Author Topic: Was Hurricane Ida Really A Cat 4?  (Read 131 times)

rangerrebew

Was Hurricane Ida Really A Cat 4?
« on: August 31, 2021, 04:42:35 pm »

Was Hurricane Ida Really A Cat 4?
August 31, 2021
tags: Hurricanes

By Paul Homewood

There’s two videos of Ida that I would recommend you watch. The second should follow on from the first, but you need to click on the link:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/very-very-bad-images-show-damage-flooding-hurricane-ida-n1277937

Both films were shot on the section of coast that took the brunt of the storm and surge.

It is clear from the first footage that the storm surge was no more than a foot, while the second set shows very little structural damage, either from winds or surge. If Ida really had been a Cat 4 storm at landfall, there would have been little left of these houses. Equally, they would have been flattened if the surge had been as high as threatened.

The sort of damage we see, uprooted trees, damage to less substantial wooden houses and so on, would be more compatible with a Cat 2 storm:

https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2021/08/31/was-hurricane-ida-really-a-cat-4/

rangerrebew

Re: Was Hurricane Ida Really A Cat 4?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 04:56:34 pm »
I don't have a degree in meteorology or have any advanced degrees in it but I did spend four years in the Naval Weather Service and had a lot of exposure to typhoons.  I have to agree with the author.  As I watched the news on the hurricane with my wife I made several comments about finding it hard to believe it was a cat 4 when it came ashore.  The damage and even the flooding was very light for that powerful of a storm (cat 4).  Remember when mayor Ray Nagin talked about the damage in "chocolate city" and how devastated everything was after Katrina?  I haven't heard about "devastated" anything.  Oh sure, some building were badly damaged, there was flooding, mobile homes may have been blown a few hundred yards, lines down, etc., but that is to be expected.  Hollyweird isn't complaining about the storm being racist, neither are Je$$ie Jack$on or Al $harpton, or whacked out environmentalists.  I think  inflated wind speeds were used for the benefit of global warming.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 04:57:36 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 10:11:40 pm »
Sound like someone "blew up" this storm all outta proportions...!

(in this age of climate change, the winds of propaganda blow more mightily than the howling storms...)

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2021, 10:24:47 pm »
It may have been a cat 4, but much of the force was spent on swampy and sparsely populated areas.  The area of the hurricane-force winds was several times smaller than Katrina, and the surge more limited as a result.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 10:25:46 pm »
??? Regardless. Over 1M were without power.  Picture is of a roadway washed out in MS.  I don't make light of any hurricane; the wind gusts, storm surge and the devastation are unpredictable. Billions of dollars of damage was done.  Whether it was a Cat 4 or a Cat 2 -- the damage was done.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 10:27:13 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online rustynail

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2021, 10:25:48 pm »
"That was four or five days ago!"

Offline libertybele

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2021, 10:29:36 pm »
"That was four or five days ago!"

Updated 7:52 AM ET, Tue August 31, 2021

No.
 Two people were killed and 10 others injured after part of a highway washed away Monday night near the town of Lucedale, Mississippi, officials said.
The incident occurred on the two-lane Highway 26 in George County, Trooper Cal Robertson of the Mississippi Highway Patrol told CNN on Tuesday. The washout was likely related to rain from Hurricane Ida, he said....

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/31/us/mississippi-highway-26-collapse-flooding/index.html

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2021, 10:30:27 pm »

Offline libertybele

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2021, 10:31:45 pm »

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2021, 10:33:41 pm »
I think we can unmothball some of those Fema Katrina trailers.  Home away from home.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2021, 10:37:42 pm »
I think we can unmothball some of those Fema Katrina trailers.  Home away from home.

Hey, it beats the heck out of putting a tarp overhead and letting the wind blow in.