Author Topic: Why Should a Straight White Male Go to College?  (Read 1335 times)

Offline AARguy

Re: Why Should a Straight White Male Go to College?
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2022, 02:50:09 am »
My favorite gourmet shop is in Nazareth, Pennsylvania. Its called "Cheeses of Nazareth".

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2022, 04:32:31 am »
Yes, STEM careers would be great for everybody. Unfortunately, not only maybe ten-twenty percent of high school grads are capable of STEM careers, there would not be enough jobs for all of them. Considering that many firms have to hire foreigners to fill STEM jobs there should be far more American high school grads attempting STEM careers rather than worthless or semi-worthless degrees in easier subjects.
But degrees in non-STEM fields can still be worthwhile if the student plans on further post-grad study and loves or likes what they're getting into. We still need good history, english, and other fields teachers.
But you're right...we need more students getting into STEM fields.
A STEM degree is no guarantee of access to a STEM career. There is a ridiculous level of misemployment among us. The skills are not transferable from one to another and many end up underemployed.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline AARguy

« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2022, 01:57:31 am »
I don't really care if the folks that designed the aircraft I'm flying in knows anything about history, social studies, or if he/she would do well at a cocktail party. I DO care if they know about Solid Mechanics, Fluid Mechanic, Thermodynamics and such. Getting me safely from New York to LA is really all I care about. And that is a matter of Physics and Calculus and all the rest... not the abiity to be "well rounded".

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2022, 12:29:47 am »
A STEM degree is no guarantee of access to a STEM career. There is a ridiculous level of misemployment among us. The skills are not transferable from one to another and many end up underemployed.
Maybe underemployed or misemployed but employed. I'd bet on the chances of the success of any  STEM career against any liberal arts degree.....like the one I have.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2022, 01:52:42 am »
Maybe underemployed or misemployed but employed. I'd bet on the chances of the success of any  STEM career against any liberal arts degree.....like the one I have.

Same here.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2022, 03:15:23 am »
I have made a living off what I learned earning my Geology degree for 37 of the last 42 years...

Not everyone does what they love and studied for, and I have been fortunate in that regard.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline AARguy

« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2022, 04:35:21 am »
The dentist scowled and yelled as he looked at his plumbing bill. He screamed, "This is more than I charge for major dental surgery! This is outrageous!"

The plumber said, "That's what I used to say when I was a dentist, too."