Author Topic: 'please don't leave us behind' Afghan Air Force pilot to Americans: 'We did not all just give up and  (Read 92 times)

rangerrebew

'please don't leave us behind'
Afghan Air Force pilot to Americans: 'We did not all just give up and quit'
Brigid Kennedy
August 17, 2021

SHAH MARAI/AFP via Getty Images

One Afghan Air Force pilot, forced into hiding until rescued or found out by the Taliban, wants Americans to know Afghan soldiers did not just apathetically throw in the towel when it came to defending their government.

"Many Afghan soldiers died bravely," the pilot told The Bulwark. "I've been fighting for over fifteen years. We did not all just give up and quit." Yes, some did, the pilot conceded, but "the logistics, maintenance, and corruption" brought on after the U.S. withdrawal "really hurt us." While addressing the nation on Monday, President Biden said American forces cannot and should not be fighting in a war that "Afghan forces are not willing to fight for themselves."

"I know people in the U.S. are upset that we didn't fight longer," the pilot added. "But we've been fighting for decades — and some of us, even longer. When the U.S. left, it really affected morale, especially how quickly it happened."

https://theweek.com/world/1003830/afghan-air-force-pilot-to-americans-we-did-not-all-just-give-up-and-quit

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
One Afghan Air Force pilot, forced into hiding until rescued or found out by the Taliban, wants Americans to know Afghan soldiers did not just apathetically throw in the towel when it came to defending their government.

"Many Afghan soldiers died bravely," the pilot told The Bulwark. "I've been fighting for over fifteen years. We did not all just give up and quit." Yes, some did, the pilot conceded, but "the logistics, maintenance, and corruption" brought on after the U.S. withdrawal "really hurt us."

As I have stated here previously, my pure civilian life gives me no insight into fighting wars or training armies.  But I have to wonder, what is the point of the US Military training a foreign army to rely on the US Military?  Clearly the US can maintain a logistics-and-maintenance-heavy approach, but if a foreign army needs to be trained to fight against an unconventional enemy that lives off the land, shouldn't that foreign army be trained to fight similarly, rather than to rely on capabilities it doesn't have but we do have?

It seems to me that reproducing miniature US Armies in other countries, armies which require the same high ratio of support headcount to combat headcount, and then withdrawing a large proportion of that support headcount because it's still American, is a recipe for continued failure.

But I'm just a chairborne ranger, there must be more to it than I comprehend.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 12:30:15 pm by HoustonSam »
James 1:20

rangerrebew

It appears Jihadis, such as the Taliban, depend on the US military to keep them supplied in weapons, too.  By the way, that is an excellent point about training these other militaries to be dependent on the US, not themselves. :hands: :hands: