, they have more robust filaments and those are better supported in the bulb. In summer, though, we have 16 hours of daylight at the peak  and seldom use lights except in closets and the like. In winter, the same can be said of darkness--16 hours a day at the depths of winter. In winter, here in North Dakota, no heat is "wasted".
I like the warm glow of an incandescent better, too.
It just goes to show that one size does not fit all.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

• Technical
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2021, 12:37:11 am »
Well, that's why I bought the hospitality grade bulbs, they have more robust filaments and those are better supported in the bulb. In summer, though, we have 16 hours of daylight at the peak  and seldom use lights except in closets and the like. In winter, the same can be said of darkness--16 hours a day at the depths of winter. In winter, here in North Dakota, no heat is "wasted".
I like the warm glow of an incandescent better, too.
It just goes to show that one size does not fit all.

It's fine in winter I guess, but a pellet/wood stove goes a lot farther in giving off plenty of heat.

But my understanding that in ND it's quite hot in the summer so my point still stands. They make "yellow" LEDs and frankly they're hard to tell the difference between them and incandescents.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2021, 12:59:57 am »
It's fine in winter I guess, but a pellet/wood stove goes a lot farther in giving off plenty of heat.

But my understanding that in ND it's quite hot in the summer so my point still stands. They make "yellow" LEDs and frankly they're hard to tell the difference between them and incandescents.
Back to latitude. In summer here, we have 16 hours of daylight. Try getting the kids to bed when it's still light out at ten PM. Don't much need artificial lighting then.

C S Lewis

Online Wingnut

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2021, 01:17:53 am »
You can't beat a good old 100w bulb to keep your chicken coup or green house warm in the cold of winter.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2021, 01:38:16 am »
You can't beat a good old 100w bulb to keep your chicken coup or green house warm in the cold of winter.
People here have also used them to keep pipes from freezing, and I have seen trouble lights used as engine heaters (not the best option, but better than nothing).

C S Lewis

Online Wingnut

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2021, 01:43:54 am »
People here have also used them to keep pipes from freezing, and I have seen trouble lights used as engine heaters (not the best option, but better than nothing).

I forgot about the engine warmer trick!   888high58888

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2021, 03:10:36 am »

Right up until the fire.   ****slapping
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2021, 03:23:06 am »

Yeah, not under the house it don't. A set of six 100w bulbs in industrial fixtures is enough heat to guarantee no frozen pipes... That string of lights goes on as soon as it is below zero, as does the 100w bulb in the well house. cheap insurance down to -30

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2021, 03:26:30 am »
Back to latitude. In summer here, we have 16 hours of daylight. Try getting the kids to bed when it's still light out at ten PM. Don't much need artificial lighting then.

That's right. I hardly use the lights in the summer. Cooking dinner outside on the fire at 10pm, and probably going to be out a half hour past dark (watching the UFOs).

Online Wingnut

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2021, 03:26:51 am »
Have you ever been in a chicken coup?  Even as a Teke?  :silly:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2021, 03:29:24 am »

Build a man a fire and he is warm for an hour..
Set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Online Wingnut

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2021, 03:31:34 am »

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2021, 03:42:40 am »
All I know is whoever invented these "3 actual year" CFL's that were supposed to last 20 is hanging by his balls.

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

• Technical
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2021, 04:15:06 am »
Yeah, not under the house it don't. A set of six 100w bulbs in industrial fixtures is enough heat to guarantee no frozen pipes... That string of lights goes on as soon as it is below zero, as does the 100w bulb in the well house. cheap insurance down to -30

I guess if you have a crawl space. I've always had finished basements. Then I use baseboard electric or pellet stoves.

BassWrangler

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2021, 05:16:09 am »
All I know is whoever invented these "3 actual year" CFL's that were supposed to last 20 is hanging by his balls.

Do they still sell those things? I thought LED lighting made those obsolete.

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2021, 08:22:30 pm »
I see thus far I'm the only Briefer to favor 40 watts.  Of course, my wife says I that I read in the dark.  (Probably has something to do with Sami ancestors -- I take after my black-haired Norwegian grandmother -- being adapted to seeing by star- and fire-light in the Arctic winter.)
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2021, 08:54:54 pm »
Do they still sell those things? I thought LED lighting made those obsolete.

I have a bad habit of stocking up when things go on sale.   :cool:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.