Author Topic: Progressives turn up heat on Biden over student loans  (Read 154 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Progressives turn up heat on Biden over student loans
« on: August 10, 2021, 03:56:35 pm »
Progressives turn up heat on Biden over student loans
By Sylvan Lane - 08/10/21 06:00 AM EDT

Progressives who have spent months pushing President Biden to cancel billions of dollars in student debt are now targeting the end of a federal pause on loan payments as a deadline for White House action.

Biden on Friday extended a freeze on student loan bills until Jan. 31 but said it would be the last time the Education Department renewed a pause on payments that’s been in place since the start of the coronavirus pandemic.

While the president won praise from some Democrats, he also raised the odds of a fierce intraparty debate spilling over into an election year by pushing the student loan repayment cliff into 2022.

Democratic lawmakers and activists who support executive action to wipe out much of the $1.6 trillion in federal student debt are pressuring Biden to act before roughly 43 million Americans must resume paying off their loans.

“Sounds like January 31, 2022 is the deadline to cancel student debt. No more extensions required,” said Rep. Jamaal Bowman (D-N.Y.) in a tweet.

more
https://thehill.com/policy/finance/567066-progressives-turn-up-heat-on-biden-over-student-loans
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Progressives turn up heat on Biden over student loans
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2021, 05:47:36 pm »
My position is that no student loan should be paid off until all those who funded their own tuition gets reimbursed first.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Killer Clouds

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2021, 05:53:17 pm »
My position is that no student loan should be paid off until all those who funded their own tuition gets reimbursed first.
Since I never borrowed any money to go to school can I have the government pay off my mortgage instead?

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2021, 07:37:54 pm »
Since I never borrowed any money to go to school can I have the government pay off my mortgage instead?
I never borrowed money either for school.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2021, 07:44:35 pm »
Maybe the federal government should get out of the student loan business altogether instead of running a monopoly on it.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online The_Reader_David

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2021, 03:57:10 am »
Maybe student loans should be dischargable in bankruptcy, the same as car loans, credit card debt and mortgages, and just like those other obligations, repaid as agreed unless one declare bankruptcy, in which case one gets the stain on one's credit history of a personal bankruptcy and all the attendant grief that can cause.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.