Author Topic: Sheriff to face trial over program to harass 'future criminals'  (Read 408 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
WND by Bob Unruh 8/14/2021

'Predictive policing' identified individuals, who then were targeted by officers

A federal judge has declined to dismiss a complaint that charges a sheriff with establishing a "predictive policing" program that targets "future criminals."

The Institute for Justice reports the decision by Judge Steven Merryday in the case against Pasco County Sheriff Chris Nocco is a victory – at least for now – for the families who brought the complaint.

It means the plaintiffs will have their day in court.

"Today’s decision is an important step toward the ultimate dismantling of the program," explained Ari Bargil, an attorney at the Institute for Justice, which represents the plaintiffs.

"By rejecting the PCSO’s attempt to have the case thrown out, the judge signaled that the plaintiffs’ claims are meritorious and that a full inquiry into the constitutional legitimacy of the program is necessary. We look forward to proving up our claims in the weeks and months to come."

The lawsuit was filed in March and seeks to halt the county's "dystopian 'predictive policing' program."

More: https://www.wnd.com/2021/08/sheriff-face-trial-program-harass-future-criminals/

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Sheriff to face trial over program to harass 'future criminals'
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2021, 10:15:09 am »
Minority Report.....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline art.prout

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2021, 10:20:47 am »
Wow, I had no idea that programs such as this have been operating.  (I must be a naive SOB!)

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2021, 10:49:55 am »
Wow, I had no idea that programs such as this have been operating.  (I must be a naive SOB!)
Kids from the wrong side of the tracks or whose parents took a wrong turn have been the focus of such for a long time.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2021, 01:28:39 pm »
WOW! A psychic sheriff!

Hoodathunkit?

I am so naieve I actually thought you had to be caught committing a criminal act in order to be considered a criminal by OUR government!

Pay attention folks,this is one of the few times you are going to see ME siding with the NAACP and shouting "Sic 'em!"

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2021, 01:31:22 pm »
Kids from the wrong side of the tracks or whose parents took a wrong turn have been the focus of such for a long time.

@Smokin Joe

There is a HUGE difference between focusing on things like job training or after school learning/teaching programs for disadvantaged children of ALL races and genders in order to help them and their families crawl out of the holes they were born into,and just declaring them to officially be "Future Felons of America."

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2021, 01:39:18 pm »
@Smokin Joe

There is a HUGE difference between focusing on things like job training or after school learning/teaching programs for disadvantaged children of ALL races and genders in order to help them and their families crawl out of the holes they were born into,and just declaring them to officially be "Future Felons of America."
You'd be amazed at how many people who claim they are there to help only are there so they can feel "superior", and aren't really interested in helping one damned bit.
An amazing number of them allegedly make their professions "helping".
If the kid fails, almost a given under those circumstances, some excuse is made or the kid is blamed, and they are written off.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2021, 02:48:25 pm »
You'd be amazed at how many people who claim they are there to help only are there so they can feel "superior", and aren't really interested in helping one damned bit.

No,I wouldn't. The first two houses we lived in when I was a child in a medium-sized city had had no running water or inside toilet,and the "outhouse" was shared with 2 other families. The only heat came from a tin stove in the living room,and the oven in the kitchen. I would say "3" houses,but the first place we lived was an abandoned 40's travel trailer in the woods that didn't even have electricity.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 02:49:47 pm by sneakypete »