Author Topic: Harvard University will divest itself from fossil fuels  (Read 367 times)

Online mountaineer

Harvard University will divest itself from fossil fuels
« on: September 10, 2021, 11:45:43 pm »
Yay, virtue signaling.
Harvard University will divest itself from fossil fuels
Associated Press
Sept. 10, 2021

Harvard University will divest itself from holdings in fossil fuels, President Lawrence Bacow said Thursday.

Harvard Management Company, which oversees the university’s nearly $42 billion endowment, has already been reducing its exposure to fossil fuels and has no direct investments in companies that explore for or develop further reserves of fossil fuels, Bacow said in a message posted on the university’s website.

The university has legacy investments in a number of private equity funds with holdings in the fossil fuel industry. Those indirect investments constitute less than 2% of the endowment, according to Bacow. ...

“Given the need to decarbonize the economy and our responsibility as fiduciaries to make long-term investment decisions that support our teaching and research mission, we do not believe such investments are prudent," he wrote.

The decision follows years of protests from students who have pressed Harvard to divest from fossil fuel companies. ...
Rest of story
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Harvard University will divest itself from fossil fuels
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2021, 04:16:27 am »
Great! I can't think of a better place for shivering students.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2021, 05:11:16 am »
Yay, virtue signaling.Rest of story

Good..... Harvard can go F itself, and invest in some dot coms, and blow it in the next big correction.   Then they can spend that f'n foundation and endowment money till it dries up.

Oil, Gas, Petrochemicals?  3-8% divys on a product that despite envirowhacko misguided thinking, will be around forever?  I'll keep the checks rolling in.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 05:12:10 am by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2021, 10:58:00 am »
Why does a university have $42 billion in the bank?

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2021, 12:06:31 pm »

Money Laundering comes in many faces.....
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2021, 01:01:20 pm »

Courtesy of taxpayers, who continue to abide by the blatantly false lie that Harvard is a charitable nonprofit that should be exempt from tax. 

Given the benefits of compounding, and the 35% rate of tax Harvard would have been subject to but for that lie, most of that money effectively comes from us, the average US taxpayer. 

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2021, 09:44:06 pm »
Gets pretty chilly up in Cambridge in the winter.

What are they heating their buildings with?

Online mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2021, 09:48:08 pm »

They dry the dung that spews forth from the professors' mouths, and set it afire.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2021, 02:50:41 am »

Hard to say...With all the more recent electronic format material out there, it is unfortunate that the books most likely to be burned (for heat) are the ones they should actually read.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2021, 11:05:51 am »

Electricity, of course, which we all know comes free of charge from the magical mystical 'lectricity portal built into the walls - y'know, that little three-holed beauty:

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2021, 11:34:24 am »

The interest alone off of that is more than enough to pay the full tuition of every student enrolled.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-