Author Topic: The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time Rolling Stone  (Read 2044 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time Rolling Stone
« on: September 17, 2021, 05:01:20 pm »
 The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time
By Rolling Stone

For the first time in 17 years, we’ve completely remade our list of the best songs ever. More than 250 artists, writers, and industry figures helped us choose a brand-new list full of historic favorites, world-changing anthems, and new classics

In 2004, Rolling Stone published its list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. It’s one of the most widely read stories in our history, viewed hundreds of millions of times on this site. But a lot has changed since 2004; back then the iPod was relatively new, and Billie Eilish was three years old. So we’ve decided to give the list a total reboot. To create the new version of the RS 500 we convened a poll of more than 250 artists, musicians, and producers — from Angelique Kidjo to Zedd, Sam Smith to Megan Thee Stallion, M. Ward to Bill Ward — as well as figures from the music industry and leading critics and journalists. They each sent in a ranked list of their top 50 songs, and we tabulated the results.

Nearly 4,000 songs received votes. Where the 2004 version of the list was dominated by early rock and soul, the new edition contains more hip-hop, modern country, indie rock, Latin pop, reggae, and R&B. More than half the songs here — 254 in all — weren’t present on the old list, including a third of the Top 100. The result is a more expansive, inclusive vision of pop, music that keeps rewriting its history with every beat.

list at link
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/best-songs-of-all-time-1224767/kanye-west-stronger-1224837/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Hoodat

Re: The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time Rolling Stone
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2021, 10:14:00 pm »
That list is horrible.  Not a single Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin song in the top 50.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Absalom

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 10:39:33 pm »
The most o/s arias/songs ever written were composed by the likes of Mozart.
The Rolling Stones are laughable.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2021, 11:01:39 pm »
The most o/s arias/songs ever written were composed by the likes of Mozart.
The Rolling Stones are laughable.

@Absalom

Uhhhh,you DO understand the Mozart songs have been "out there" several centuries longer than the songs of today,right?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2021, 11:02:31 pm »
That list is horrible.  Not a single Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin song in the top 50.

@Hoodat

If Pink Floyd isn't on the list at all,never mind in the top ten,the list is useless for anything other than starting a fire.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2021, 11:07:41 pm »
I agree with number 1 and number 3,but the rest is pretty much feces. The rap crap doesn't even rise to that level.

These people include talentless hacks like rap "artists" and ignore Pink Floyd?

Whoever is responsible for that needs to be tracked down and severely beaten.

Offline DB

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2021, 11:16:16 pm »
Ya, but that crap gets clicks...

Offline libertybele

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2021, 11:23:21 pm »
500?  I lost interest after about the first 25.  :shrug:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2021, 11:30:57 pm »
500?  I lost interest after about the first 25.  :shrug:

@libertybele

I lost interest when I saw the number 2 song. I only saw the GREAT Sam Cooke song because it was next.

ANYBODY that would vote for the noise pollution of number 2 over Sam Cooke should be severely beaten.

ANYBODY that thinks ANY hip hop/rap "song" that has ever been written or that WILL be written in the future that can stand up to this is a freaking brain-damaged retard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEBlaMOmKV4

« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 11:33:52 pm by sneakypete »

Offline Absalom

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2021, 12:51:59 am »
@Absalom
Uhhhh,you DO understand the Mozart songs have been "out there" several centuries longer than the songs of today,right?
---------------------------------------
Er..........yes I do, just as:
* Sophocles Plays preceded Shakespeare by 17 centuries and
* Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel Ceiling preceded Andy Warhol.
But thanks for the time notification.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 12:57:48 am by Absalom »

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2021, 12:59:34 am »
This is the Woke 500 Greatest Songs of All Time list.

They're just in there because of Black and Brown people and stuff.
The Republic is lost.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2021, 01:04:03 am »
Rolling Stone best song lists are like Time Mag People of the Year Lists.  No One GAF.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2021, 01:10:00 am »
Rolling Stone best song lists are like Time Mag People of the Year Lists.  No One GAF.

TBR needs to make our own list (certainly not 500).  Maybe a @corbe poll?

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2021, 01:11:38 am »
Here's the second greatest song of all time:

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2021, 01:12:12 am »
TBR needs to make our own list (certainly not 500).  Maybe a @corbe poll?

corbe has terrible taste when it comes to  music. 

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2021, 01:16:40 am »
corbe has terrible taste when it comes to  music.

That's why we need to poll members.  But a regular poll won't do because there are too many songs to choose from.  The only way to do it is to have members submit their top ten, and then award points based on ranking (i.e. #1 gets 10 points, #2 gets 9, and so on.  Kind of like the Pookie poll at year's end.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline libertybele

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2021, 01:18:32 am »
That's why we need to poll members.  But a regular poll won't do because there are too many songs to choose from.  The only way to do it is to have members submit their top ten, and then award points based on ranking (i.e. #1 gets 10 points, #2 gets 9, and so on.  Kind of like the Pookie poll at year's end.

Sounds like a plan.

Online Wingnut

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2021, 01:18:43 am »

Like Pookie does with his best of Cartoons.  It might work.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2021, 01:22:01 am »
Wanna hear a song that resonates in your head & heart???
Listen to Les Marseilles!

« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 01:26:45 am by Absalom »

Offline corbe

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2021, 01:29:34 am »

That sounds like a lot of work and will obviously cut into my quality Drinking time.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Wingnut

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2021, 01:32:20 am »
   That sounds like a lot of work and will obviously cut into my quality Drinking time.

Maybe Pookie can pick up your slack.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2021, 01:34:26 am »
Wanna hear a song that resonates in your head & heart???
Listen to Les Marseilles!

Definitely not.  I prefer the "Star Spangled Banner"  :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DADmZdbQ9x8

Offline libertybele

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2021, 01:36:02 am »

Maybe smoke a bowl instead.  :whistle:

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2021, 01:59:10 am »

You can't multi-task?

« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 02:03:40 am by Hoodat »

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2021, 02:11:16 am »
Lol, if I was to do a top 10 list it would center on the 80s mainly and be voted down quicker than I could mention our voting pool is 10 or more years older than me (on average). I get better results with the hippy dippy Rolling Stone article (at least my era is represented even if it with artists like Michael Jackson).
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....