Author Topic: Richmond’s massive Robert E. Lee statue removed from pedestal on Monument Avenue  (Read 1188 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Richmond’s massive Robert E. Lee statue removed from pedestal on Monument Avenue
NBC12, Sep 8, 2021

RICHMOND, Va. (AP/WWBT) - History was made in Richmond Wednesday as one of the country’s largest Confederate monuments came down on the city’s famous Monument Avenue.

The 21-foot-tall bronze statue of Robert E. Lee on a horse was hoisted off its 40-foot pedestal, 131 years after it was erected in the former capital of the Confederacy as a tribute to the Civil War leader.

While many saw the statue as an offensive glorification of the South’s slave-holding past, public officials had long resisted its removal, along with residents of Virginia who argued moving the monument would be akin to erasing history.

Governor Ralph Northam announced intentions last year to remove Lee from the state-owned property. Last week, he finally won the right to take it down after more than a year in litigation.

Northam issued the following statement after the Robert E. Lee Monument was officially removed:

“After 133 years, the statue of Robert E. Lee has finally come down—the last Confederate statue on Monument Avenue, and the largest in the South. The public monuments reflect the story we choose to tell about who we are as a people. It is time to display history as history, and use the public memorials to honor the full and inclusive truth of who we are today and in the future.”

https://www.nbc12.com/2021/09/08/live-richmonds-massive-robert-e-lee-statue-be-removed-sent-storage/

Offline Right_in_Virginia

I think the only logical next step is to erase slavery from American history.   These piddling interim steps, while loads of fun, are just not enough to reset the ship of state to its rightful course. :patriot:

Offline cato potatoe

Governor Blackface is working out his race problems on a statue.  He needs to pay for this circus.

Offline ironhorsedriver

Not only removed, they cut it up! Can't put it in storage for when sane minds take over. This is discusting.

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
I think the only logical next step is to erase slavery from American history.   These piddling interim steps, while loads of fun, are just not enough to reset the ship of state to its rightful course. :patriot:

They're not trying to remove slavery from American history, they're trying to make American history *nothing but* slavery; that's what "The 1619 Project" was really all about.
James 1:20

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
No comment.  And its probably best that way.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

They're not trying to remove slavery from American history, they're trying to make American history *nothing but* slavery; that's what "The 1619 Project" was really all about.
A very good observation.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Next up: scrub Lee's record as the highest scoring graduate from West Point.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Hoodat

So what next for the Fan?  Do they march down to Hollywood Cemetery and dig up the bodies of Jefferson Davis, Jeb Stuart, and George Pickett?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline HoustonSam

So what next for the Fan?  Do they march down to Hollywood Cemetery and dig up the bodies of Jefferson Davis, Jeb Stuart, and George Pickett?

Don't put it past them.  They agitated in Memphis until Forrest was exhumed.

But look at the condition of the plinth in the photos above.  It's obvious that neither state nor local government was going to lift a finger to maintain or even protect this statue; they had allowed it to become an object of scorn and obloquy.  I don't like hearing that the statue was cut in half, but it's better that it be removed than left in place simply to be desecrated.

Online mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online roamer_1

What a damned cryin shame.  **nononono*

Offline HoustonSam

Offline Hoodat

I look forward to the day when I meet Robert E. Lee in heaven.  And from that moment on, I will never run the risk of meeting any of the people responsible for removing his statue.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
Hat tip to former POTUS DJT.

Same here.  My opinion of him just went up 2X.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline verga

In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
F*** it. Remove Richmond from the face of the earth.

After all, it was the Confederate Capital.

These arses can't dig deep enough.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EdinVA

It continues to amaze me how ignorant people in Virginia have become.
Moved here in 1960 from Texas.... what a change.