Author Topic: “Vitamin D – Hope Or Hype?” German Professor Says Widespread Deficiency Being Grossly Ignored  (Read 313 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
No Tricks Zone By P Gosselin on 4. August 2021

“Vitamin D – Hope Or Hype?” German Professor Says Widespread Deficiency Being Grossly Ignored

I’ve always thought I was getting enough vitamin D, but now realize I’ve been wrong. I’ll be boosting my daily supplement intake to 4000 IU/day.

Often the media and medical establishment spread disinformation about nutrition, the importance of a healthy, balanced diet and supplements.

In an excellent video: Vitamin D “Hope oder Hype”, Prof. Dr. Jörg Spitz looks at the importance of Vitamin D. He concludes that there’s an epidemic of Vitamin D deficiency and that public health officials and institutions are doing nothing about it.

The 90-minute video unfortunately is not available in English and due to time constraints I’m only able to provide you here some of the main takeaways:

Claims that most people aren’t really lacking vitamin D are false.

You can’t “tank up” on Vitamin in the wintertime by spending time in the sun. It doesn’t work because the sun’s rays at higher latitudes are well below a 45° angle and the needed UVB radiation doesn’t reach the surface.

88% of Germans have vitamin D levels under 30 nanograms per mL, which is far below the target range of 40-60 ng.

Only 6% of German women and 1% of German men supplement their Vitamin D intake.

More and more people, including kids, have become chronically Vitamin D deficient over recent years due to poor nutrition and indoor sedentary lifestyles.

-----

Risks

A lack of sun, Spitz says, is as dangerous as smoking.

If you’re below 20 nanograms/milliliter of Vitamin D, your chances of becoming chronically ill are 2 – 3 times greater.

You can’t get the needed Vitamin D through food intake alone. You have to synthesize it with sunlight absorbed by the roughly 2 square meters of skin you were given. Don’t use sunscreen too often.

More: https://notrickszone.com/2021/08/04/vitamin-d-hope-or-hype-german-professor-says-widespread-deficiency-being-grossly-ignored/

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

This is what I take. D3 alone can tend to clog your arteries, and the Vitamin K2 is excellent for your brain function.

Have went thru a couple of rounds of this, it has worked well for me, especially in the winter.
The Republic is lost.

Offline skeeter

I tried taking a vitamin D supplement and ended up with a somewhat embarrassing side effect. Back to taking a multivitamin now.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
I do D3+K, Zinc and a multi. I used to only do it in the Winter but it's all year long now.
Countdown to Resignation

Online rustynail

While they scare you with “variants,” Congress wants to make dietary supplements prescription only

Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) is once again attempting to eliminate your freedom to access dietary supplements, this time by slipping his own hidden bill into the upcoming appropriations bill...

https://www.newstarget.com/2021-07-30-variants-congress-wants-dietary-supplements-prescription-only.html

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
People deficient in Vitamin D are 14 times more likely to get severe Covid

JoNova 8/5/2021

https://joannenova.com.au/2021/08/people-deficient-in-vitamin-d-are-14-times-more-likely-to-get-severe-covid/#more-78845

How badly do our Health Ministers want to reduce Covid infections and deaths? Not much. If they were at all serious — before they hand out free vaccines, they’d hand out free Vitamin D supplements.

In a study conducted in a Galilee hospital, 26 percent of vitamin D-deficient coronavirus patients died, while among other patients the figure was at 3%.  — Times of Israel

If only black lives mattered?  Dark skins are so much more likely to be deficient, this is one of those absolutely easy wins for any politician, yet none of them are doing it?

Nearly half the people in the study were deficient, and half of those who were seriously deficient in Vitamin D would go on to develop a severe case. These were the people with levels below 20 ng/ml. Of all the people above that, only 10% would get a severe case. And just being “above 20ng” would still be classified as moderately deficient by many measures, yet it made such a huge difference.

It was a life and death thing — the mortality rate was 25%, fully five times higher for those who fell below the 20ng/ml bar.

The Israeli study looked at the Vitamin D levels of 1200 patients in their medical records before they got infected with Covid. This is important because although studies like the Indonesian study last year showed that people with low levels of Vitamin D were much more likely to die of Covid, those patients weren’t assessed until they turned up at hospital when  they were already sick. We couldn’t be sure that something about  Covid itself wasn’t chewing through the Vitamin D levels and causing the deficiency. So an Israeli team looked back through their records for up to 2 years to see what their last blood tests showed.

People with the lowest Vitamind D levels were the most likely to get severe Covid.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
The nutrition in food has declined significantly in the last few decades.  EVERYONE needs to supplement what they get from food.  EVERYONE!!!

And yes, according to a leading doctor heading viral research, he says to take large quantities of D3, Zinc, C, Magnesium, and Quercetin.  Maintaining proper levels of these vitamins and minerals, and he indicates getting COVID will be greatly reduced.

Ever since I got COVID, I have been taking much higher levels of the above than I normally do to elevate my levels.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
I take a vitamin D pill every morning plus a multivitamin and a biotin chewy.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I take a vitamin D pill every morning plus a multivitamin and a biotin chewy.

My wife takes 1000 IU vitamin D daily with the rest of her many pills. I need to take mine more often than I do. One of the articles I read yestdy though, stated 4,000 IU daily for adults.  I need look into the dosage more.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
My wife takes 1000 IU vitamin D daily with the rest of her many pills. I need to take mine more often than I do. One of the articles I read yestdy though, stated 4,000 IU daily for adults.  I need look into the dosage more.

That would be great @Elderberry i am like your wife that I take a 1000 IU pill each day.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Polly Ticks

Chalk me up in the 5000IU daily club.  My bloodwork around the time of my surprise heart surgery a year and a half ago showed that I was profoundly deficient in Vitamin D, and I wonder if that was a contributor to my issue.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra