Author Topic: Pandemic unemployment benefits set to end, shaking up labor market  (Read 487 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Pandemic unemployment benefits set to end, shaking up labor market
« on: September 05, 2021, 04:04:10 pm »
Pandemic unemployment benefits set to end, shaking up labor market
by Zachary Halaschak, Economics Reporter |
 | September 05, 2021 06:05 AM

As Labor Day weekend comes to a close, so too will expanded unemployment benefits for millions of people across the country.

The pandemic-tethered benefits were extended by the Biden administration in March as part of President Joe Biden’s American Rescue Plan and Republicans soon began crying foul as more people got vaccinated yet shortages in the labor market increased. The GOP and some economists say that the shortages have worsened because workers have opted to live off the benefits rather than find employment.

The programs that are ending include one that extended the length of regular unemployment benefits, the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance program, which covered some 4.2 million self-employed and gig workers who don’t qualify for regular benefits, and supplemental federal benefits that added $300 on to whatever unemployment states were offering.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/enhanced-pandemic-unemployment-benefits-ending-labor-day

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
Re: Pandemic unemployment benefits set to end, shaking up labor market
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2021, 05:01:52 pm »
Good....
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online libertybele

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2021, 05:05:46 pm »
Many place around here have "now hiring" signs on their buildings, signs out in the front lawns of businesses and now trucks driving around with signs.  I have never seen so many 'now hiring' signs in my lifetime. 

People need the shake up and hopefully DEMS won't offer another darn stimulus check! 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2021, 05:20:42 pm »
Finally.  Maybe now I will be able to get decent service at a restaurant again.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2021, 05:34:02 pm »
And once the lazy, leeching, slackers are forced to go back to their jobs Biden will crow about how many jobs he has created.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2021, 05:39:45 pm »
And once the lazy, leeching, slackers are forced to go back to their jobs Biden will crow about how many jobs he has created.

One problem.  Why would I hire someone who was too lazy to work for the last two years?

Online GtHawk

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2021, 06:02:18 pm »
One problem.  Why would I hire someone who was too lazy to work for the last two years?
Same reason that fast food operators seemingly hired nothing but Hispanics, legal or otherwise, you have to deal with the pool of potential employees that exists not the one you wish for. For many businesses it's spin the wheel or close the doors.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2021, 06:13:26 pm »
Same reason that fast food operators seemingly hired nothing but Hispanics, legal or otherwise, you have to deal with the pool of potential employees that exists not the one you wish for. For many businesses it's spin the wheel or close the doors.

Anyone else notice nowadays that the odds of getting an order right at fast food restaurant drive through is 4 in 10 at best?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online libertybele

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2021, 06:24:49 pm »
Anyone else notice nowadays that the odds of getting an order right at fast food restaurant drive through is 4 in 10 at best?

Yes, we've had problems.  The only fast food that we do on occasion is Wendy's or Dunkin Donuts. I've not had problems with the donut shop, but we've had problems with Wendy 's for years. We always check or order now before we leave the drive through.  Yes, we've held up the line many times because they had to correct an order.  The dining room was open which made it easier to check the order, but for some reason they've closed again.  The employees are mostly young kids of various different ethnic backgrounds of which I don't  think most of them can walk and chew gum at the same time.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online libertybele

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2021, 06:39:29 pm »
Finally.  Maybe now I will be able to get decent service at a restaurant again.

The more upscale restaurants around here surprisingly fared very well through the pandemic; first offering curbside and then social distancing inside and have been fully open for months. They at first offered curbside family specials with a limited menu; but it kept them in  business.  Their workers made decent tips and found that their regular customers helped them with a few extra dollars during the 'shutdown', so most were happy to get off unemployment; staying at home was too boring!  I know we tipped heavy during the pandemic, we felt we needed to give them a little extra because they decided to go back to work rather than sit on their butts and to help make up for the time that everyone was shutdown and out of work.

We do curbside about once a week at various different places and we've gotten used to it and with us having health issues, we dine in the comfort of our home. Portions seem to be just as large, service is great and they usually have orders ready within a half hour and orders are accurate, food is hot.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 06:43:03 pm by libertybele »

Online GtHawk

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2021, 07:23:19 pm »
Having run fast food operations, or as they like too call them internally QSR's, I rarely go for anything other than In-N-Out. Almost every other National chain other than operations like them or higher price operations like Five Guys pre cook and stage everything then pull it from warming cabinets to assemble. That's why the food at MickeyD's, Carl's and Burger King get to luke warm and tastes nothing like the days when it was coming right off the grill to you.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2021, 12:35:55 am »
The more upscale restaurants around here surprisingly fared very well through the pandemic; first offering curbside and then social distancing inside and have been fully open for months. They at first offered curbside family specials with a limited menu; but it kept them in  business.  Their workers made decent tips and found that their regular customers helped them with a few extra dollars during the 'shutdown', so most were happy to get off unemployment; staying at home was too boring!  I know we tipped heavy during the pandemic, we felt we needed to give them a little extra because they decided to go back to work rather than sit on their butts and to help make up for the time that everyone was shutdown and out of work.

We do curbside about once a week at various different places and we've gotten used to it and with us having health issues, we dine in the comfort of our home. Portions seem to be just as large, service is great and they usually have orders ready within a half hour and orders are accurate, food is hot.

I have been dining in.  The better places have put up signs warning that service might be slow due to their inability to find adequate staff.  The individual wait staff who are working seem to be doing a fine job. 

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2021, 03:19:08 pm »
I have been dining in.  The better places have put up signs warning that service might be slow due to their inability to find adequate staff.  The individual wait staff who are working seem to be doing a fine job.

We rarely eat out to begin with and now even less.  We do sometimes order from a local place and pick it up since we live too far from town for delivery.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 03:20:07 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online catfish1957

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2021, 04:42:14 pm »

One thing that we have done through this crisis, is making sure we have rewarded those who choose to KEEP WORKING, and didn't stay home for the Biden Check, by overtipping.  Recently, I've pretty much given 30% for good service, and 50% for excellent.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2021, 02:14:39 am »
Would you hire an illegal instead?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2021, 02:16:02 am »
One thing that we have done through this crisis, is making sure we have rewarded those who choose to KEEP WORKING, and didn't stay home for the Biden Check, by overtipping.  Recently, I've pretty much given 30% for good service, and 50% for excellent.
you make me look cheap at 20%.

I will need to step up my game.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington