Author Topic: Thanks to US abandoning weapons in Afghanistan, Taliban fighters now better armed than Ukrainian Arm  (Read 201 times)

rangerrebew

Thanks to US abandoning weapons in Afghanistan, Taliban fighters now better armed than Ukrainian Army – Russia’s defense minister
30 Aug, 2021 15:21
Get short URL

By Jonny Tickle
Russia’s defense minister has claimed that the US left behind more than 100 Javelin portable anti-tank missile systems in Afghanistan. Sergey Shoigu now believes that the militant group is better equipped than the Ukrainian Army.

He told the YouTube channel Solovyov Live that the terrorists’ considerable cache of weapons, and vehicles, is a massive risk for Afghanistan.

“Javelins are supplied to Ukraine from the United States,” Shoigu said. “I don’t remember how many, a few dozen, or so.”

This means that the Taliban now has more of them than the Ukrainian Army.

https://www.rt.com/russia/533461-shoigu-armed-taliban-fighters/

Offline PeteS in CA

The Taliban has ~3000 tanks?

The Taliban has the equivalents of >35 MiG-29s, >15 Su-24s, >10 Su-25, and >30 Su-27s? Those are all jets, with only the Su-25 being subsonic. The only military jet the Taliban captured was an ancient Boeing 727 former airliner.

Like I've said before, exaggerating what the Talibanders did capture does not boost credibility. Maybe Russia Today propaganda isn't the best information in the world.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Pete wrote:
"The only military jet the Taliban captured was an ancient Boeing 727 former airliner."

Didn't they get some C-130's as well?
What's the effective range on those (thinking of a one-way trip)?
What's the range of the 727?

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Pete wrote:
"The only military jet the Taliban captured was an ancient Boeing 727 former airliner."

C-130 2,361 miles.
727 1,930 to 2,550, depending on model.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline PeteS in CA

Pete wrote:

@Fishrrman, did you read my post? Notice the word I emphasized above. You also quoted me out of context. Here's the full paragraph:

The Taliban has the equivalents of >35 MiG-29s, >15 Su-24s, >10 Su-25, and >30 Su-27s? Those are all jets, with only the Su-25 being subsonic. The only military jet the Taliban captured was an ancient Boeing 727 former airliner.

My point was the very limited combat capability of the aircraft the Talibanders captured, not their range. I could have added that Iran's ancient F-5Es and Pakistan's ancient Mirage IIIs would regard the Talibanders' aircraft as easy target practice, but I thought my point was obvious. Obviously I was wrong on that point. So I'll try to state it more plainly: Afghanistan's air assets are not even a realistic threat to its neighbors, the four ____stans and Iran, let alone to the rest of the world.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
@Fishrrman, did you read my post? Notice the word I emphasized above. You also quoted me out of context. Here's the full paragraph:

My point was the very limited combat capability of the aircraft the Talibanders captured, not their range. I could have added that Iran's ancient F-5Es and Pakistan's ancient Mirage IIIs would regard the Talibanders' aircraft as easy target practice, but I thought my point was obvious. Obviously I was wrong on that point. So I'll try to state it more plainly: Afghanistan's air assets are not even a realistic threat to its neighbors, the four ____stans and Iran, let alone to the rest of the world.
Load one of those C-130s with explosives, and use it like a jet out of Logan on one of the neighbors, and it could be very nasty. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the potential of those prop planes, either. (The Soviets used prop driven bombers for a long time as front line nuclear delivery platforms in their own triad). 

The Super Tucanos are basically tactical cropdusters, turboprop, and built mainly for Close Air Support. They aren't A-10s, but neither were the 'Spads'  (Skyraiders) of the Vietnam era. That doesn't mean they can't be very effective for their intended purpose.

But they will only have any effect if they are simple enough for the Taliban to keep in the air. B-2s and F-22s would likely be no good to them at all. I think their aim will be more for regional hegemony, not to take over the world (at least not right away).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis