Author Topic: China's mouthpiece newspaper suggests U.S. will abandon Taiwan after Afghan collapse  (Read 255 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

China's mouthpiece newspaper suggests U.S. will abandon Taiwan after Afghan collapse

China's provocations show the messy U.S. exit from Afghanistan has larger global implications

By John Solomon

Updated: August 16, 2021 - 3:11pm

One of China's official mouthpiece newspapers on Monday questioned whether the United States would defend Taiwan in a conflict after the collapse in Afghanistan, illustrating how the messy American exit from Kabul has far-reaching global consequences.

The series of tweets from the state-affiliated Global Times immediately captured the interest of U.S. intelligence experts, who questioned whether China and other global adversaries might agitate while the Biden administration struggles to oversee a bungled troop withdrawal after the 20-year war in Afghanistan.

"If war breaks out across the Taiwan Straits, will US keep its promises?," the Global Times tweeted in one such post flagged by U.S. intelligence officials to Just the News. "Some media asked after US hastened pullout from #Afghanistan. #US has never promised to send troops if conflicts occur across the Straits, an expert in Taiwan said."

more
https://justthenews.com/government/security/chinas-mouthpiece-newspaper-suggests-us-will-abandon-taiwan-after-afghan?utm_campaign=ligthouse&utm_content=chinas-mouthpiece-newspaper-suggests-us-will-abandon-taiwan-after-afghan-collapse&utm_source=social-jsr&utm_medium=twitter
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline dfwgator

I have no doubt Joe will abandon Taiwan.  That goes without saying.

Offline cato potatoe

I have no doubt Joe will abandon Taiwan.  That goes without saying.

With the goods they have on him, it's inevitable.  No telling what the Russians found on Hunter's 6 dozen laptops. 

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
The United States was never going to go to total war to defend Taiwan.
Maybe in the 1950's it might have, but NOT NOW. China has "the big weapons" today with which to fight back, that they didn't have then.

Here's a shot fired directly at you:
How many Briefers would be willing to sacrifice their sons (or daughters) in a war for Taiwan (with no guarantee of winning)?
C'mon, I'm callin' you out on this.

Who has the nerve to answer me?

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Maybe in the 1950's it might have, but NOT NOW. China has "the big weapons" today with which to fight back, that they didn't have then.

How many Briefers would be willing to sacrifice their sons (or daughters) in a war for Taiwan (with no guarantee of winning)?

The USA has no honor! Hasn't for more than 80 years and that is why virtually no country on earth trusts us.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline berdie

The USA has no honor! Hasn't for more than 80 years and that is why virtually no country on earth trusts us.

80 years is a conservative figure. Think about the Indians.

Offline rustynail

Give China Australia while we are at it.

Offline art.prout

Friend (can I call you that?), your question is moot.  There is no way that the US is going to do anything (beyond strongly worded proclamations and letters) about Taiwan.  You clarified that in your post: perhaps in the 1950s, even into the early 1960s, it may have been a different story.

Upon further reflection, a half hearted effort may be raised if BigWar has most other markets closed off at the time.  But of course it would not be an effort designed to achieve victory, it would merely be a way to generate profits via an increased debt burden on the yet unborn.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 11:15:39 pm by art.prout »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I doubt that the Biden admin has even connected the dots that the quick Taliban takeover was due to heavy support by China, so they could destroy US credibility as they prepare to invade Taiwan.

The Republic is lost.

Offline mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I used to be free trade, hard core free trader even. Now i'm wondering why are we trading with these scumbags?

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Who says we haven't abandoned them already?  We better build more microchip factories in US before China takes over Taiwan.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline mountaineer

Who says we haven't abandoned them already?  We better build more microchip factories in US before China takes over Taiwan.
Probably prohibited by EPA regs.  888mouth
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline dfwgator

I used to be free trade, hard core free trader even. Now i'm wondering why are we trading with these scumbags?

I was once like you. Now I am a full-blown isolationist economic nationalist.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I was once like you. Now I am a full-blown isolationist economic nationalist.

I wouldn't got that far, personally. Trade with good countries (Europe, Japan, other Asian tigers) is fine, although all nations do engage in protectionism to a certain point. But trade with China? Over that.

Offline cato potatoe

Probably because we are in too deep, and we have spent our time swatting islamic horseflies while China plays the long game.  What needs to happen is the imposition of significant tariffs on products from China, which gives our businessmen a chance to rework their supply chains.