Author Topic: What is the ‘Women of Color Study Bible’?  (Read 534 times)

Online mountaineer

What is the ‘Women of Color Study Bible’?
« on: April 29, 2024, 02:30:56 pm »
Protestia
April 29, 2024
We recently heard a woke DEI consultant and ELCA synod leader reveal that her favorite bible is The Women of Color Study Bible, and being a cataloguer of all sorts of weird and wonky bibles*, we had to investigate, especially given some of the testimonials about it. ... It’s a shocking endorsement, and makes one wonder what unrelatable bible she used before she discovered this one. Published by Urban Spirit, a company that reimagines the entire biblical corpus as composed of black folk, this particular version is a KJV edition themed for particular demographic: women of color, and is the updated and expanded second 2nd edition, with all the original articles and features found in 1st.  ...

Quotes scattered throughout the text offer “Wisdom of African American Women,” some of them not even Christian, and the 66 books have unique introductions and outlines detailing how many women and women of color are in each book, along with a snippet of the role women of color played in the chapters. ...

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: What is the ‘Women of Color Study Bible’?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2024, 04:48:03 pm »
Netflix meets the Bible?

You know why this doesn't happen with the Koran? Because it is death to change even one word.
(It's why they still have the whole 7th century thing going).
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 04:49:34 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline rustynail

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2024, 04:54:24 pm »
                                                               Pearls before swine?

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2024, 07:58:37 pm »
I suspect it's the usual case of man making God in his (man's) image. Yes, I know it's women, but you get my meaning.

Online The_Reader_David

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2024, 02:04:26 am »
Well, seeing that pretty much all the women mentioned in the Bible until St. Paul starts his missionary journeys and wins gentile converts in Asia Minor and Europe were Semitic and thus arguably "women of color", all one has to do is point this out and attend to the women. 

Personally, I'm quite fond of the two non-Jewish women whose conversations with Christ are recorded in the Gospels:  the Canaanite woman with her reply "Yes, Lord, but even the little dogs eat the crumb that fall from their masters' tables," and St. Photini (we Orthodox Christians remember the name of the Samaritan woman who met Jesus at the well -- she became a missionary in later life, and she and her familiy died as martyrs in the persecution under Nero).
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2024, 12:38:16 pm »
Yes, David, those two were women of great faith.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2024, 12:42:12 pm »
Interestingly enough, my Bible says, "For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.”
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra