Author Topic: Bank Account forced Browser Selection  (Read 1385 times)

Online Slide Rule

Bank Account forced Browser Selection
« on: September 09, 2021, 08:24:11 pm »

Bank Account forced Browser Selection

Have any of you been locked out of your bank account and requested to choose another browser

or have you been told what browsers you have to use?

Have any of you been locked out of your bank account and requested to choose another browser

or have you been told what browsers you have to use?

Had an interesting experience Tuesday and again today with my bank PNC.

I logged in Tuesday and was greeted by a mostly blank screen. It said to try another browser or call

the number. I checked and it was the same number I had on my phone. I called it and there was an

auto answer machine giving me three choices the last being a representative. I selected that. I think

I was on 15 minutes when I said screw this. Bank hours were over so, I tried another browser. I chose

Brave and loaded it up.

Tried to log on and was successful. I did what I wanted to do then logged off. Then I logged on with

my normal browser Vivaldi and had assess to everything. So whatever it was it was fixed. I unloaded

the temporary Brave browser.

Today I logged on again and saw the same mostly white screen with the same message. This time I

called the number and again there was no person, so I drove to the bank.

The summary is that PNC corporate has decided that they will be choosing browsers for me.

The choices are:

Internet Explorer,

Microsoft Edge,

Firefox,

Chrome, and

Safari.

The strategy corporate chose is to force me to choose until I land on the browser they want.

They did not send me a letter nor email or otherwise inform me. Nor did they say there was

a limited number of acceptable browsers of their choosing.

I told the branch manager, I had worked out a complaint about 6 months ago with her, that

it wasn't the most secure selection for me to allow others to choose what browser I use. She

said she would escalate by a customer trouble issue and I should expect to hear from them in

two days. Two days? Saturday or Monday.

I told her that the bank choosing my browser was a problem for me staying their customer.

I have another account with a Credit Union and can set up all the other items I need. I told
her that the bank choosing my browser was a problem for me staying their customer.

I have another account with a Credit Union and can set up all the other items I need. And I am
going to start this all tomorrow before their call.

Thanks,

@Slide Rule
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 08:25:41 pm by Slide Rule »
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Online Slide Rule

Re: Bank Account forced Browser Selection
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2021, 03:07:16 am »
Thanks anyway.

I know the founders of the Credit Union. I worked with them before the buyout. They know me quite well.
So, if I had difficulty there, I am sure I can work it out. Switching banks seems at this time my best option.

PNC sent me a voice mail. The woman identified herself and said my branch manager had escalated the issue
to them. She gave ma a call back number and her hours of availability. I had told my bank manager that I
would go back to a manual operation if necessary to avoid their selecting my browser.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 03:08:22 am by Slide Rule »

Recommended

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2021, 03:42:04 am »
The wife and kids tell me that their school work requires XX browser in order to work on classwork. The same excuse, they want a safe browser to do this and that. I use an security and privacy browser (Palemoon) that I dare say is far safer than the crap they recommend. Even Firefox has been pushing the boundary lately by making updates so often that good privacy add-ons can't keep up.

Facebook has put some crap in that messes with my browser, when I try to reply to something it wants to type backwards and will not advance. I have to manually type the first letter and skip forward to get the next letter to fill in correctly. It is something that is on FB's side, not the browser. Youtube tries this crap every so often too.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 03:45:36 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online Slide Rule

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 11:47:31 am »
The wife and kids tell me that their school work requires XX browser in order to work on classwork. The same excuse, they want a safe browser to do this and that. I use an security and privacy browser (Palemoon) that I dare say is far safer than the crap they recommend. Even Firefox has been pushing the boundary lately by making updates so often that good privacy add-ons can't keep up.

Facebook has put some crap in that messes with my browser, when I try to reply to something it wants to type backwards and will not advance. I have to manually type the first letter and skip forward to get the next letter to fill in correctly. It is something that is on FB's side, not the browser. Youtube tries this crap every so often too.

Thanks for your comments.

I couldn't imagine that in some way I was first but maybe the first to complain on a forum.
Their process is something from a cheap spy novel. I hate sneaky and those who self identify
as brilliant. Why not just send me something in the mail if there are actually security issues?

I suppose those browser duds selected by my bank are more of what we will see. From their
perspective cheaper to capture my ramblings in non bank issues. Or are they just collecting

some of my personal data to sell?

I will talk to the person at PNC assigned to speak with me.

First I will talk to my Credit Union to see if they have any comment.

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 12:28:18 pm by Slide Rule »

Recommended

Offline Drago

• "Life is a Journey"
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2021, 09:27:30 am »
Probably just banks looking out for their "less tech savvy" customers. All Browsers not created equal when it comes to security/privacy.

https://www.howtogeek.com/716771/did-you-know-browser-extensions-are-looking-at-your-bank-account/

https://restoreprivacy.com/browser/secure/

Online Slide Rule

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2021, 11:52:26 pm »
Probably just banks looking out for their "less tech savvy" customers. All Browsers not created equal when it comes to security/privacy.

https://www.howtogeek.com/716771/did-you-know-browser-extensions-are-looking-at-your-bank-account/

https://restoreprivacy.com/browser/secure/

That makes sense. Thanks for the links.

I will be deleting some/all of my extensions.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 12:51:09 am by Slide Rule »

Recommended

Online Slide Rule

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2021, 12:10:46 am »
Today was the day.

The PNC lady called from Pittsburgh today. It was a short and polite conversation. They have decided which browsers are ok. It is a corporate decision. Told her that was a deal breaker and I will probably be leaving.

I don't know what their concern was with the browser, she didn't know. But she sure thanked me up and down. I mentioned the means of communication was not business like without prior notice and just shutting access to my chosen browser. Again polite. She would pass that up the line.

Kind of talking to an especially polite person at the McDonald's window. I informed her that I would decide shortly.

The conversation took under 5 minutes.

I suppose corporate wishes to cut costs, and my account wasn't making them the huge profits they anticipated.

There is less than $2k in the account today. Historically it had averaged about $15k.

Recommended

Online Slide Rule

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2021, 12:14:45 am »
It took me about 10 minutes to drive to the Credit Union.

This took about half an hour and set up.
   Checking (earns interest),
   Check order (free)
   Internet Banking, and
   Debit Card.

Cheerful and helpful  lady.

They do have the ability to transfer all my payments. It is called Click and Switch.
So the time to set up all these transactions is minimal.

They do require that their transactions be to an account number, not an address.
So, if persons decline this, I will have to write a check and mail it. I expect this to
be 10 to 20%, so there will be postage considerations.

I declined a smart phone app.

So now I wait for the setup to play out I will then initiate Click and Switch.

They do have an interesting arrangement with check account numbers. That is
your check account number is not given out. They have two numbers for each
client of which one is internal and one external. That way my number is not known
by those receiving a check from me.

I know several accountants who established the Credit Union. They are bright guys
all. It is over a billion dollar enterprise now. Hope they are alive and kicking.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 12:50:11 am by Slide Rule »

Recommended

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2021, 12:29:53 am »
To be fair, corporate cannot promise every browser will work. They probably recommend the browsers they know work with their product, and which their webmaster assures will work. The browsers recommended are the standard fare, and it seems unreasonable to me to suppose the bank and its web designer guarantee their site works with every/any browser in every/any iteration.

Jussayin. Most sites design around those same browsers.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 12:30:51 am by roamer_1 »

Online Slide Rule

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2021, 12:44:52 am »
To be fair, corporate cannot promise every browser will work. They probably recommend the browsers they know work with their product, and which their webmaster assures will work. The browsers recommended are the standard fare, and it seems unreasonable to me to suppose the bank and its web designer guarantee their site works with every/any browser in every/any iteration.

Jussayin. Most sites design around those same browsers.

You may be right, but the browsers and all interlinked google. That is a no go for me.
I don't see Internet Explorer, Edge, Firefox, Chrome, or Safari are in my best interest.

I use Vivaldi version 3 3 2022 47. I had used Brave and it is acceptable, but having my bank
think the google connection is best, is a no go.

Vivaldi is  Chrome based, which has been modified and is open source. Open source is a plus.
I will see how this all works out.

I did review and purge extensions. About eight.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 12:47:55 am by Slide Rule »

Recommended

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2021, 01:03:44 am »

You may be right, but the browsers and all interlinked google. That is a no go for me.
I don't see Internet Explorer, Edge, Firefox, Chrome, or Safari are in my best interest.

I use Vivaldi version 3 3 2022 47. I had used Brave and it is acceptable, but having my bank
think the google connection is best, is a no go.

Vivaldi is  Chrome based, which has been modified and is open source. Open source is a plus.
I will see how this all works out.

I did review and purge extensions. About eight.

I hear you... But you will find it nearly impossible to avoid Google. Load up NoScript or Ghostery add-on if you can And understand that google scripting is on almost every site, regardless of your browser, and if you block it (which these add-ons are designed to do), the site will not function, as the Google script is required to get site navigation and such.

And anything based in Chrome, which is now anything not based in Firefox (excluding Apple, which I will always do), certainly would not be my choice if trying to avoid Google, open source or not.

Jussayin.

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2021, 12:11:03 pm »
Never had it with a bank, or any other consumer-facing commercial enterprise.  However, I do billing and other back office work for my wife's clinical psychology practice, and a lot of State of Kansas websites related to Medicaid won't work on anything other than Internet Explorer, while Tricare West's billing software will glitch on Mac browsers other than Safari.

And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2021, 01:27:42 pm »
Some software, browsers, or plugins allow for modification of the "User-Agent" string.

Many sites evaluate the value of "User-Agent" for security or user experience.  Not all browsers behave the same nor render content the same.  Open standards, but proprietary implementations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_agent

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Headers/User-Agent

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Slide Rule

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2021, 09:01:31 pm »
I hear you... But you will find it nearly impossible to avoid Google. Load up NoScript or Ghostery add-on if you can And understand that google scripting is on almost every site, regardless of your browser, and if you block it (which these add-ons are designed to do), the site will not function, as the Google script is required to get site navigation and such.

And anything based in Chrome, which is now anything not based in Firefox (excluding Apple, which I will always do), certainly would not be my choice if trying to avoid Google, open source or not.

Jussayin.

Thanks

So since Vivaldi is open source based on Chrome, you would exclude it?

I used Brave temporarily and it passed the banks block.  I had considered it for a number of reasons.
I did nix the extensions, and I suppose I will find out if I miss them enough to reinstall.

If you were trying to minimize google in your life, which browsers would be in consideration?

@Slide Rule
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 09:02:33 pm by Slide Rule »

Recommended

Online DB

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2021, 09:15:02 pm »
Supposedly Edge is Chromium based and is now open source.

The bank has liability if your account gets hacked. It isn't unreasonable that they require a specific list of browsers that they support to maximize security and minimize their exposure. Each browser supported takes a lot of resources to maintain secure functionality on a continuing basis.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2021, 09:50:32 pm »

Thanks

So since Vivaldi is open source based on Chrome, you would exclude it?

I used Brave temporarily and it passed the banks block.  I had considered it for a number of reasons.
I did nix the extensions, and I suppose I will find out if I miss them enough to reinstall.

If you were trying to minimize google in your life, which browsers would be in consideration?

@Slide Rule

I have a different way of looking at that... I use three.

I use Edge for anything I do wrt my microsoft stuff... Which includes my PIM  currently
I use Chrome for anything to do with my google stuff (droid phone, can't be helped)

And for surfing, for the real deal, I use Firefox, as the only thing that ain't Chrome.
It gives me the illusion of privacy where it counts, and dividing the info they want. And I play it. Everywhere I go with Edge and Chrome is phony as hell... Nothing I really care about, but enough to make them think they know me...

Anyhow, if I want privacy I have another me, an wholly unique profile with no connection to me That me can be skipped into at any time like a new suit.

I prefer the three card monte approach, and I can palm the lady...

Online Slide Rule

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2021, 12:10:52 pm »
Guess who is on the bandwagon of selecting my browser?
Youtube.

Couldn’t sign you in
This browser or app may not be secure. Learn moreTry using a different browser. If you’re already using a supported browser, you can try again to sign in.

Ok. Lets try Learn more.

To help protect your account, Google doesn’t let you sign in from some browsers. Google might stop sign-ins from browsers that:
  • Don’t support JavaScript or have JavaScript turned off
  • Have unsecure or unsupported extensions added
  • Are being controlled through software automation rather than a human
  • Are embedded in a different application
Step 1. Use a supported browser
These and other browsers support JavaScript:
  • Chrome
  • Safari
  • Firefox
  • Opera
  • Internet Explorer
  • Edge
How helpful these guys are selecting a browser for me.

Ya I did send in a comment. I don't buy anything, post there, or anything
other than  watch stuff there. What security? Theirs?

And when I don't sign in, no hassle.

Bet it was my history and bookmarking of a few conservative posters.

They are from google and know best.
Same browser list.

What is up?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 04:01:10 pm by Slide Rule »

Recommended

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2021, 03:12:31 pm »
Guess who is on the bandwagon of selecting my browser?

Couldn’t sign you in
This browser or app may not be secure. Learn moreTry using a different browser. If you’re already using a supported browser, you can try again to sign in.

Ok. Lets try Learn more.

To help protect your account, Google doesn’t let you sign in from some browsers. Google might stop sign-ins from browsers that:
  • Don’t support JavaScript or have JavaScript turned off
  • Have unsecure or unsupported extensions added
  • Are being controlled through software automation rather than a human
  • Are embedded in a different application
Step 1. Use a supported browser
These and other browsers support JavaScript:
  • Chrome
  • Safari
  • Firefox
  • Opera
  • Internet Explorer
  • Edge
How helpful these guys are selecting a browser for me.

Ya I did send in a comment. I don't buy anything, post there, or anything
other than  watch stuff there. What security? Theirs?

And when I don't sign in, no hassle.

Bet it was my history and bookmarking of a few conservative posters.

They are from google and know best.
Same browser list.

What is up?

I will bet you could use Brave or Pale Moon and find a hack to change the BrowserID value to Firefox, and it would let you right in...

Sounds EXACTLY like they will only accept BrowserID from IE, Edge, Safari, Google or Firefox... Any other BrowserID will be rejected.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2021, 03:20:25 pm »
I will bet you could use Brave or Pale Moon and find a hack to change the BrowserID value to Firefox, and it would let you right in...

Sounds EXACTLY like they will only accept BrowserID from IE, Edge, Safari, Google or Firefox... Any other BrowserID will be rejected.

That's pretty bad if they're relying on the browser's user string to determine the browser definitively.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2021, 03:39:46 pm »
That's pretty bad if they're relying on the browser's user string to determine the browser definitively.

Probably not definitively - But Brave and PaleMoon are Firefox forks, so it would likely fool em.

Online Slide Rule

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2021, 04:06:28 pm »

I am in the process of canning my bank, I can't see any good reason to cooperate with Censorship Central.

I would rather deep six them.

My plan is to bookmark those posters that I like.
And not sign in again.
I never have and don't plan on posting on any social media or google related sites.

My son offered to research what the real reason is. He is naïve.
I have a pretty good idea as I post about youtube vids.

Recommended

Online Slide Rule

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2021, 04:09:22 pm »
Probably not definitively - But Brave and PaleMoon are Firefox forks, so it would likely fool em.

Vivaldi is a Chrome fork without much of the nastiness.

Brave is an alternative but I prefer Vivaldi.

Why the big secret. Ya know the real reason they seem to be harassing me.
I cant imagine that my words, logic, or humor got under their skin.

Recommended

Online Slide Rule

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2021, 04:31:05 pm »
Crypto Token

When I eliminated all extensions I turned Crypto Token off.

"permissions": [ "cryptotokenPrivate", ...
https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/58228/guide-google-extensions-crypto-token-what-it-does

Looking up that permission brings us to this page:
https://cljdoc.org/d/binaryage/chromex/0.8.4/api/chromex.ext.cryptotoken-private

Because of all the issues it's caused, some might say it was a mistake to allow users to disable such a critical component. But then again, I think it's great that Vivaldi would actually trust us to do so and I hope they will still give us the option. After all some users want nothing to do with Google at all so for them it's (probably) fine - until other sites start requiring the same for logins

It is an interesting link.

I suppose I could enable Crypto Token and see if that is the blockage. Chromium and Vivaldi are based on the same initial software but Vivaldi has differing code. The main reason I use Vivaldi and not anything google based. Probably trying to capture my keystrokes. Can a software guy read the short link and provide an opinion?

Thanks
@Slide Rule
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 04:39:11 pm by Slide Rule »

Recommended

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2021, 04:33:22 pm »
Not to be too much of a pot-stirrer, but isn't Vivaldi also chromium-based at this point?

Online Slide Rule

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2021, 04:41:09 pm »
Not to be too much of a pot-stirrer, but isn't Vivaldi also chromium-based at this point?

Yes it is. But it is detached from Chromium and Google.
The creator left and started Vivaldi.

Or so I have been led to believe.

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 04:42:57 pm by Slide Rule »

Recommended