Author Topic: Study finds astronaut blood mixed with Mars soil makes ultra-hard concrete  (Read 550 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Slash Gear by Brittany A. Roston - Sep 13, 2021

Combining the Martian dust with compounds from blood and sweat resulted in a material stronger than the typical concrete used on Earth, according to the study. The researchers call their material ‘AstroCrete,’ noting that of the materials created, the best-performing sample had a compressive strength of 40 Megapascals; that’s considerably higher than ordinary concrete’s 20 – 32MPa strength.

A six-person crew on Mars could contribute the biological materials needed to produce around 1,100lbs of the AstroCrete material in two years, the study estimates. The amount of the Martian concrete produced would expand with each new crew member added to a long-term mission, producing greater amounts of concrete for building expansions.

The concrete recipe may prove more useful than other suggested building methods for future Mars missions, including ones that involve 3D printing systems or other types of regolith-based building materials. The idea of mixing blood with soil to make concrete isn’t new — ancient civilizations used animal blood as a binder in their mortars, for example.

More: https://www.slashgear.com/study-finds-astronaut-blood-mixed-with-mars-soil-makes-ultra-hard-concrete-13690672/

Offline roamer_1

Re: Study finds astronaut blood mixed with Mars soil makes ultra-hard concrete
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 05:20:04 am »
uh oh... this can't be good...

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 11:06:36 am »
So now we can ship the "surplus population" to Mars - where they'll contribute to society at long last!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 11:36:09 am »
uh oh... this can't be good...
Well, for once, I'm glad I'm not an astronaut. :shrug:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2021, 12:07:33 pm »
Soylent Red.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2021, 12:26:00 pm »
Soylent Red.

Another quaint sci-fi dystopia that went wide of the mark.  Here's the synopsis of the opening from wiki:

By the year 2022, the cumulative effects of overpopulation, pollution and an apparent climate catastrophe have caused severe worldwide shortages of food, water and housing. There are 40 million people in New York City alone, where only the city's elite can afford spacious apartments, clean water and natural food, at horrendously high prices. The homes of the elite usually include concubines who are referred to as "furniture" and serve the tenants as slaves.

Then again, with Bidet in the White House, you never know ... it's still only 2021.

Source:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soylent_Green

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2021, 12:55:05 pm »
Get the Vulcans and Andorians  to help. That way there will be green and blue bricks as well.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2021, 01:14:13 pm »

Another fine product from ...

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.