Author Topic: USDA to permanently boost food stamp benefits by 25 percent  (Read 306 times)

Offline mountaineer

USDA to permanently boost food stamp benefits by 25 percent
« on: August 16, 2021, 01:42:27 pm »
While we're all distracted by Afghanistan, Biden's handlers take yet another step toward the total destruction of the U.S. economy ...
USDA to permanently boost food stamp benefits by 25 percent
Aug. 15, 2021 at 9:12 pm Updated Aug. 16, 2021 at 5:46 am
by JOSH BOAK and ASHRAF KHALIL
The Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Biden administration has approved a significant and permanent increase in the levels of food stamp assistance available to needy families — the largest single increase in the program’s history.

Starting in October, average benefits for food stamps — officially known as the SNAP program — will rise more than 25 percent above pre-pandemic levels. The increased assistance will be available indefinitely to all 42 million SNAP beneficiaries.

The aid boost was first reported by The New York Times and the details were confirmed by a spokeswoman for the Agriculture Department. They will be formally announced Monday by Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack.  ...
AP via Seattle Times
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: USDA to permanently boost food stamp benefits by 25 percent
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2021, 03:06:31 pm »
How can this be done without a law on the books?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2021, 03:50:50 pm »
:shrug:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 09:31:59 am »
Dunno, but some of them obviously eat better than I can afford to--or at least more...

(at least I don't have to worry about that COVID comorbidity as much...)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 09:33:07 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2021, 12:09:34 pm »
Buy food
Sell it for cash
Buy cigarettes

Dollar Generals seem to exist for food stamp recipients. Everyone in there is using The Card. There is also a weight minimum to get in. They have several end caps filled with sugary soda which you have to buy in order to check out. I was in the other day and heard the lady say to her friend "You gonna git you a drank?". She said "No" then they both laughed and she got a Mountain Dew.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2021, 01:17:47 pm »
More dollars chasing fewer goods.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2021, 01:31:03 pm »
Good news for all our new Afghani neighbors.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2021, 01:40:58 pm »
I'm convinced that Mr. M and I, and our friends the retired dentist and his wife are the only ones in our town not on SNAP. Every trip to Kroger is another opportunity to become annoyed.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2021, 01:47:53 pm »
I'm convinced that Mr. M and I, and our friends the retired dentist and his wife are the only ones in our town not on SNAP. Every trip to Kroger is another opportunity to become annoyed.

I stood in line once behind a woman who was trying to buy candy with her SNAP card.  The purchase was allowed, but sales tax was added to the total amount.  The woman got into an argument with the clerk saying that it was a food purchase and that they shouldn't be deducting sales tax out of her SNAP card account.  After about half a minute of this, I finally said, "What does it matter to you?  I'm the one paying it."
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2021, 01:54:51 pm »
I stood in line once behind a woman who was trying to buy candy with her SNAP card.  The purchase was allowed, but sales tax was added to the total amount.  The woman got into an argument with the clerk saying that it was a food purchase and that they shouldn't be deducting sales tax out of her SNAP card account.  After about half a minute of this, I finally said, "What does it matter to you?  I'm the one paying it."
I was behind an apparently able-bodied 20-something man at a 7-Eleven a few years ago, and he bought several bags of candy with his food stamps. I was gobsmacked that candy was included. wth.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2021, 01:58:41 pm »
If I were President, the very first rule I would put in place is 'No Food Stamps for People Who are Overweight'.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2021, 02:00:11 pm »
Nothing done by man is permanent.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2021, 02:03:06 pm »
If I were President, the very first rule I would put in place is 'No Food Stamps for People Who are Overweight'.
That would save a bundle of tax dollars in places like WV and MS.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2021, 02:15:00 pm »
Nothing done by man is permanent.

There is nothing in this world more permanent than a temporary government program.

-M. Friedman-

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2021, 02:28:54 pm »

Those people vote too.
I thought food stamps were just for families with kids. I know you used to be able to buy them ($20 food stamp for $15) even if you didn't have kids but I don't know what happened when they went to the card.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2021, 02:46:25 pm »
Those people vote too.
I thought food stamps were just for families with kids. I know you used to be able to buy them ($20 food stamp for $15) even if you didn't have kids but I don't know what happened when they went to the card.

I bet you also thought that social security was for people who were at retirement age.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2021, 02:50:36 pm »
Unlimited Free Food and Rent?????.......

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2021, 05:13:14 pm »
I just returned from Wal-Mart. The young woman ahead of me in line used her food stamp card for a cartful of groceries, paid for by me. She had at least $2000 worth of tattoos and a fancy manicure.

Life is good.  ... for some people.  9999hair out0000

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2021, 08:06:53 am »
My boss and I sat down tonight and figured the value of benefits for a single mom of 4 would require a pre-tax income of roughly $7000/month to be able to provide for your own family of the same size. Now, they are getting a raise, while the rest of us struggle to provide similar results for our families.

Who're the slaves, being looted at gunpoint to pay for this?

It has to stop.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis