Author Topic: The Disaster of Green Energy  (Read 181 times)

rangerrebew

The Disaster of Green Energy
« on: August 14, 2021, 04:09:13 pm »

Posted on August 13, 2021 by John Hinderaker in Energy Policy
The Disaster of Green Energy

I didn’t write anything yesterday because my day was taken up with two anti-Green Energy events here in Minnesota. The first was a lunch in Albert Lea, which anti-wind activists drove up to four hours to attend. The second was a cocktail hour program in a Minneapolis suburb attended by more than 250. The speakers were Isaac Orr of Center of the American Experiment and Robert Bryce, one of the country’s top energy experts. The title of the program was “The Environmental Catastrophe of Wind and Solar Power,” although the program’s content was somewhat broader than that. What follows are a few of the slides from yesterday’s presentation that illustrate the foolishness of trying to power our electric grid–let alone our whole economy!–with wind and solar energy.

Along with inherent intermittency and ridiculously high cost, one of the fundamental problems with wind turbines and solar panels is that they require an enormous quantity of minerals. This is because they are such low-density sources of energy. This chart shows the amounts of copper, nickel etc. that it would take to build enough wind turbines to meet the existing electricity demand in just one state, Minnesota. Minnesota is almost exactly average in population, so you can estimate the national numbers by multiplying by 50. And this is just the U.S., not the world, and just to meet existing electricity demand, not to “electrify everything” with electric vehicles and much else, as many on the Left demand. The red dots show the percentage of existing global production of each of those materials represented by Minnesota demand alone. Click to enlarge:

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2021/08/the-disaster-of-green-energy.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+powerlineblog%2Flivefeed+%28Power+Line%29

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: The Disaster of Green Energy
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2021, 05:55:31 pm »
Good article. Explains why the whole GND doesn't add up, in terms of minerals production, and indicates that present sources would have the country in thrall to the CCP.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2021, 06:04:21 pm »
I drove across Oklahoma last week and was shocked at the number of windmills lining the route for miles on end.  What an eyesore.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2021, 06:32:29 pm »
I drove across Oklahoma last week and was shocked at the number of windmills lining the route for miles on end.  What an eyesore.
They are all over. Makes you wonder, with that much energy being converted to electricity, what effect that has on major air currents and atmospheric mixing, and whether that might produce more severe storms.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2021, 07:27:20 pm »
They are all over. Makes you wonder, with that much energy being converted to electricity, what effect that has on major air currents and atmospheric mixing, and whether that might produce more severe storms.

Funny you should mention that:  https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/10/181004112553.htm

The punchline from the article:
"Wind turbines generate electricity but also alter the atmospheric flow," says first author Lee Miller. "Those effects redistribute heat and moisture in the atmosphere, which impacts climate. We attempted to model these effects on a continental scale."

So, the answer to your question is yes, they do have a negative climatic impact.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2021, 08:13:35 pm »
Funny you should mention that:  https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/10/181004112553.htm

The punchline from the article:
So, the answer to your question is yes, they do have a negative climatic impact.
Which will, no doubt be blamed on the oil industry. **nononono*

C S Lewis