Author Topic: TERRAFORMING: Carbon-sucking machine switched on in Iceland, will remove 4,000 tons of CO2 from the  (Read 700 times)

rangerrebew

TERRAFORMING: Carbon-sucking machine switched on in Iceland, will remove 4,000 tons of CO2 from the atmosphere each year, harming rainforests and food crops

09/13/2021 / By Mary Villareal

The world’s biggest carbon-sucking machine, called Orca, is a $15 million device that can capture 4,000 tons of CO2 per year and is billed to reverse climate change (but actually harms rainforests and food crops by reducing carbon dioxide in the atmosphere).

The “direct air capture” (DAC) machine was created by Zurich-based company Climeworks and it was launched at the Hellisheiði Power Station in Iceland on Wednesday.

Orca uses a filter to extract and permanently remove CO2 from surrounding air. It is estimated to capture 4,000 metric tons of carbon dioxide per year — equivalent to the annual emissions from 790 cars.

While the feat is notable, this total is a mere fraction of global CO2 emissions, which totaled 34.7 billion tons in the last year, as per the International Energy Agency.

https://www.climate.news/2021-09-13-carbon-sucking-machine-switched-on-in-iceland.html

Offline Kamaji

It is estimated to capture 4,000 metric tons of carbon dioxide per year — equivalent to the annual emissions from 790 cars

That is laughable, by anyone's standards.

For comparison' sake, NYC residents currently own approximately 2 million cars.  Source (2017 registrations): https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2018/10/03/car-ownership-continues-to-rise-under-mayor-de-blasio/

So, assuming that the figure was exactly 2 million, turning something like this on in NYC would still leave the emissions from 1,999,210 cars floating around in NYC.  That's a reduction of 0.0395%.

Alternatively, in order to fully capture the emissions from all 2 million cars, 2,532 of these machines would be needed, at a total cost of about $38 billion.  And that's before the cost of acquiring the real estate needed to site all of those machines.

So, that's a pretty little toy the Icelanders have, but it's not a solution to anything other than those who need a new virtue-signaling device.

Offline Idiot

For comparison' sake, NYC residents currently own approximately 2 million cars.  Source (2017 registrations): https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2018/10/03/car-ownership-continues-to-rise-under-mayor-de-blasio/

So, assuming that the figure was exactly 2 million, turning something like this on in NYC would still leave the emissions from 1,999,210 cars floating around in NYC.  That's a reduction of 0.0395%.

Alternatively, in order to fully capture the emissions from all 2 million cars, 2,532 of these machines would be needed, at a total cost of about $38 billion.  And that's before the cost of acquiring the real estate needed to site all of those machines.

So, that's a pretty little toy the Icelanders have, but it's not a solution to anything other than those who need a new virtue-signaling device.
But they feel better about themselves....that's what really matters....lol.

Offline EdinVA

And how much CO2 was generated in the manufacturing of the steel and the power to run this miracle machine?????

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

You haven't mentioned the carbon footprint for building, transporting, operating, and decommissioning these machines, either.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

You haven't mentioned the carbon footprint for building, transporting, operating, and decommissioning these machines, either.

Very true; that simply makes the case even more appalling.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Kamaji complained:
"That is laughable, by anyone's standards..."

Don't you understand?
At least they're "doing something" about CO2...   ;--)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Just plant a few more trees.

A lot cheaper
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Kamaji complained:
"That is laughable, by anyone's standards..."

Don't you understand?
At least they're "doing something" about CO2...   ;--)

Don't you understand that plants LOVE CO2 and provide us more oxygen after consuming it.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DefiantMassRINO

What is the carbon footprint of Orca?  What fuel source powers Orca?

I know my basement dehumidifier is a electricity hog.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline andy58-in-nh

Our oceans absorb more CO2 than that, through plankton and algae photosynthesis and molecular diffusion, in about 12 hours. Plants and trees absorb a great deal more. Now, consider that the total CO2 content in the atmosphere is 0.38%, and that human CO2 content in the air is only 0.0016 percent of total atmospheric volume. And this machine is supposed to remove 4,000 metric tons of CO2 per year - or 913 lbs. per hour from the air from a single location? Really?
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
They don't say what they'll do with the dross.  I'll bet that, in true EU bureaucratic fashion, they'll burn it.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline The_Reader_David

Just plant a few more trees.

A lot cheaper

And it works, unless you plant the trees in California, in which case, sooner or later your "carbon sink" will burn in a wildfire.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Bigun wrote:
"Don't you understand that plants LOVE CO2 and provide us more oxygen after consuming it."

Hehe, I guess you missed the "wink" at the end of my post...

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Bigun wrote:
"Don't you understand that plants LOVE CO2 and provide us more oxygen after consuming it."

Hehe, I guess you missed the "wink" at the end of my post...

Yeah! I guess I did.   888high58888

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

I know nothing about the technology these people are using for their stupid little CO2 vacuum cleaner.  One point though, if it is successful how is it going to impact the plants, trees proximal to their little gadget?  You know...  that little photosynthesis thingy,,,   :silly:

I seriously doubt this thing will do shit, and will be the equivalant of a gnat's wing beat impacting the path of a hurricane.  The real winners here are the schiesters who sold them the equivalant of  human Rube Goldberg money sucking  device.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 04:50:06 am by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Smokin Joe

And it works, unless you plant the trees in California, in which case, sooner or later your "carbon sink" will burn in a wildfire.
That's just fine by the people who howl at the thought of flaring excess natural gas at our wells, but turn our skies gray with smoke for weeks out of the year. (I'm sure there are folks there who aren't happy at all their stuff burning up, either.)

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

I know nothing about the technology these people are using for their stupid little CO2 vacuum cleaner.  One point though, if it is successful how is it going to impact the plants, trees proximal to their little gadget?  You know...  that little photosynthesis thingy,,,   :silly:

I seriously doubt this thing will do shit, and will be the equivalant of a gnat's wing beat impacting the path of a hurricane.  The real winners here are the schiesters who sold them the equivalant of  human Rube Goldberg money sucking  device.
What you are missing is the crux of the Leftist mindset. If it doesn't work, they either need more of them (they just haven't tried hard enough) or they will find a way to blame Trump.

C S Lewis

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Let's imagine for a second that the mainstream AGW theory is correct, and we have to remove a lot of CO2 out of the atmosphere. IMO building these machines is a lot more efficient than enabling government to regulate and tax the shit out of us.

I even read that they developed a process to create synthetic coal out of carbon removed from the atmosphere. No, it won't violate the laws of thermodynamics, but it would help us recoup some of the losses involved with these machines.

Offline Kamaji

Let's imagine for a second that the mainstream AGW theory is correct, and we have to remove a lot of CO2 out of the atmosphere. IMO building these machines is a lot more efficient than enabling government to regulate and tax the shit out of us.

I even read that they developed a process to create synthetic coal out of carbon removed from the atmosphere. No, it won't violate the laws of thermodynamics, but it would help us recoup some of the losses involved with these machines.

Perhaps, but would this particular machine even be capable of fulfilling such a role?  Based on the claimed amount this one can remove per year, the numbers needed to accomplish that stated hypothetical goal would probably be practically impossible, or else create so much of their own additional costs as to leave everything worse off rather than better off.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Perhaps, but would this particular machine even be capable of fulfilling such a role?  Based on the claimed amount this one can remove per year, the numbers needed to accomplish that stated hypothetical goal would probably be practically impossible, or else create so much of their own additional costs as to leave everything worse off rather than better off.

Lots of prehistoric data that during heightened Volcanic activity estimated CO2 was much more than today. So much of their claims have been disputed and proven wrong, but you will never get career Mets or Climatologist to push the issue, because they need their jobs. 

We need to never forget that the Enviro-whacko faction's function is nothing more than a long term plan for wealth redistribution. Having a stupid little wench like Greta as a spokeskid, gives you an idea of this movement's credibility.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 01:46:02 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTSWdHY9Ny4
To be truly sucky, that should be a Biden Butler instead of Mega Maid  :pondering: or possibly have a AOC head?