Author Topic: Taliban close to capturing US Embassy; 3,000 troops deploying to evacuate it  (Read 1246 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
American Military News  August 12, 2021 Ryan Morgan

On Thursday, Pentagon spokesman John Kirby confirmed two U.S. Marine Corps infantry battalions and one U.S. Army infantry battalion— a force of about 3,000 U.S. troops — will deploy to provide security as the U.S. Embassy in Kabul cuts its civilian personnel amid rapid Taliban territorial gains across Afghanistan.

Kirby said the three infantry battalions will move to Hamid Karzai Airport “within the next 24 to 48 hours.”

Kirby said a second joint Army-Air Force support element of around 1,000 personnel will begin to arrive in Qatar in the coming days to help facilitate the processing of special immigrant visas (SIVs) for Afghan individuals who assisted the U.S. and coalition forces throughout the 20-year mission in Afghanistan.

A third Infantry Brigade Combat Team (BCT) based out of Fort Bragg will also deploy to Kuwait “where they will be postured and prepared, if needed, to provide additional security at the airport.” Kirby said the BCT will arrive in Kuwait sometime next week.

“I want to stress that these forces are being deployed to support the orderly and safe reduction of civilian personnel at the request of the State Department and to facilitate the accelerated process of working through SIV applicants,” Kirby said.

More: https://americanmilitarynews.com/2021/08/reports-taliban-close-to-capturing-us-embassy-thousands-of-marines-prepping-to-evacuate-it/

Offline Kamaji

I hope the U.S. did a better job of destroying sensitive documents in the Afghan embassy than they did in the Tehran embassy in 1979 - the Iranians used carpet weavers to reconstruct the documents that embassy staff had shredded, resulting in the disclosure of a lot of sensitive information.

Offline mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

Please tell me that's a spoof from the Babylon Bee?
Nope. Before that, the State Department was asking the Taliban via Twitter please don't be mean, while hashtagging #humanrights. This entire administration is the least funny joke ever.

Offline mountaineer

Ian Miles Cheong @ stillgray.substack.com
@stillgray
Joe Biden decided to go on an impromptu vacation the moment it looked like Kandahar was going to fall. He’s gone for the weekend while Afghanistan burns under his watch.
8:12 AM · Aug 13, 2021

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I see another 444 day vigil coming up.  Too bad we have a different press than we had in 1979.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline skeeter

Ian Miles Cheong @ stillgray.substack.com
@stillgray
Joe Biden decided to go on an impromptu vacation the moment it looked like Kandahar was going to fall. He’s gone for the weekend while Afghanistan burns under his watch.
8:12 AM · Aug 13, 2021
It looks like this administration is gonna make the Carter look like Cicero. With no media criticism to act as a safety valve.

Offline PeteS in CA

I see another 444 day vigil coming up.  Too bad we have a different press than we had in 1979.

If LIEden is stupid enough to keep US embassy personnel at risk, and if the Talibanders seize the opportunity to take them hostage or kill them, the MSM aren't going to be able to cover up or white wash LIEden's multiple F-ups. Americans won't need Hostage Crisis Day ### nightly news reminders to recognize LIEden's F-ups.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
If LIEden is stupid enough to keep US embassy personnel at risk, and if the Talibanders seize the opportunity to take them hostage or kill them, the MSM aren't going to be able to cover up or white wash LIEden's multiple F-ups. Americans won't need Hostage Crisis Day ### nightly news reminders to recognize LIEden's F-ups.

Did you already forget Benghazi?  The press was gleefully touting the Youtube Video cause while busily sweeping anything blaming O'Bastard under the rug.  We're still considered conspiracy theorists by the left-wing wackos.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Kamaji

Except that it'll get swept under the carpet this time, not highlighted.  We no longer have a journalistic profession - we have a few isolated old-school journalists left here and there, but the the journalistic outlets, and their fellow travelers in big media (e.g., buckface), are now nothing more than lib/prog agit-prop mouthpieces.

Online corbe

Biden Sends 3,000 Troops, Offers Taliban Bribes, As Afghanistan Disaster Looms

Biden tried to negotiate with Islamic terrorists. He’s shocked they didn’t keep their word.

Fri Aug 13, 2021 Daniel Greenfield

Daniel Greenfield, a Shillman Journalism Fellow at the Freedom Center, is an investigative journalist and writer focusing on the radical Left and Islamic terrorism.

“The likelihood that there’s going to be a Taliban overrunning everything and owning the whole country is highly unlikely," Joe Biden claimed in July.

He denied an intelligence assessment that the Afghan government would fall in six months.

The current intelligence assessment is that the Taliban may take Afghanistan by September 11.

Biden has been reduced to bribing the Taliban with foreign aid in exchange for a promise not to attack the United States embassy in Kabul. The proposal to fund terrorists is criminally treasonous and since the ranks of the Taliban include any number of Jihadis, and their old Al Qaeda allies have a presence in Afghanistan, that’s setting up our diplomats to be killed.

Obama had his Benghazi, Biden is trying to have his own Saigon in dusty old Kabul.

<..snip..>

https://www.frontpagemag.com/fpm/2021/08/biden-sends-3000-troops-offers-taliban-bribes-daniel-greenfield/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
We have both a president weaker than Jimmuh as well as well as much weaker military leadership, once again I fear that Captain Dementia will make the Carter debacle look like the good old days.

Offline bilo

Does anyone want to point a finger at our military leadership? They had 20 years to turn the Afghan military into a solid force and a bunch of goat herders are rolling over them in no time at all.

If the Afghan govt was so corrupt that our military couldn't do their job why didn't they speak up?

I know Biden is a fool and those running our govt are incompetent, but this collapse was 20 years in the making.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Online DefiantMassRINO

It's like Saigon and Mogadishu had a child, named Kabul.

The Taliban's Vistor and Tourist Bureau would wise to rebrand Afghanistan as Freedomstan.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 07:58:47 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
This all is a culmination of failure of our government for every POTUS since "W". 

After 9-11, the whole response should have been a 24/7 man hunt for OBL, and his posse.  Kill them, and then move on. But no, thousands of brave military lives lost and $5T spent for nada for this quagmire....  I mean f'n nothing.

As far as the embassy, get the personnel out and use what MOAB's we have left to leave nothing but rubble.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 07:46:07 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online corbe

China and the Taliban Begin Their Romance

Beijing has its eyes set on using Afghanistan as a strategic corridor once U.S. troops are out of the way.

By Derek Grossman, a senior defense analyst at the Rand Corp.

The Taliban delegation leaves the hotel after meeting with representatives of Russia, China, the United States, Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Qatar in Moscow on March 19.

JULY 21, 2021, 11:45 AM

U.S. President Joe Biden’s announcement that U.S. troops will be gone from Afghanistan by Aug. 31 will remove the most formidable obstacle to total Taliban takeover of the country. The Taliban claim they already control as much as 85 percent of Afghan territory. In the absolute best-case scenario, the Afghan government and the Taliban might share power, but that seems increasingly like wishful thinking.

For 20 years, the United States’ presence in Afghanistan, though not always appreciated, has nevertheless served as a predictable and stabilizing force. Now, the prospect of renewed Taliban rule has sparked major anxiety among the region’s powers. For example, earlier this month, Indian Minister of External Affairs S. Jaishankar visited Moscow and Tehran while Taliban representatives were in each city, raising questions about whether back-channel negotiations are ongoing. Moscow is preparing to leverage the six-nation Collective Security Treaty Organization to address potential trouble at the Afghan-Tajik border, which is being taken over by the Taliban on the Afghan side. As Pakistan’s relations with the Afghan government rapidly unravel, Islamabad appears to have negotiated a quid pro quo with the Taliban to reject U.S. bases on Pakistani territory in exchange for the Taliban’s assistance in combating Pakistan’s own Taliban-style militants, the organization known as Tehrik-i-Taliban. Meanwhile, the Shanghai Cooperation Organization, an economic and security grouping comprising China, India, Pakistan, Russia, and four Central Asian states, met last week with future Afghan stability at the top of their agenda.

Amid all of this regional angst, China is quietly attempting to secure its interests in post-U.S. Afghanistan. Beijing has reportedly been actively engaging with Kabul on construction of the Peshawar-Kabul motorway, which would connect Pakistan to Afghanistan and make Kabul a participant in China’s massive infrastructure and investment plan, the Belt and Road Initiative. Up until now, Kabul has resisted participation in the initiative to avoid getting on the wrong side of Washington. Beijing is also building a major road through the Wakhan Corridor—a slim strip of mountainous territory connecting China’s westernmost province of Xinjiang to Afghanistan—and onward to Pakistan and Central Asia, complementing its existing road network through the region. Once completed, these new thoroughfares should enable Beijing to pursue its goals of increased trade with the region and natural resource extraction in Afghanistan. According to a 2014 report, Afghanistan may possess nearly a trillion dollars’ worth of extractable rare-earth metals locked within its mountains.

<..snip..>

https://foreignpolicy.com/2021/07/21/china-taliban-afghanistan-biden-troop-withdrawal-belt-road-geopolitics-strategy/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online corbe

Herion addicts everywhere are rejoicing, now that the mullahs are back in charge of their supply.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
U.S. Embassy Staff in Kabul Told to Destroy Computers, Sensitive Documents: Memo
Spencer Brown

Posted: Aug 13, 2021 2:00 PM

Evoking scenes from the movie Argo, staff at the U.S. embassy in Kabul, Afghanistan, have reportedly been directed to begin the process of destroying computers and sensitive documents in preparation to evacuate the outpost.

A memo obtained by National Public Radio outlines the steps American diplomats are taking:

The memo was written for staff at the embassy and shared with NPR on condition of anonymity.

Most will be evacuated by 3,000 U.S. troops on their way to Kabul to ensure a safe and orderly departure. The embassy will be evacuated and a very small consular staff will work in Kabul, the memo noted.

The embassy staffers were instructed to destroy sensitive documents and desktop computers before they leave, according to the document.

The memo comes after the Taliban's offensive toppled at least half of Afghanistan's provincial capitals in recent days and now stands just 30 miles outside Afghanistan's capital city.

more
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/spencerbrown/2021/08/13/us-embassy-staff-in-kabul-begin-destroying-computers-sensitive-documents-n2594121
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline bilo

This all is a culmination of failure of our government for every POTUS since "W". 

After 9-11, the whole response should have been a 24/7 man hunt for OBL, and his posse.  Kill them, and then move on. But no, thousands of brave military lives lost and $5T spent for nada for this quagmire....  I mean f'n nothing.

As far as the embassy, get the personnel out and use what MOAB's we have left to leave nothing but rubble.

:amen:

I would love to put all the blame on biden, but this was 20 years in the making and our military leadership lied about how it was going all along.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Online corbe

We were in Kabul in what, 11 days with the help of the Northern alliance.  We should have left then.  We suck at Nation Building.

Offline berdie

First let me say that I don't believe that we should have been there for 20 freakin' years.

When we first went into Afghanistan we had help from a group...the Northern Alliance? The Kurds were also fierce fighters. Have we lost that support or were the Kurds driven out of the country? It appears that northern Afghanistan (where the Kurds were located) fell first. This seems odd to me.

I can't believe that this decision was made over night. Why were the individuals to be evacuated not already out of there? Both the Afghanis and the American embassy staff should be long gone. A skeleton crew could have been left at the embassy and just a couple of helicopters sent in to evac them. Why have to send in 3000 troops with targets on their backs? I swear I heard the Pentagon spokesman at the press conference today say they were Ready Reserves.

I'm just angry over the way this was handled, I suppose. 9999hair out0000

Online corbe

IRAQ is gone too. 
   In hindsight, I too, blame GWB and especially Paul Bremer.
   The State Department was fuc'd even before hellary and kerry put the final touches on that CF.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Does anyone want to point a finger at our military leadership? They had 20 years to turn the Afghan military into a solid force and a bunch of goat herders are rolling over them in no time at all.

If the Afghan govt was so corrupt that our military couldn't do their job why didn't they speak up?

I know Biden is a fool and those running our govt are incompetent, but this collapse was 20 years in the making.
I agree.  The fault is much more on the military leaders as they abandoned the sense of winning wars and instead now concentrate on ensuring homosexuals and trans are not discriminated against.

There is no purpose for a military if it does not win wars it fights in.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington