Author Topic: Cancel culture in climate change  (Read 95 times)

rangerrebew

Cancel culture in climate change
« on: September 07, 2021, 04:31:14 pm »
Cancel culture in climate change
Posted on September 7, 2021 by curryja | 8 Comments

by Robert Wade

A microcosm on the ‘morality’ of cancel culture: the aborted conference on ‘Global Warming: Mitigation Strategies’, hosted by the Italian scientific academy the Lincei.

My essay ‘What is the harm in forecasting catastrophe due to man-made global warming?’ [link] placed the debate about human influences on the climate in the context of a larger process of polarization common when scientific disagreements become public. As described by sociologist of science Robert K. Merton [link], each group then responds to stereotyped versions of the other:

“They see in the other’s work primarily what the hostile stereotype has alerted them to see, and then promptly mistake the part for the whole. In this process, each group … becomes less and less motivated to study the work of the other, since there is manifestly little point in doing so. They scan the out-group’s writings just enough to find ammunition for new fusillades.“

Karl Popper’s epistemological basis for knowledge – knowledge advances by disconfirmation — goes out the window, for the birds, as what scientists believe to be approximately true becomes a function of their group identity. See also Anne Applebaum,  ‘The New Puritans’, recently published in The Atlantic.

https://judithcurry.com/2021/09/07/cancel-culture-in-climate-change/#more-27837

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Cancel culture in climate change
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 04:36:41 pm »
Lately there seems to be a lot of analogization of how the Taliban translates vs. western factions.

IMO...   Climate Change Envirowhackos are the closest in tactic, scope, and self righteousness.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.