Author Topic: The US Navy Is Reversing Its Fighter-Jet Design Philosophy  (Read 141 times)

rangerrebew

The US Navy Is Reversing Its Fighter-Jet Design Philosophy
« on: August 06, 2021, 11:37:01 am »
 The US Navy Is Reversing Its Fighter-Jet Design Philosophy
NavAir commander says the next-gen plane will be designed around certain cutting-edge technologies.

By Marcus Weisgerber
Global Business Editor
August 3, 2021

The U.S. Navy plans to design a new-generation fighter jet around different types of technology—as opposed to designing an aircraft and then trying to pack it with technology after the fact, a top admiral said.

Vice Adm. Dean Peters, the Naval Air Systems Command commander, described a shift in the design philosophy of high-performance fighter jets.

“The most important thing that's going to happen with this with Next Generation [Air Dominance] is that we're going to take all of those technologies that we've developed, those enabling technologies, and instead of picking a platform and then figuring out how to wedge those enabling technologies into it, or not be able to wedge those into it, we're gonna start with the enabling technologies, and make that part of the criteria for what the aircraft looks like on the other end,” Peters said at the Navy League’s Sea Air Space convention in National Harbor, Maryland.

https://www.defenseone.com/technology/2021/08/us-navy-reversing-its-fighter-jet-design-philosophy/184269/

rangerrebew

Re: The US Navy Is Reversing Its Fighter-Jet Design Philosophy
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 11:37:51 am »
What if the new "design" makes it look like a submarine - and just as fast. :whistle:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2021, 06:34:59 am »
That is much the approach taken with the A-10, design the aircraft around the primary weapon.
The results were not sexy, but whatta plane.

I'm waiting to see what they come up with.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

rangerrebew

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2021, 09:29:59 am »

I'm waiting to see what they come up with.

So are the Russians and Chinese, though I wouldn't be surprised if they already know.