Author Topic: Green energy solutions are releasing tons of LEAD into the environment, posing a lasting human heal  (Read 158 times)

rangerrebew

Green energy solutions are releasing tons of LEAD into the environment, posing a lasting human health threat

08/20/2021 / By Lance D Johnson

In the fight against “climate change,” green energy solutions abound. Solar panels and wind turbines provide renewable power without the awful emissions, and so they are sold to the public as clean energy sources.

But as these systems age and breakdown, they become a serious source of environmental pollution and become a human health hazard. Most importantly, solar panels break down and disperse lead into the soil, air and into our bodies. These complex pieces of technology leave behind a bulky trail of electronic waste, and there is no efficient way to recycle that waste and deal with the ensuing lead pollution.
Large scale recycling innovations must be realized, as solar panels begin to break down and leach lead into the environment

The International Renewable Energy Agency projects that 78 million metric tons of solar panels will reach the end of their life span by 2050. At that time, the world will be producing approximately six million metric tons of new solar e-waste annually. While there are recycling solutions for most other e-waste materials, solar panels have to go through a more cumbersome process to be fully recycled. For one, the silver, copper wiring, and silicon must be recovered. The panels also contain glass, sheets of polymer and aluminum. The glass, polymer and silicon cells are coated in silver electrodes and soldered with tin and lead.

https://www.climate.news/2021-08-20-solar-panels-green-energy-releasing-lead-into-the-environment.html#

Offline Potluck

• Surrendered August 19, 1998
I’m not real sure about the claim of being soldered with lead. Maybe those produced before ROHS restrictions were in place. That would make sense since those panels have degraded over the past 20 years and need replaced.
Today though ROSH (Restriction Of Hazardous Substances) is solidly in place. Many countries require products follow ROHS to satisfy the global market. I think it’s a safe bet solar panels today are soldered with lead-free solder.   
"Hell is the impossibility of reason" - Oliver Stone

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
Everything the envirowhacko agenda pushes has unintended consequences.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
I’m not real sure about the claim of being soldered with lead. Maybe those produced before ROHS restrictions were in place. That would make sense since those panels have degraded over the past 20 years and need replaced.
Today though ROSH (Restriction Of Hazardous Substances) is solidly in place. Many countries require products follow ROHS to satisfy the global market. I think it’s a safe bet solar panels today are soldered with lead-free solder.   

Don't forget there are standards all over the place that are highly contradicative.

SWDA, RCRA, CWA, CAA, FDA, OSHA, etc. etc. all have very unique and different action levels for Pb.

Give you an example.  Back in the '80's when the EPA shifted the Hazardous Waste test from the EP Tox to the TCLP, we had to reevaluate all of our plant wastes with the new testing protocols.

Imagine my shock when our plant unleaded paints wastes came back hazardous for lead under RCRA standards.  And then try to figure out how to explain that to the painters.

My point trying to mitigate wastes or material from panels like these is shooting at a moving target.  And again as you stated, you then have to deal with each country's different standard too.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 12:19:39 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.