Author Topic: Breyer says term limits would 'make life easier for me'  (Read 327 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Breyer says term limits would 'make life easier for me'
« on: September 12, 2021, 03:18:42 pm »
Breyer says term limits would 'make life easier for me'
By Mychael Schnell - 09/12/21 10:36 AM EDT

Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer on Sunday said the implementation of term limits for justices on the bench would “make life easier for me,” as Democratic lawmakers are increasingly pushing the 83-year-old justice to step down and allow President Biden to install a liberal replacement.

During an appearance on “Fox News Sunday,” Breyer  expressed an openness to term limits, but warned that any should be set for “a very long time.”

“I think you could do that, it should be a very long term because you don't want the judge who's holding that term to start thinking about his next job,” Breyer said.

“But it would make life easier for me,” he added, cracking a smile.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk-shows/571877-breyer-says-term-limits-would-make-life-easier-for-me
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

Re: Breyer says term limits would 'make life easier for me'
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2021, 03:20:03 pm »
It should be an age limit, not a term limit.  With perhaps the ability to extend for a year or two to make sure that there isn't a loss of a significant number of justices all at once.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2021, 08:43:35 pm »
I agree with the concept "age limit".
Make it around 72-74 or so for federal judges and Supreme Court justices.

This MUST be in the form of a Constitutional amendment so that it cannot be challenged (in court, of course) as being "age discrimination". It will be "Constitutional" by virtue of the fact and reality that it's a Constitutional amendment, and that will be that.

Having said that, in order to assure its passage, include a clause that EXEMPTS ALL SITTING judges and justices, for a period of twenty years. That will permit many (if not most) judges/justices to serve [almost] as long as they wish.

We need a similar age limit for Congress and the presidency as well.
Make it, say, 70 for Congress (no one having attained that age will be eligible for election or re-election).

For the presidency, I would go even a bit lower. 67 ought to be "the cutoff" to be eligible for the first term.

Again, exempt all sitting officeholders for a period of twenty years.

Term limits will never, NEVER, EVER pass muster with Congress.
If we wish to "limit them", it must be through other vectors.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2021, 08:49:01 pm »
I agree with the concept "age limit".
Make it around 72-74 or so for federal judges and Supreme Court justices.

This MUST be in the form of a Constitutional amendment so that it cannot be challenged (in court, of course) as being "age discrimination". It will be "Constitutional" by virtue of the fact and reality that it's a Constitutional amendment, and that will be that.

Having said that, in order to assure its passage, include a clause that EXEMPTS ALL SITTING judges and justices, for a period of twenty years. That will permit many (if not most) judges/justices to serve [almost] as long as they wish.

We need a similar age limit for Congress and the presidency as well.
Make it, say, 70 for Congress (no one having attained that age will be eligible for election or re-election).

For the presidency, I would go even a bit lower. 67 ought to be "the cutoff" to be eligible for the first term.

Again, exempt all sitting officeholders for a period of twenty years.

Term limits will never, NEVER, EVER pass muster with Congress.
If we wish to "limit them", it must be through other vectors.

For Article III judges, it would have to be by constitutional amendment, because currently they have lifetime tenure, subject only to removal for bad behaviour.  In other words, a federal statute could not impose an age limit on Article III judges.