Author Topic: J&J COVID Vaccine Thwarts Delta Breakthrough Infections In Large South African Trial  (Read 650 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
https://gothamist.com/news/jj-covid-vaccine-thwarts-delta-breakthrough-infections-large-south-african-trial-what-it-means-nyc

by Nsikan Akpan
August 6, 2021

The Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine showed substantial protection against two variants thought to threaten our immune system defenses, according to new results from a South African trial involving nearly 480,000 health care workers. The results arrive as worries of the delta variant surge grow in New York and nationwide—and as confidence remains low in the single-dose option from Johnson & Johnson despite a string of promising findings.

In a presentation live-streamed Friday, researchers behind the Sisonke study said that Johnson & Johnson's single-shot provided 71% protection against hospitalization with the delta variant, meaning it reduces the odds of this serious outcome by that much.
Advertisement

This efficacy slightly outmatched what they recorded against the beta variant, which was initially detected in South Africa late last year. Together, these levels of protection also mirrored what was reported in clinical trials when the vaccine was authorized in the U.S. this past winter.

(excerpt)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
In other words: this particular vaccine is just as effective against Delta and most of the other "vaccine-resistant" mutations spotted so far as it is against earlier variants. No dropoff whatsoever.

Online libertybele

....the single jab J&J vaccine protected between 91 to 96.2% of healthcare workers against death,” Gray said. ”We do not believe that there's a need for a booster at this stage...We see surprising durability in the immune response, for up to eight months."

So why the hesitancy with this vaccine? It seems to be more effective and last a little longer than the others.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
....the single jab J&J vaccine protected between 91 to 96.2% of healthcare workers against death,” Gray said. ”We do not believe that there's a need for a booster at this stage...We see surprising durability in the immune response, for up to eight months."

So why the hesitancy with this vaccine? It seems to be more effective and last a little longer than the others.
One, there was a canard that floated around alleging it was manufactured using aborted fetal tissue (it wasn't).

Two, everybody saw the top-line numbers of the mRNA shots with the 90%+ efficacy against infection, but then looked at the 70% or so of the J&J one-shot and decided that they wanted what they thought was better at the time. Well, J&J with one-shot is holding its own much better than the slow decline the two-shot mRNA shots are currently seeing (and far better than the two-shot AstraZeneca vaccine that much of the rest of the world was using that was based on the same tech but had worse results).

Three, J&J (like AstraZeneca) is based on GMO. They take a harmless, crippled adenovirus (that can't replicate) and engineer a coronavirus spike protein onto it. And most anti-vaxxers tend to be anti-GMO as well.

I can say that so far, J&J has worked well for me.

Online libertybele

One, there was a canard that floated around alleging it was manufactured using aborted fetal tissue (it wasn't).

Two, everybody saw the top-line numbers of the mRNA shots with the 90%+ efficacy against infection, but then looked at the 70% or so of the J&J one-shot and decided that they wanted what they thought was better at the time. Well, J&J with one-shot is holding its own much better than the slow decline the two-shot mRNA shots are currently seeing (and far better than the two-shot AstraZeneca vaccine that much of the rest of the world was using that was based on the same tech but had worse results).

Three, J&J (like AstraZeneca) is based on GMO. They take a harmless, crippled adenovirus (that can't replicate) and engineer a coronavirus spike protein onto it. And most anti-vaxxers tend to be anti-GMO as well.

I can say that so far, J&J has worked well for me.

Thank you for the information.  @jmyrlefuller did you have any symptoms after your received the vaccine? 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 10:39:00 pm by libertybele »

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Hoodat

Because it isn't part of the experiment.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Thank you for the information.  @jmyrlefuller did you have any symptoms after your received the vaccine?
One day after the shot, I had some mild flu-like symptoms (chills, fatigue) and dizziness, but nothing that interfered with my ability to go about my business. They were gone by the end of that day. The biggest lingering effect was the soreness in my arm (the injection hurt a little more than I expected), which lasted about a week. Long-term, nothing. On the whole, the effects were far lighter than those I know who took the Moderna shot.

Online libertybele

One day after the shot, I had some mild flu-like symptoms (chills, fatigue) and dizziness, but nothing that interfered with my ability to go about my business. They were gone by the end of that day. The biggest lingering effect was the soreness in my arm (the injection hurt a little more than I expected), which lasted about a week. Long-term, nothing. On the whole, the effects were far lighter than those I know who took the Moderna shot.

Thank you.  When the vaccines were rolled out, to me the J &J seemed the way to go.

Offline LegalAmerican

And even if someone gets the NEW COLD VIRUS...covid 19, CORONAVIRUS....it is a 99.97% recovery from the C.D.C.
Then we have treatments. There is no 'need' for any of these vaccines.  Has FLU shots stopped any one getting the flu?
The flu is still around but,  COVID HAD "CURED" all flus, cancers, diabetes, heart attacks..... common cold virus's. 
Cancer is a virus. What has happened to people?  (not talking about you liberty, this is in general). I know you believe in nature 'cures' too. We have them. ZINC for one, with correct combo.

Offline PeteS in CA

If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Fascinating.
Otherwise, why vaccinate against HPV for one.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline PeteS in CA

*****rollingeyes***** OK, and the thousands of other kinds of cancers are caused by viruses? *****rollingeyes*****
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Smokin Joe

*****rollingeyes***** OK, and the thousands of other kinds of cancers are caused by viruses? *****rollingeyes*****
When tobacco became the one stop boogeyman for cancer, a lot of research stopped.

In a nutshell, we know SOME things that are associated with cancer (radiation, asbestos, tobacco (likely 'hot' potassium from the soil), some other chemicals) enough to attribute those cancers to those things, which may well not be the only things that cause those cancers. I cant live in California, I'd be one big tumor (seems most everything causes cancer there if you read the labels). :laugh:
We even credit some parts of the electromagnetic spectrum to cancer growth, but not others (sunshine, but not RFI from your cell phone?)
We have one hell of a lot to learn, and we don't know the full extent of the effect of viruses on human cell growth.

But with increasing research on viruses and cancer, we find that things like SV-40, a contaminant in many of the polio vaccines of my youth, is linked to cancer. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC452549/ From journal article :
Recent studies have shown that primary human mesothelial cells respond to SV40 very differently from fibroblasts; the mesothelial cells are highly susceptible to SV40 infection and transformation.

Which may well mean that at least some of the Mesothelioma out there has a cause that has been mis-attributed to something other than a virus, a once common vaccine contaminant, or both may be a factor in Mesothelioma.  This is an aspect of cancer research and viral research that would have been a far better use of our taxpayer dollars than creating gain of function viral chimeras to unleash on the world.

But the bottom line is that instead of focusing on research, an awful lot of the money spent on cancer is spent on oncology (treatment/management) and "prevention" which means tons of dollars dumped into commercials like the "Cigarette Mash" in an effort to impose behavioural changes, but the research into causes has traditionally stopped at the first thing found, and does not necessarily present a complete picture.
Instead of attacking "second hand" or even "third hand smoke", perhaps other investigations could be undertaken to look for a causative pathogen. But then, it seems as if the research (grant or contribution based, including the Government) is aimed more at protecting or looting certain deep pockets than it is aimed at finding the answer.

YMMV, but do read the article I linked.

I am interested because a number of people I knew in my childhood have all died of the same form of cancer. I left that area at 17, they lived there all their lives, but the foods we ate, the exposures to chemicals we had were all very similar, and the question in my mind, aside from a genetic link between four of them, is whether we were all exposed to the same factors via whatever vector, be it chemical or pathogen or both working synergetically. We all ate seafood from the same estuary and wild game from that area as a large part of our diets, but worked in different jobs. So the question for me is one of what common factors we were exposed to which may have caused the cancer. We all got the Polio vaccine at the same time, so SV-40 is on the radar, too.

In short, we don't know. We (meaning the scientific research community, not me personally) have found the mechanisms by which viruses cause some cancers, but do not know the full extent of that. Other causative factors apply, such as 1/30,000,000 of a gram of weapons grade plutonium inhaled is a sure case of lung cancer--we know radiation can be a cause.
We believe that certain irritants (physical, radiological, or chemical) are a cause, but they may just exacerbate a condition which lets cells grow out of control by persistent irritation, causing repeated cell damage and making an environment where that short-circuited control mechanism is more likely to surface as as cancer, as opposed to more normal cell damage, death, and replacement, where the ordinary mechanisms which keep those processes regulated function normally.
This is complicated by the fact that not all viral infections, even of the same virus, lead to cancer, only certain strains of those viruses, which is why of the over 100 HPV strains out there only 14 are linked to cancer.

For those who want to prevent cancer, to find its causes, there is a lot of research yet to be done.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 10:03:40 pm by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online libertybele

When tobacco became the one stop boogeyman for cancer, a lot of research stopped.

In a nutshell, we know SOME things that are associated with cancer (radiation, asbestos, tobacco (likely 'hot' potassium from the soil), some other chemicals) enough to attribute those cancers to those things, which may well not be the only things that cause those cancers. I cant live in California, I'd be one big tumor (seems most everything causes cancer there if you read the labels). :laugh:
We even credit some parts of the electromagnetic spectrum to cancer growth, but not others (sunshine, but not RFI from your cell phone?)
We have one hell of a lot to learn, and we don't know the full extent of the effect of viruses on human cell growth.

But with increasing research on viruses and cancer, we find that things like SV-40, a contaminant in many of the polio vaccines of my youth, is linked to cancer. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC452549/ From journal article :
Which may well mean that at least some of the Mesothelioma out there has a cause that has been mis-attributed to something other than a virus, a once common vaccine contaminant, or both may be a factor in Mesothelioma.  This is an aspect of cancer research and viral research that would have been a far better use of our taxpayer dollars than creating gain of function viral chimeras to unleash on the world.

But the bottom line is that instead of focusing on research, an awful lot of the money spent on cancer is spent on oncology (treatment/management) and "prevention" which means tons of dollars dumped into commercials like the "Cigarette Mash" in an effort to impose behavioural changes, but the research into causes has traditionally stopped at the first thing found, and does not necessarily present a complete picture.
Instead of attacking "second hand" or even "third hand smoke", perhaps other investigations could be undertaken to look for a causative pathogen. But then, it seems as if the research (grant or contribution based, including the Government) is aimed more at protecting or looting certain deep pockets than it is aimed at finding the answer.

YMMV, but do read the article I linked.

I am interested because a number of people I knew in my childhood have all died of the same form of cancer. I left that area at 17, they lived there all their lives, but the foods we ate, the exposures to chemicals we had were all very similar, and the question in my mind, aside from a genetic link between four of them, is whether we were all exposed to the same factors via whatever vector, be it chemical or pathogen or both working synergetically. We all ate seafood from the same estuary and wild game from that area as a large part of our diets, but worked in different jobs. So the question for me is one of what common factors we were exposed to which may have caused the cancer. We all got the Polio vaccine at the same time, so SV-40 is on the radar, too.

Interesting information -- and I agree far too much money is spent on treatment rather then researching the cause.  We need to stop continually putting on bandaids and find the source.

I find it highly discouraging and actually questionable that so many medications that we are given cause side effects and the doctor's answers to those side effects are to treat the side effects with another medication!  So it's a snowball effect and I believe once we start taking medications and then additional medications, our bodies never have a chance to build up any kind of natural resistance. I believe it alters your body permanently never allowing the body to recover or do any healing on its own.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 10:20:14 pm by libertybele »

Offline Smokin Joe

Interesting information -- and I agree far too much money is spent on treatment rather then researching the cause.  We need to stop continually putting on bandaids and find the source.

I find it highly discouraging and actually questionable that so many medications that we are given cause side effects and the doctor's answers to those side effects are to treat the side effects with another medication!  So it's a snowball effect and I believe once we start taking medications and then additional medications, our bodies never have a chance to build up any kind of natural resistance. I believe it alters your body permanently never allowing the body to recover or do any healing on its own.
Thanks. In 1965, about 46% of Americans were tobacco smokers. After years of hiding advertisements (even from the side of race cars), and watching state approved antismoking commercials, and even being treated like jim crow targets virtually anywhere, but since this all started in the mid 60s the percentage of (adult) Americans who smoke declined from 25.5% in 1990 to about 14% in 2018 (still nearly one person in 7 is a smoker).

Apparently, there is a limit to how effective the teevee ads and even punitive regulations surrounding cigarette smoking are. They may even have a reverse psychological effect on the young, who are naturally rebellious.

What might be actually more effective in the fight against lung cancer (or cancer in general) is finding the mechanisms by which the body's self regulation of cell replenishment become messed up, why the abnormal cells aren't destroyed by the immune system, or don't die off without replicating, as they would under normal circumstances otherwise. Then, with that fundamental mechanism known, find a way to thwart/prevent it and not only stop tumor growth but let the body clean up the tumor and discard it. Those mechanisms should apply to most, if not all cancers which share that fundamental difference from other badly replicated or even normal cells which have reached the end of their life cycle.

C S Lewis

Offline art.prout

There is some research, but not nearly enough, in the mind-body aspects of cancers.

Offline Smokin Joe

There is some research, but not nearly enough, in the mind-body aspects of cancers.
Not sure if mental states cause the biochemistry that makes it easier for cancers to develop, or if the change in body chemistry alters mental states, but the link should be studied as well.

C S Lewis

Offline LMAO

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online libertybele

Cancer isn't technically a virus, but a virus can certainly contribute to cancer.

Offline Smokin Joe

Cancer isn't technically a virus, but a virus can certainly contribute to cancer.
Contribute? Or be a causative agent? I'm not saying viruses are responsible for all cancers, but the whole argument the medical establishment has been making for the HPV vaccine falls apart if HPV isn't a causative agent, for one. SV-40 appears to be involved in a number of other cancers.

C S Lewis

Online mountaineer

This "breakthrough" terminology is stupid, but since it's the vernacular, what're you going to do?
Massachusetts COVID Breakthrough Death Data Has Been Released
by Joe Kinsey about 3 hours ago
updated 16 minutes ago   

Newly released data from the Massachusetts Department of Public Health shows that a majority of the state’s breakthrough COVID deaths of those fully vaccinated resulted from underlying conditions. Age also appeared to be a factor. Vaccinated breakthrough cases in the state, of which there have been 100 (0.002% of all fully vaccinated citizens), have a median age of 82.5 years, the state’s data shows.

“The breakthrough cases that are sick enough to be hospitalized is generally older people and those with underlying conditions and who are immunocompromised,” Davidson Hamer, a Boston University infectious disease specialist, told the Boston Herald. “So the people who need to be really careful right now is older people and those who have underlying conditions and those who are immunocompromised.”

Data released by the state also shows that there have been 395 breakthrough hospitalizations (0.009% of the state’s vaccinated citizens) and that 57% of those hospitalized also had underlying health conditions. ...
Full story
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org